Any Riders here?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Work commute, mainly. So, probably mostly 30-40 mph with some 60-70 mph stretches in it. I was figuring I'd have to spend a fair amount on protective gear. Any time I see someone riding in short and flipflops, it irritates me. I was just trying to figure out what sort of material I should be looking for, visibility, etc.

I've been doing a bit of digging on Dynax nylon, since it seemed to be the cheapest, without being ridiculously cheap (I'm not trusting a $50 jacket to save my ass), but I can't find anything regarding its strength or melting point. Best I've been able to find is that two guys wearing it crashed, one at 30 and one at 40 and came out OK.

Ah, well.

I should mention that I have a few leather jackets of decent thickness, but they're all black. I'm not sure about how good an idea that is. I plan on riding in a metro area, with plenty of stupid drivers, mostly at night.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
meech1k
USMC Veteran

Post by meech1k »

EvilCouch wrote:Work commute, mainly. So, probably mostly 30-40 mph with some 60-70 mph stretches in it. I was figuring I'd have to spend a fair amount on protective gear. Any time I see someone riding in short and flipflops, it irritates me. I was just trying to figure out what sort of material I should be looking for, visibility, etc.

I've been doing a bit of digging on Dynax nylon, since it seemed to be the cheapest, without being ridiculously cheap (I'm not trusting a $50 jacket to save my ass), but I can't find anything regarding its strength or melting point. Best I've been able to find is that two guys wearing it crashed, one at 30 and one at 40 and came out OK.

Ah, well.

I should mention that I have a few leather jackets of decent thickness, but they're all black. I'm not sure about how good an idea that is. I plan on riding in a metro area, with plenty of stupid drivers, mostly at night.
my favorite is the squids who wear their helmets, not on their heads, but on the sides of their bikes...WTF? Oh well, gotta love them for taking care of population control all by themselves.

any who as for visibility, what about the military road guard vest? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't be too concerned about the jacket for visibility for night riding. Get the HID kit and they won't be able to miss you then :wink:

Look for a jacket that's preforated (if you live in a hot climate) and most importantly fits well so if you ever crash the back end doesn't go sliding up exposing your back and sides.

You can get a good leather jacket for under $200

http://www.newenough.com/product_group_ ... eather.htm

I like denniskirk.com and motostrano.com as well
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

I don't know about the textiles, but Fox Creek has some nice shit.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I have ordered lots of stuff from NewEnough.com and can't say too much on how happy I am with their service. Good Gear, Damn good prices... Whatever you wear, is gonna be better than nothing. But, I would definately get the best gear you can, it will save you money down the road.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

meech1k wrote:good luck with that. :cry:

Rider here myself (and trackday junkie!) Actually going down to Putnam in Indiana this weekend for a little twistie action

(I'm the one in the front of course :lol: )
Hey Meech... is that a Seven Fiddy or a 1K? I can't tell by the headlight...

Pretty nice form ya got there too... what track is that?
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Wow, looks like I have plenty of places to search around for gear. Thanks!
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

EvilCouch wrote:Wow, looks like I have plenty of places to search around for gear. Thanks!
Hey there EC... let me give my buddy a shameless plug...

His name is James Campbell... he is a former Army NCO, that went into the Air Force to fly MH-53's for a while. He got out, opened up www.blackhawkcustoms.com and is really getting big in the custom chopper scene.

He loves RANGERS, SF, Air Force Spec Ops, and Tollerates SEAL's... he takes the STAR card, and handles all sorts of items. He gives a decent 20% off for Military... and is a great guy. If you wanna keep purchases 'in the family' you can order things through him. He can get pretty much anything you want, and will beat the best price you can find. I don't get any kickbacks from him, but I have been ordering from him when I need shit.

Another place I use alot besides www.newenough.com is Brockton Cycle out of New York.

Anyway... good luck on your gear selection... be safe, and keep the rubber side down.

Cheers!!!
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
meech1k
USMC Veteran

Post by meech1k »

GSXRanger wrote:
meech1k wrote:good luck with that. :cry:

Rider here myself (and trackday junkie!) Actually going down to Putnam in Indiana this weekend for a little twistie action

(I'm the one in the front of course :lol: )
Hey Meech... is that a Seven Fiddy or a 1K? I can't tell by the headlight...

Pretty nice form ya got there too... what track is that?
Thanks. It's a 1k, lots of work on the track but fun. I think that track was Autobahn North (it's a brand new track so the road is PERFECT and you can really stick through the turns). It has 2 nice decreasing radius turns and a double apex at the end before a straight away. Very well laid out. I was going to head out to Vegas for the women's only demo day this year but I couldn't get enough info on it. Sounded like we could rail through the corners on the demo bikes (now what fun is that??? :lol: )
Ranger snaplink
Ranger

little late here

Post by Ranger snaplink »

Just want to know if there are any Rangers who ride on the central coast or close to it.
When they kick at your front door
How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head
Or on the trigger of your gun-The Clash

1/75 Aco 2-1 '00-'02
HHC '02-'03
OEF I
OIF I
5/19 SFG
Ranger175csar
Ranger

Post by Ranger175csar »

What the fuck is the central coast???

Center of the East Coast????...Center of the West Coast.????... any coast line in Central America????... or.... is it some beach along the Mississippi?????
Collins

1/75 HHC 94-96 S-4
RIP CLASS 7-94

Fuck em if they cant take a joke.....
Ranger snaplink
Ranger

There is only one "central coast". Likewise, there is really only one state, CALIFORNIA.
How you gonna come?

1/75 Aco 2-1 '00-'02
HHC '02-'03
OEF I
OIF I
5/19 SFG
GSXRanger
Ranger

Re: little late here

Post by GSXRanger »

Ranger snaplink wrote:Just want to know if there are any Rangers who ride on the central coast or close to it.
I am in Monterey, CA... and I ride a GSXR 1000... so, I can be ANYWHERE... FAST!!! 8)
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Anyone ride a vintage or classic bike?
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Ranger175csar wrote:What the fuck is the central coast???

Center of the East Coast????...Center of the West Coast.????... any coast line in Central America????... or.... is it some beach along the Mississippi?????
You're from Texas, aren't you? :roll:
Ranger snaplink
Ranger

RTO wrote:
Ranger175csar wrote:What the fuck is the central coast???

You're from Texas, aren't you? :roll:
Obviously that cannot be. He spelled everything correctly and his grammar is above the third grade level :lol:
How you gonna come?

1/75 Aco 2-1 '00-'02
HHC '02-'03
OEF I
OIF I
5/19 SFG

Return to “The Mosh Pit”