Juvenile Criminal Record

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Stanley Goodspeed
Embryo

Juvenile Criminal Record

Post by Stanley Goodspeed »

Several months ago (August), I was charged with and technically arrested for a felony charge of possession of stolen property (Value: $450). Following any further investigation, I would be referred to a juvenile probation officer, as I committed my crime when I was only seventeen years old.

Yesterday was when the Juvenile Probation Department finally picked up my case, and after a lengthy discussion with my probation officer, I've been informed of the possible outcomes:

1. Delayed Entry of Judgement. This is a program that causes the offender to serve one year (non-negotiable) of probation, maintain grades, participate in community service and in my case, pay restitution. At the termination of this one year, all records, including juvenile records, police reports, and so on, are physically destroyed, and any data on electronic media deleted. The only indication of the offense is a "DEJ File" which simply states that I committed a felony (not the charge) and satisfactorily completed probation for it. As far as the probation officer could tell me, this file was restricted beyond even juvenile records, and hence inaccessible to anyone but the Juvenile Probation Department.

2. If the District Attorney is feeling especially gracious, the charge can be dropped from a felony to a misdemeanor, and only restitution can be required from me.

---

This has raised multiple questions for me:

1. Is the DEJ file truly inaccessible and as such, would not be available and/or not a factor during my enlistment?

2. Would the DEJ be preferable to a reduction to a misdemeanor, or would the latter be a better outcome?

3. Finally, how badly have I affected my chances of enlistment in the Army? What about acquiring an Option 40?

Thank you for any and all answers on the subject at hand. I understand that I am a monumental fuckup for doing this in the first place, and now am simply endeavoring to overcome my own stupidity and get back on target.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I personally think that since you committed this "crime" since you've become a member of this site, you should be told to promptly Fuck off!

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be. One-hundred-percent and then some.

Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

i'm going to bed. i'll answer this when i feel like it.

i do agree with Ranger Silverback.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Stanley Goodspeed
Embryo

Post by Stanley Goodspeed »

Ranger Silverback, the actual date that I committed the crime was prior to my registration, but due to delays, I was not formally charged with it until after.

As for the crime, myself and two others stole solar-powered "lawn lights" off of the lawns of two houses.

Prior and following the crime, I have had no problems with maintaining myself legally and morally. I do not drink, smoke, or imbibe any sort of illicit drug.

I understand that my actions were absolutely stupid, and are reason for heavy embarassment, but am now seeking to resolve them and their consequences and move on with my objective.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I'm locking this thread. If SFC Hit_it feels like answering your questions he'll do it via PM!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “Recruitment Process”