Parade tells Vietnam Vets to not have POW cage anymore

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Mike11C11B
Ranger

Parade tells Vietnam Vets to not have POW cage anymore

Post by Mike11C11B »

I heard about this on the radio this morning right across the river from me in Council Bluffs, Iowa. Parade officials have changed their minds 3 times on what the reason is. The mayor is taking the PC route, no opinion. The Vets have been allowed to display the cage in the past, and the parade was on Armed Forces Day.

Yahoo
https://news.yahoo.com/blogs/odd-news/o ... 10925.html

Website for Vietnam Veterans of America Post 798, Council Bluffs, Iowa
http://vva798.org/
1/75 Mortars 1999-2002
3/75 B Co, 1st Plt 2004-2005
3/75 Snipers 2005-2007
OEF/OIF
Class 7-00
Mike11C11B
Ranger

Re: Parade tells Vietnam Vets to not have POW cage anymore

Post by Mike11C11B »

Veteran's groups, Police Dept., and Fire Dept. backed out of the parade to show support for the Vets not being allowed the tiger cage float even when it had been allowed in the past.

Omaha World Herald
http://m.omaha.com/article/20140517/NEW ... =mobileart
1/75 Mortars 1999-2002
3/75 B Co, 1st Plt 2004-2005
3/75 Snipers 2005-2007
OEF/OIF
Class 7-00
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

"Celebrate Council Bluffs Board President Karen Purdue claims the request was made because of complaints from concerned residents. She wrote to the group, in an email:

“The complaints pushed our decision to ask for a modification. We do want you and the organization to be in the parade as those who fought for our freedom.”

In a statement emphasizing the request was not made because of any political views, Ms. Purdue wrote:

“Celebrate CB! has always remained 100% neutral on all issues related to race, religion, social, and political topics.”

Political correctness does not care about truth. Especially historical truth's that may cause a citizen to gasp in horror at the audacity to show how our Warriors were/are treated and tortured. That truth does not mesh with all of their new "Support the Troops, Just not the War" style of covering up their cowardice and disdain for anything un-hippie-like.

Instead of manning up as parents and Americans so that their children can better understand, ask questions about it and grow up to respect service members and what they have been so brutally asked to sacrifice for the country and for each of those children just so that they can be free to choose.

Without these sometimes hard to explain but necessary lessons for children, they'll grow up just like their parents did, thinking that soldiers are just war-mongering, hairy knuckled cavemen that have no place in society if they are so bold as to speak the truth, no matter how awful, without painting it in rainbow colors first to protect the more delicate among us.

More pussies than we know what to do with. God help us.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Would you guys object if there was a waterboarding float?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Scratch that...A waterboarding float would be hilarious.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

vossman wrote:Worthless sacks of shit. There's a reason we call it Counciltucky. I hope the whole parade gets boycotted.
The real question is, how long are we the people going to stand getting trampled on?
This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

I don't know, maybe a parade entirely made up of depictions of the nastier side of war. Which basically means all of it.

Might cut down on the jingoistic BS that has been crammed down our throats for the past 13 odd years, leading to the sweeping acceptance of near Nazi-like zealotry on the part of our government (ver are zee papers citizen?).

I cringe when I hear "thank you for your service", and the support the troops movement has reached levels that I can only describe as self medication.

Yes as a nation we went very dark in the 60s/70s but the direction we are facing now is even more frightening.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

RangerX wrote:I cringe when I hear "thank you for your service", and the support the troops movement has reached levels that I can only describe as self medication.
I agree that the dark side of war requires more attention. As far as the "thank you for your service" movement. If it is not coming from another Veteran all I hear is "Blah Blah Blah". I have never sought thanks for my service and as long as pension continues to arrive on time I never will.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Silverback wrote: I agree that the dark side of war requires more attention. As far as the "thank you for your service" movement. If it is not coming from another Veteran all I hear is "Blah Blah Blah". I have never sought thanks for my service and as long as pension continues to arrive on time I never will.
Concure.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Silverback wrote:
RangerX wrote:I cringe when I hear "thank you for your service", and the support the troops movement has reached levels that I can only describe as self medication.
I agree that the dark side of war requires more attention. As far as the "thank you for your service" movement. If it is not coming from another Veteran all I hear is "Blah Blah Blah". I have never sought thanks for my service and as long as pension continues to arrive on time I never will.
X3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”