Blister Care

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
EggMcMuffin
Tadpole

Post by EggMcMuffin »

Has anyone ever heard of cynoacrylate (C.A.)? It is a type of super glue; I believe it is the same stuff that the liquid band-aids are made out of. I've used it to effectively close small cuts, and I was wondering if anyone has tried it on thier feet; it also hardens your skin to form a sort of callous. If no one has tried it, I'll be the guinea pig and try it on the sore spots on my feet the next time I go rucking, and see how it does. :P
USAFA-CAP
SWR-TX-441

With my left hand and the internet, anyone's my girlfriend.

"We must remember that one man is much the same as another,
and he is best who is trained in the severest school." -Thucydidies
EggMcMuffin
Tadpole

Post by EggMcMuffin »

Thanks for the info, Ranger Desert Sloth and Doc. 8) I didn't even think of the glue sealing the infections in.
USAFA-CAP
SWR-TX-441

With my left hand and the internet, anyone's my girlfriend.

"We must remember that one man is much the same as another,
and he is best who is trained in the severest school." -Thucydidies
pjd
Ranger

Post by pjd »

Here's a shot of my feet after an average day of work in the civilian world. I wear the standard issue black wool socks, combat boots and BDUs for my job. Walk an average of 4,000 steps an hour for 7-14 hours a day.
Hope you aren't eating while reading this! :evil:

All DEPShits need to start toughening their feet before they go in, or you're feet'll be 10 times worse than mine. When in garrison, dont wear socks under your boots. That'll help build callouses. On long marches, wear a thin nylon sock under your black wool socks. Always powder your feet with Goldbond Powder (also put it on your balls when you get out of the shower - it's a party in your pants), and put some powder in your boots when you're not wearing them to absorb moisture. Put on clean dry socks whenever posiible. If it's cold and wet out (which is always is) and you've been walking for 15 hours, don't take off your boots right away unless you know that it's going to be a while before you have to put them back on - your feet will swell up like baloons and it'll be a miracle if you can get them back in your boots when it's time to move out. Keep your toe nails trim - don't be like me in my picture above. Don't peel the skin off of blisters when they pop - the dead skin provides a layer of protection between your raw skin and your boots, and will help keep the raw skin from drying up and cracking. Always break your boots in while in garrison; dont take new boots into the field, unless you're a sadist.
The blisters in the picture above are nothing compared to the ones I had in RIP/Regt. No matter what prevention measures you take, you will still get some nasty feet, but if you are smart and pro-active, you can keep the open sores to a minimum. BTW, that black shit on my feet is from the socks, it's not gangreen :twisted:
ChipOnShoulder

Compede.

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

The next time your humpin' and your dogs start barking from the blisters, stop, change your socks, powder your feet and drive on. Don't put anything special on your feet. Guys that have been Rangering for years get blisters and lose toe nails - hey! It's part of the job. As far as treatment afterward, there are three options:

A: Don't do shit and let your feet heal and calous naturally.

B: Needle to drain the blisters, followed by moleskin doughnuts, and some vagisil. :twisted:

C: A new revolutionary product called Compede. You basically either debreed (cut off the skin) over your raw meat and then apply, or just apply on top of the drained blister. Compede is almost like a synthetic second skin, or synthetic temporary calous. Use tincure of benzoin as an adhesive.

Option C is probably the best if you are going down to the Traffic Light Lounge after the big 30 miler.

Option B: Is the next best, especially if you have to go out to formation right after the hump.

Option A: Is what I used to do to myself for about three days after being Crippled by one of those McCrystal inspired humps.

Lots of TLC

Doc Cook
Narrow Gauge RR
Tadpole

Post by Narrow Gauge RR »

Great info Ranger's. I have recently started wearing jungle boots for work and they are pretty damn rough the first couple days. I'm a barber so I'm on my feet 8-10 hours a day but I still had some hot spots come up....used the tincture of benzoine and it is definitely the real deal.
...I turned down their dope. And I turned down their stupid trends. And the hippies always hated me, because they were preaching peace and love and I was loading a .44 magnum.
Ted Nugent

What's a fart? A turd honking for right of way.

Return to “Medical Issues”