Flat feet ok?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: Flat feet ok?

Post by centermass »

Flat feet (also called pes planus or fallen arches) is a postural deformity in which the arches of the foot collapse, with the entire sole of the foot coming into complete or near-complete contact with the ground.

Chapter 2
Physical Standards for Enlistment, Appointment, and Induction

2–10. Lower extremities
a. Limitation of motion. Current joint ranges of motion less than the measurements listed in paragraphs below do not
meet the standard.
(1) Hip (due to disease (726.5), or injury (905.2)):
(a) Flexion to 90 degrees.
(b) No demonstrable flexion contracture.
(c) Extension to 10 degrees (beyond 0 degrees).
(d) Abduction to 45 degrees.
(e) Rotation of 60 degrees (internal and external combined).
(2) Knee (due to disease (726.6), or injury (905.4)):
(a) Full extension to 0 degrees.
(b) Flexion to 110 degrees.
(3) Ankle (due to disease (726.7), or injury (905.4) or congenital defect):
(a) Dorsiflexion to 10 degrees.
(b) Planter flexion to 30 degrees.
(4) Subtalar eversion and inversion totaling 5 degrees (due to disease (726.7) or injury (905.4) or congenital defect).
b. Foot and ankle.
(1) Current absence of a foot or any portion thereof (896) does not meet the standard.
(2) Current or history of deformities of the toes (acquired (735) or congenital (755.66)) including, but not limited to
conditions such as hallux valgus (735.0), hallux varus (735.1), hallux rigidicus (735.2), hammer toe(s) (735.4), claw toe(s)
(735.5), overriding toe(s) (735.8), that prevents the proper wearing of military footwear or impairs walking, marching,
running, or jumping, do not meet the standard.
(3) Current or history of clubfoot (754.70) or pes cavus (754.71) that prevents the proper wearing of military footwear
or impairs walking, marching, running, or jumping does not meet the standard.
(4) Current symptomatic pes planus (acquired (734) or congenital (754.6)) or history of pes planus corrected by prescription or custom orthotics does not meet the standard.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

what matters is what you reveal for medical history and what they see at your initial physical. they won't conduct the physical while you're wearing a ruck. if you get injured in service, and they then discover you had a pre-existing disqualifying condition that you failed to reveal... that could be problematic for you. I have no idea how problematic.

I can tell you this... having flat feet sucks on long walks if you don't regularly train long walks. like do at least a 8-10 miler with weight weekly. without continuous walks, about mile 10, them dogs hurt. won't kill ya or stop ya, but they hurt more than they need to. maintaining the strength to carry the load over the distance is the key. go to a school for a few to 6 weeks then go for a walk when you're back? it's gunna hurt more than it should until you get your feet back into the shape they need to be in. and the only way I know to get good at rucking is to ruck. start slow, light, and short, and build up. once you're there, maintain. you never need to walk more than 10 miles for training.

and yes, the Army has gotten smarter about how they train and equip, especially during initial entry.

I also got fitted for and issued orthotics while I was in and they never asked how long it'd been an issue, just a reaction to me seeking med support for an injury. about 17 years into service.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I believe it’s a matter of how you answer screening questions that prompts further inquiry, in addition to a physical exam administered at MEPS.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

Return to “Recruitment Process”