What's All This Talk Of Rifles?

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

What's All This Talk Of Rifles?

Post by hobbit »

If you can't hit your enemy in the head with a split-finger knuckler, you're too damn far away.

L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Yes. "Mini-frags" they called them. They started showing up in Vietnam early in 1971. I never carried any in the bush when I was with the Ranger Company, but during my second tour, when I worked in Psyops, I carried a box of them on the chopper we used for propaganda broadcasts. We flew out over the A Shau, into Laos, and up over the Khe Sahn and Ho Chi Mihn Trail every day making propaganda broadcasts while tossing Chu Hoi leaflets. When we took ground fire, I'd toss about a dozen of those little kiddy frags in the general direction of the muzzle flash.

BTW everyone, that's Billy Nix in the picture, a fellow Ranger and now Southeastern Director for Disabled American Veterans (regional office in Atlanta). He's a good man to talk too if you have VA entitlement concerns.
Last edited by hobbit on December 9th, 2004, 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

We had two 1000 watt speakers on that chopper. Sometimes when we got bored, we'd play Led Zeppelin instead of propaganda broadcasts.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I love Frags! Although a quickly fired burst to the chest is fun too.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Yep. Frags were really THE weapon of choice for Rangers in Vietnam.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

hobbit wrote:We had two 1000 watt speakers on that chopper. Sometimes when we got bored, we'd play Led Zeppelin instead of propaganda broadcasts.
Which songs? "You're Time is Gonna Come?" :twisted:
RSD 96-99
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Which songs? "You're Time is Gonna Come?"

Actually, if we really wanted to irritate the NVA, we'd hire whores in Phu Bai to make cassette tapes, moaning and crooning and reminding the dinks that it had probably been 7 years since any of them had gotten laid.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

Return to “Weapons of War”