Parachute may belong to famed hijacker

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

2DenY wrote:Treasure hunters are searching for the other cash. He jumped out of the airplane with a chute, maybe he thought he was a Ranger...I don’t know...
SHUT UP DEP ! Do some damn P.T. or something. :roll:

o.k., my opinion:

I don't think that anyone should steal from another person. Had I or anyone one of us been on that plane, D.B. Cooper would have required medical attention upon landing.

Forcefully taking someone's money or items of value is NOT acceptable, no matter how " hollywood " it is. Period.

However, on a side note, IF he did live, then he is a very, very rare breed of criminal. A criminal who is smart, does his homework, strikes once, and is never heard of again.

My .02
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

RANGER513 wrote:
2DenY wrote:Treasure hunters are searching for the other cash. He jumped out of the airplane with a chute, maybe he thought he was a Ranger...I don’t know...

o.k., my opinion:

I don't think that anyone should steal from another person. Had I or anyone one of us been on that plane, D.B. Cooper would have required medical attention upon landing.

Forcefully taking someone's money or items of value is NOT acceptable, no matter how " hollywood " it is. Period.

However, on a side note, IF he did live, then he is a very, very rare breed of criminal. A criminal who is smart, does his homework, strikes once, and is never heard of again.

My .02
That's why if he's alive he needs to be brought to justice. Make an example of him with a very long prison term. If he's alive...
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
RANGER513
Ranger

Re: ,

Post by RANGER513 »

Chiron wrote:
RANGER513 wrote:

o.k., my opinion:

My .02
That's why if he's alive he needs to be brought to justice. Make an example of him with a very long prison term. If he's alive...

I agree......but IF he is alive, that skippy must be getting kinda old ! Not sure how long the prison sentance would be before he kicked in the bucket !
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

Chiron
Ranger

Re: ,

Post by Chiron »

RANGER513 wrote:
Chiron wrote:
RANGER513 wrote: SHUT UP DEP ! Do some damn P.T. or something. :roll:

o.k., my opinion:

My .02

I agree......but IF he is alive, that skippy must be getting kinda old ! Not sure how long the prison sentance would be before he kicked in the bucket !
So he kicks the bucket in jail... But what else is there? Have him also pay back the $$ if there is any left. Or make him make a huge donation to a charity and go to jail.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

RANGER513 wrote:IF he did live, then he is a very, very rare breed of criminal. A criminal who is smart, does his homework, strikes once, and is never heard of again.

Several times during my banking career I had encounters with "bank robbers" - internal, external. armed, break-in, etc. etc.

In every case they were caught, not because the LEOs were that clever, but because the perps were that stupid. Nothing against LEOS, who as a class hold my high respect, but even the most clever crooks are eventually found out and/or caught by routine investigative procedure.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

Lefty wrote:
RANGER513 wrote:IF he did live, then he is a very, very rare breed of criminal. A criminal who is smart, does his homework, strikes once, and is never heard of again.

Several times during my banking career I had encounters with "bank robbers" - internal, external. armed, break-in, etc. etc.

In every case they were caught, not because the LEOs were that clever, but because the perps were that stupid. Nothing against LEOS, who as a class hold my high respect, but even the most clever crooks are eventually found out and/or caught by routine investigative procedure.

Yup, your actually very correct. I believe that 98 or 99 percent of ALL criminals are caught due to thier own stupid mistakes. The clever ones just take a little longer to catch, but in the end, they DO get caught.

Job security. 8)
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

RTO
BANNED

Cash linked to ‘D.B. Cooper’ up for auction

Post by RTO »

Scuba Wino!
Here's your chance to get some of that money!

15 bills from hijacking are being sold by man who found them in 1980
Brian Ingram displays one of the $20 bills that he found in 1980 and which were later tied to skyjacker "D.B. Cooper."

DALLAS - A boy who found the lone piece of evidence linked to the world's only unsolved skyjacking is now a 30-something father of five who has decided to start selling his treasure.

Brian Ingram was an 8-year-old on a family camping trip when he discovered three bundles of deteriorating $20 bills on the shore of the Columbia River near Portland, Ore., in 1980. The money turned out to be some of the $200,000 ransom D.B. Cooper was carrying when he parachuted from a plane after a 1971 hijacking.

Now Ingram's taking some of his find to auction, offering 15 bills through Dallas-based Heritage Auction Galleries. The live and online auction was announced Monday and scheduled for June 13-14.

Link...
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

DB Cooper works here in town at the local Burger King with Elvis.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

By GENE JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer
15 minutes ago

SEATTLE - A tangled, torn parachute found buried last month last month is not the one used by plane hijacker D.B. Cooper when he bailed out of a plane over the Pacific Northwest, the FBI said Tuesday. Investigators reached that conclusion after speaking with parachute experts, including Earl Cossey, who packed the chutes provided to Cooper that rainy November night in 1971.

ADVERTISEMENT

"From the best we could learn from the people we spoke to, it just didn't look like it was the right kind of parachute in any way," said FBI spokeswoman Robbie Burroughs.

Further digging at the site in southwestern Washington turned up no indication that it could have been Cooper's, she added.

A man calling himself Dan Cooper — later mistakenly identified as D.B. Cooper — hijacked a Northwest Orient passenger jet from Portland, Ore., to Seattle on Nov. 24, 1971.

At Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, he released the passengers in exchange for $200,000 and four parachutes and asked to be flown to Mexico. He jumped out the back of the plane somewhere near the Oregon line.

Some of the cash has been found, but his fate is unknown, and investigators doubt he survived.

Children playing near a recently graded road found the parachute, and they urged their father to call the FBI because they had seen recent news stories about Cooper's case. The parachute was the right color, and the location was in the middle of what could have been Cooper's landing zone.

That got the attention of FBI agent Larry Carr, who drove to the site to see the find for himself.

But Cossey told Carr that Cooper's parachute was made of nylon. The one the children found was made of silk and did not feature a harness container. Cossey sold parachutes at a skydiving operation in Issaquah in the 1970s.

Cossey has been through the drill before; this is the third time the FBI has asked him to examine parachutes to see whether they might have been Cooper's.

One chute found long ago — he couldn't remember when — was just a "pilot chute," used to pull the main chute out of the pack. The other time, in 1988, it was a parachute found by a Columbia River diver seeking clues to Cooper's fate.

"They keep bringing me garbage," Cossey said. "Every time they find squat, they bring it out and open their trunk and say, 'Is that it?' and I say, 'Nope, go away.' Then a few years later they come back."

Cossey, though sounding cantakerous, appeared to relish the spotlight Tuesday. He answered his cell phone with "D.B. Cooper" and said he got a kick out of telling some reporters that the parachute was, in fact, the hijacker's.

One reporter called him back angrily, saying he could be fired for writing a false story, but another said the newsroom enjoyed the April Fool's joke.

"I'm getting mixed reviews," Cossey said. "But I'm having fun with it; what the heck."
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

No body, no remains so he's still missing. I would speculate that he made it until the remains are found.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

There was a great show recently on Discovery about him. Apparently, less than a year after the DB Cooper hijacking there was another one. Same exact MO, almost down to the letter but for more money. This guy, however was caught, tried, and convicted. He eventually escaped, but was tracked down and killed on the run. The dude never copped to the first one and they had no real evidence linking him.. just the composite sketch, profile and description. Next to the guys mug shot they look identical, and he had the right background; Vietnam vet, SF with HALO background.

My guess is the guy lost the money on the way down, got pissy and decided to do it again for more.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:There was a great show recently on Discovery about him. Apparently, less than a year after the DB Cooper hijacking there was another one. Same exact MO, almost down to the letter but for more money. This guy, however was caught, tried, and convicted. He eventually escaped, but was tracked down and killed on the run. The dude never copped to the first one and they had no real evidence linking him.. just the composite sketch, profile and description. Next to the guys mug shot they look identical, and he had the right background; Vietnam vet, SF with HALO background.

My guess is the guy lost the money on the way down, got pissy and decided to do it again for more.
This is the best theory I've heard yet. Damn, that would have been a good show to watch. Maybe I'll catch it on re-runs soon.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

RTO wrote:
The Sleepy Doc wrote:There was a great show recently on Discovery about him. Apparently, less than a year after the DB Cooper hijacking there was another one. Same exact MO, almost down to the letter but for more money. This guy, however was caught, tried, and convicted. He eventually escaped, but was tracked down and killed on the run. The dude never copped to the first one and they had no real evidence linking him.. just the composite sketch, profile and description. Next to the guys mug shot they look identical, and he had the right background; Vietnam vet, SF with HALO background.

This is the best theory I've heard yet. Damn, that would have been a good show to watch. Maybe I'll catch it on re-runs soon.
I think they are gonna re-run it pretty soon. If it is the same show I'm thinking of it's really worth a look. Obviously, they can't say he did it for sure, but everything points to it being the same dude.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Americans have a love affair with outlaws, look at pirates, jesse james, etc.

D.B. Cooper story is fascinating as hell. I hope he lived and got away too.

Return to “The News Dump”