What is evaluated at RS? Those Batt boys are lucky!

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
DS1979
Embryo

What is evaluated at RS? Those Batt boys are lucky!

Post by DS1979 »

Rangers, question.....From my readings i've noticed a lot of the guys from 75th saying that every private they send to RS never comes back a failure....thats quite an accomplishment i have to admit, and i'm sure its due to the vast amount of training they're getting in that one year while at Batt.....whether they know it or not, those PFC's are getting the best pre ranger school training that their possibly is....

now take guys like myself for example, who will be going thru IOBC....it is clearly stated at IOBC that OBC does not and will not prepare you for ranger school.....it is the individual soldiers responsibility to prepare himself for ranger school....so outside of PT and physical stuff, what are the things that are evaluated and covered at Ranger school.....obviously infantry tactics but what exactly in detail.....is there a manual or something of the sort that i can pick up that will explain in detail what i need to know and how to best prepare for it....

Also, i'm still 4 months away from commissioning and going to IOBC, but what can I start doing now, to prepare myself for Ranger school....im trying to get mentally ready and focused.....I'm hungry and I want it...and i wanna get my mind right....
BadMuther
BANNED

Re: What is evaluated at RS? Those Batt boys are lucky!

Post by BadMuther »

DS1979 wrote:Rangers, question.....From my readings i've noticed a lot of the guys from 75th saying that every private they send to RS never comes back a failure....thats quite an accomplishment i have to admit, and i'm sure its due to the vast amount of training they're getting in that one year while at Batt.....whether they know it or not, those PFC's are getting the best pre ranger school training that their possibly is....

now take guys like myself for example, who will be going thru IOBC....it is clearly stated at IOBC that OBC does not and will not prepare you for ranger school.....it is the individual soldiers responsibility to prepare himself for ranger school....so outside of PT and physical stuff, what are the things that are evaluated and covered at Ranger school.....obviously infantry tactics but what exactly in detail.....is there a manual or something of the sort that i can pick up that will explain in detail what i need to know and how to best prepare for it....

Also, i'm still 4 months away from commissioning and going to IOBC, but what can I start doing now, to prepare myself for Ranger school....im trying to get mentally ready and focused.....I'm hungry and I want it...and i wanna get my mind right....
Dude, plenty of Batt boys and other lower enlisted get dropped from Ranger School-without their shit.....
You know what I witnessed in my class? Lower enlisted dropped and all the IOBC officers pushed through....So "Batt boys are lucky" has nothing to do with it. Luck is a big factor in RS and being an IOBC puke is only going to go in your favor IMHO.
Last edited by BadMuther on December 22nd, 2004, 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

The things that cause many of us to feel like IOBC grads are not ready for Ranger School is because of things you can't learn from a book. The vast majority of Ranger School students are:

1. a PFC from a Ranger Batt who has field experience, and has had time to learn a few tricks of the trade.

or

2. a cherry officer right out of IOBC who has not. They can plan an OPORD, but they don't know shit about fieldcraft becuase they have not had any measurable time IN the field to that point.

Or at least that is my observation. I can't remember how many cherry butter bars I had to teach how to pack their ruck so they could handle the weight involved. They had no clue. But in reality, it isn't their fault. Actually, I think it may be in the design of things for them to be taught by men they may actually be commanding somewhere down the road. Its a sink or swim situation for officers attending school. The smartest thing you can do is to recognize that, early in the course, you can and should learn just as much from the Batt Boys (fieldcraft) than you will from the RIs. Officers that can't get over that fact, and over the fact that you are learning from a soldier that you "outrank" are usually the ones that don't last long.

The best thing you can do is to study a Ranger Handbook, although most of it ain't gonna mean shit to you until you get asshole deep into the course. Make sure your heart and soul are as focussed and as hard as you can get them, and when you get put into your squad, you help the Batt boys out with their planning (your strength), and they will help you out with the fieldcraft (their strength) you'll need to learn. That's they way it is supposed to work. You are gonna be fucked up when you get there, and you won't be the first officer to be so, and you sure as Hell won't be the last.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
DS1979
Embryo

Post by DS1979 »

Ranger Badmuther, what i meant by LUCKY, i meant they are lucky that they have all that great training prior to attending the school....Thats what i meant....I know getting thru ranger school isnt about luck necessarily.....and now that your telling me plenty of batt boys get dropped, then i guess its a toss up as to whether or not you'll pass....i was only going by what i've read from other peoples threads, where someone said "every private ive sent thru never came back a failure"....

Personally being an E6, Drill Sgt, i'm pretty humble and i know i dont know it all....and I have no problems learning from someone that knows more than me...whether its a general or an E1 private.....

Having said that, I guess maybe it is in the design of the course for those lower enlisted guys to learn from officers who know how to write and plan opords, and for the officers to learn from the guys who have time IN the field....Thanks for the replies Rangers..

Anyone else with anything to add, please do so.....

DS
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

I didnt learn a damned thing from the Officers,... technical, tactical or otherwize except maybe to watch my back because they would fuck an enlisted man Combat Quick. Not all of them mind you.

The School teached the course well and your Ranger Handbook is as good a "guide" as has been written.

Enlisted Ranger Batt guys do go and fail, usually because of injury, peer, or patrols. It happens. Not all can step up and lead and for that matter, they shouldnt. The school does elimintate weakness. Keep in mind, it is a Leadership course.

You will learn one thing. Take care of yourself FIRST! You can't take care of others if your fucked up.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

DS1979 wrote:
Having said that, I guess maybe it is in the design of the course for those lower enlisted guys to learn from officers who know how to write and plan opords, and for the officers to learn from the guys who have time IN the field....Thanks for the replies Rangers..

Anyone else with anything to add, please do so.....

DS
When I went the officers had the early opords and then after the first few it could have been anyone. I don't know if that was intentional or not. I know I gave a few including one in PreRanger. I was told my Opord in mountains was great but I got a no go on the movement even though when the night went to shit I wasn't in a leadership position anymore. The RI's basically failed anyone in a leadership position that night because we walked all night and it was raining. It was quite a miserable night.

I had a few hallucinations that night. I thought for some reason we were headed for one of the RI's hunting cabin and I could see it's lights through the trees. We were going to have soup when we got there too.

Ranger2
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Ranger2 wrote:[

I had a few hallucinations that night. I thought for some reason we were headed for one of the RI's hunting cabin and I could see it's lights through the trees. We were going to have soup when we got there too.

Ranger2

Thats Ok, R-2...On a night boat movement I paddled past a Pontoon boat
that sold Donuts, Cigarettes, and Coffee run by an ugly fat chick with a Cigarette hanging out of her mouth... I ordered coffee, donuts, a Pack of Marlboro and told her "give my frineds here what they want".
RI slapped me in the back of the head and told me to wake the fuck up.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

Abell9 wrote:
Ranger2 wrote:[

Ranger2

Thats Ok, R-2...On a night boat movement I paddled past a Pontoon boat
that sold Donuts, Cigarettes, and Coffee run by an ugly fat chick with a Cigarette hanging out of her mouth... I ordered coffee, donuts, a Pack of Marlboro and told her "give my frineds here what they want".
RI slapped me in the back of the head and told me to wake the fuck up.
Shit that is funny. It seemed so real too. I once ate some M&M's I found on the trail. They were good but I bet they weren't M&M's

I don't know how many times I fell asleep standing up and woke up to find everyone gone. What a panicked feeling that is.

Ranger2
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

I sure as fuck didn't learn shit from any officers :shock:
The best officers I met in RS were the ones that I didn't even know were officers until the course was damn near over.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

Kilted Heathen wrote:I sure as fuck didn't learn shit from any officers :shock:
The best officers I met in RS were the ones that I didn't even know were officers until the course was damn near over.
You could always tell the West Pointers.

Ranger2
Bell

Post by Bell »

Another reason Ranger PFC's tabbed out was the ass whipping waiting on em when they got back to the Company if they failed. There is no such thing as fail. Period. Not when you're in Battalion. At least in the early 80's.

RLTW
Bell
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Bell wrote:Another reason Ranger PFC's tabbed out was the ass whipping waiting on em when they got back to the Company if they failed. There is no such thing as fail. Period. Not when you're in Battalion. At least in the early 80's.

RLTW
Bell
NO, there were a few who didnt. Course, you just didnt see them after that. They would stop off in the Orderly room and they had orders for the 24th when they walked out.
RS Class # 7-76

BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Ranger2 wrote: I don't know how many times I fell asleep standing up and woke up to find everyone gone. What a panicked feeling that is.

Ranger2
Yeah, that sucked.

Or catching yourself falling asleep while in a security halt, and telling yourself to stay awake, and next thing you know you wake BACK up and there is an RI laying next to you...."Watcha doing Ranger?" :lol:
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

BadMuther wrote:
Ranger2 wrote: I don't know how many times I fell asleep standing up and woke up to find everyone gone. What a panicked feeling that is.

Ranger2
Yeah, that sucked.

Or catching yourself falling asleep while in a security halt, and telling yourself to stay awake, and next thing you know you wake BACK up and there is an RI laying next to you...."Watcha doing Ranger?" :lol:
LOL, no shit that is exactly what happened to me with the exception of the RI catchin me.

We're at a security halt I take a knee and it seems like a couple of seconds (my mind told me I was wide awake ready to get back up and move out...........next thing I know Ranger Guzman my Ranger Buddy yells at a whisper....BEADLE WAKE THE FUCK UP!!!, I tell'em fuck you I "AM" awake, Guzman...... then why in the FUCK WERE YOU SNORIN FUCKER!?! :lol:
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Remember laying your chin on the top of the 60 in the prone?That motherfucker felt like a waterbed!
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”