? On Running

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
25qnewb
Embryo

? On Running

Post by 25qnewb »

I'm an OK runner. Not great or anything but okay. Now I've read through some posts where it's suggested to do pushups or pullups or something like that every hour. So I was wondering, would that also apply to running? Example: Running 1 mile every hour. Work would get in the way but I could do this 7 or 8 hours a day. That would boost me to 42 miles a week. Then as I got better start adding more distance or try taking off some time. So would this work or am I just an idiot. Or will it work and I'm still just an idiot. :?
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

Your an idiot. Go to the Runners World website if you want some workouts or just ask any of the other wannabees who have been working out. If you have never run before you are facing an uphill battle.

Ranger2
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Just run your 7 or 8 miles all at once. Don't space it out. And do it Mon. through Sat, with Sun being a rest day. However, if you have never ran before, you might want to start with a shorter distance and just work on completeing the run, then as you start to get into better shape, work on increasing the distance and getting faster mile times.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
25qnewb
Embryo

Post by 25qnewb »

I've run before. I run 3 miles every morning. Sometimes I push it to 4 or 5. I was just thinking of adding those on top of all that. Just to increase miliage. I'm just trying to think of new workouts and different ways of getting better. Thanks for the advice.
Runner
Ranger

Post by Runner »

Ball Peen Hammer wrote:Just run your 7 or 8 miles all at once. Don't space it out. And do it Mon. through Sat, with Sun being a rest day. However, if you have never ran before, you might want to start with a shorter distance and just work on completeing the run, then as you start to get into better shape, work on increasing the distance and getting faster mile times.
I dunno if this is what you meant but it looks like you said run 7-8 miles every day for 6 days? That'll get your mileage in but running just for distance all of the time is better for sustainment than for getting better. Mix it up, throw in some interval training (do a search if you dont know), maybe some fartleks. Those should increase your speed not to mention keep it from getting boring.
A co 3/75 '07-'10
25qnewb
Embryo

Thanks

Post by 25qnewb »

From all the information i've gathered I think I'm going to mix up interval and distance every other day. So like m-w-f distance and t-th-s interval. That should improve my speed. I'm trying to build up to 10 miles. Fathest I can run before just falling over is a little over 8.
Runner
Ranger

Post by Runner »

Eh, Im not sure about that either. I think Intervals are only supposed to be once a week, cuz it's hard ass work if you do em 100 percent and you need to recover more than just a day. Do what Ranger Ranger2 said, read up on it at Runnersworl.com
A co 3/75 '07-'10
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Good call Malarkey. Try doing running hills and such, and try and go to a track and work on some sprinting. Run a couple 400's and try to mix it up a bit.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
25qnewb
Embryo

Post by 25qnewb »

Thanks for all the advice. I've been reading up on some running forums and I think I've got a good workout put together. My biggest goal is 10 miles without a heart attack.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

25qnewb wrote:Thanks for all the advice. I've been reading up on some running forums and I think I've got a good workout put together. My biggest goal is 10 miles without a heart attack.

In that case be sure to visit your medical doctor before you run for a complete checkup. When he gives you the green light, then you can start running. 8)
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Runner
Ranger

Post by Runner »

25qnewb wrote:Thanks for all the advice. I've been reading up on some running forums and I think I've got a good workout put together. My biggest goal is 10 miles without a heart attack.
Thats a good goal. Just put in the work and slowly but surely you'll get there.
A co 3/75 '07-'10
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Here's the deal.Seven minutes per mile plus or minus 15 seconds per mile.Make sure you can do that over 5-6 miles and you can run,in formation,anywhere in the fuckin' Army. 8) RLTW!
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

Sandy Trainer wrote:Here's the deal.Seven minutes per mile plus or minus 15 seconds per mile.Make sure you can do that over 5-6 miles and you can run,in formation,anywhere in the fuckin' Army. 8) RLTW!

You must not have been in my squad :wink:
RSD 96-99
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

We'll just let squad pt be a nice little surprise Ranger Vee. :D
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Justin480

Post by Justin480 »

I was talking to a Green Beret about PT and he mentioned that when I run I should switch it up; not only run but also do stairs too.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”