Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Johnny
Egg

Introduction

Post by Johnny »

I just want to start off by thanking all current rangers and soldiers for defending our wonderful country!
I will be 30 this month and have always wanted to be a Ranger. I would have gone into the army straight out of high school, but I got a full scholarship to run track in college so I chose that route. After college, I began working at a big city Sheriff's Department and I have been a police officer ever since. I have always been a PT machine and love anything challenging. In high school I was a much better wrestler than runner, but turned down scholarship offers for wrestling to pursue track. I think I knew it would be more of a challenge, so I chose that route. I love being a police officer, but with 30 right around the corner, it is now or never for the Rangers. I am not sure if my job would be waiting for me when I got back, so I can only pursue this dream if the Sheriff agrees. I am not sure if I can even just commit for 2 years and be able to become a Ranger, but I am going to try. I cannot run nearly as fast as I used to but can still squeeze out a 12:00 two mile. I recently tried my pushups and situps for 2:00 and got around 100 for each. I hope to improve to 120 before trying to enlist. My running has slowed down mainly because I focus more on weight lifting now. I recently competed at the Police and Fire Games and Bench Pressed 340 lbs while competing in the 181 lb weight class. If I get the go ahead from the sheriff, and If I can swing it financially, nothing will stop me from being a Ranger! I currently make around 80k a year and have a $1,450 house payment. I am hoping I can get a big enough signing bonus to pay the mortgage up front for two years. I guess I am on here to get some advise from other rangers. Will I even get my shot to be a ranger if I only commit to two years? Will they be able to give me $40,000 signing bonus to pay my mortgage while I am gone. I am married, so I still need to support her. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is somewhat unorganized. I tried to sum up my life and all of my questions about my dream of being a Ranger in 200 words or less!!
Thanks.
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by Earthpig »

Welcome to the site, Johnny, and thanks for all you're doing in the LE world.

I enlisted at age 30 and left a big city SO job, too. Had 8 yrs under my belt when I left. Kind of a deja vu, reading your intro.

As far as your questions, I'm going to let a newer model Ranger answer those. I've been out for 20 years, and things have changed. There was no bonus when I enlisted, and I believe the shortest enlistment at that time for Rangers was 4 years.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Your current efforts in controlling the crime in our country is certainly appreciated.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome and thank you for your LEO service and possible Army service.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Johnny
Egg

Post by Johnny »

Earthpig,
It is great to know that I am not the only one that has chosen this path at the old age of thirty!! How did your Sheriff take the news when you told him you were leaving? Did you continue in Law Enforcement post-military? I am hoping that everything goes smoothly and I can chase my dream and come back to my job a better and more skilled officer. Congrats on chasing and achieving your dream!

More exact PT stats: (Current)
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 185
Pushups: 102
Situps: 95
2 mile: 12:19
Chin Ups: 22
5 mile run: (Flat) 36:30
Max Bench Press: 340 lbs
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Johnny wrote:Earthpig,
It is great to know that I am not the only one that has chosen this path at the old age of thirty!! How did your Sheriff take the news when you told him you were leaving? Did you continue in Law Enforcement post-military? I am hoping that everything goes smoothly and I can chase my dream and come back to my job a better and more skilled officer. Congrats on chasing and achieving your dream!

More exact PT stats: (Current)
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 185
Pushups: 102
Situps: 95
2 mile: 12:19
Chin Ups: 22
5 mile run: (Flat) 36:30
Max Bench Press: 340 lbs
He wasn't too excited about it. He actually thought I was a bit crazy. However, I had no intention of returning to my job with the SO. My plans were to make the military my career. Unfortunately, gravity stepped in and ended that part of the dream. After I healed up, I went back into LE for another 4 yrs, but instead of in Houston, it was on an Indian Rez in Washington State. My back injury kept me from being able to go back with any big agencies. Their insurance wouldn't cover me with that injury shown on my DD-214.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

A $40,000 enistment bonus is not likely
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Johnny
Egg

Post by Johnny »

If I enlist for 2 years and I am successful through Basic, AIT, Airborne, and RASP, what are the odds that I will have the chance to go through Ranger school? I realize that trying to cram all of these schools into 2 years will really be pushing it, but is it possible?

If $40,000 is not likely for an enlistment bonus, what is likely? I have a college degree and 7 years as a police officer.

I did a back and shoulder workout yesterday, and before the workout I did the following:
102 situps in 2 minutes
5 min rest
75 Pushups in 1 minute
2 min rest
41 pushups in :30
5 min rest
16 chin ups
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Recruiting policies continually evolve and chances are only an Active Duty recruiter can answer your questions and even then, different recruiters may say different things. The thing is though, if being a Ranger is what you really want, put getting that contract above the two-year thing and any bonuses. Let us know how things go as you begin the recruitment process and be sure to read and heed the ROE PM I have sent you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “Introduction Archive”