Volunteering for Deployment?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

fender
US Army

Volunteering for Deployment?

Post by fender »

Just wondering if anybody here has ever volunteered for deployment? (Waiving dwell-time)

Some of my immediate supervisors seem to think it would be hard to change units and deploy shortly after returning.

I understand that all my MEDPROs and all the great stuff will be expired upon returning and need to be reupdated, but aside from all the "check the block" procedures, what else would hold me up?

I would think units would be leaping at opportunities to gain soldiers motivated about deploying, but that's my baseless opinion.

Tips/Concerns/Feedback!

Rangers, thank you.
fatboy
Ranger

Re: Volunteering for Deployment?

Post by fatboy »

Volunteering for back to back trips with different units is do-able, but be aware that some units will not let you waive your dwell time. Especially if they know you just got back. Now if it's 10 months into dwell, that would be different.

Just some things to consider
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
fender
US Army

Post by fender »

I would gladly deploy again for a chance to change units.
Too expensive to go to any army schools while in Hawaii. :(

While I'm at it, I pose a question to you Rangers.

What are some things I can do to "jump start" my army career?
(this is an alternate to the "how can I become Ranger/SF/Delta/James Bond question that I see people getting pummeled for in a few different locked threads)

I'm not talking about rank really, I have knocked out enough points here, and have a pretty cool unit that is willing to send me to the board at the soonest available opportunity.

I want to know the best way to go places by organization, are there certain units I should try to transfer to?
(all joking aside, are there some units I should avoid too?)

Where will I receive the most training opportunities?

I apologize if I'm a little question happy,
but you can't necessarily go out and get good opinions from qualified personnel just anywhere.
(flashback to the 10 year E-5 in the orderly room talking about the 3 days he spent at SFAS)

Thanks again Rangers!
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Assuming by your assignment that you have an aviation related MOS, look into the 160th SOAR. Jump school for sure comes with it, Ranger school unlikely but less unlikely than elsewhere. Also, since you'd be at Ft Campbell at some point, air assault becomes easy to get. Badgefinder, er..Pathfinder also becomes possible.
For you wingy guys, the SOAR is the place. Plus, they get to play with all the cool guys. :D
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
fender
US Army

Post by fender »

Thanks Ranger Ingraham,

but unfortunately I do not have an aviation MOS, I am an intel analyst.
(I realize they still need analysts at the SOAR, but significantly less)

However, I would love to be at Campbell just for the greater chance of attending air assault.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Intel analyst? Well hell, you do your job right and you will be responsible for the expunging from our atmosphere more jihadist savages than entire companies of Ranger riflemen.
All SOF organizations have slots for good analysts. Pick one, submit the 4187 and go!

I recommend our very own 75th Ranger Regiment, you might've heard of it :D Unlike other units in USASOC, the RR selects and trains its support staff so that it knows that they measure up when the chips are down. Want to get out of the cubicle from time to time & do cool stuff and suck up some ruck marches?
Pass RASP and do well in the Regiment and doors might open for other more 'interesting' ventures.
Start striving for max PT scores, toughen your feet and submit that 4187 before you're levied into the next unit to deploy.
https://www.benning.army.mil/75thranger.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"out".
Last edited by K.Ingraham on January 17th, 2010, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RS 9-76

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
fender
US Army

Post by fender »

Thanks for the advice Ranger,
but is it really as simple as just submitting a 4187 and looking good on paper through PT/Awards? (not implying that is easy)
Is there any way I can follow through to insure I receive my desired assignment? Or do I just wait for papers to be pushed?

If it is this respectively simple, my day has been brightened.

And about the whole expunging savages thing...
well lets just say we've been watching a lot of Kill TV lately. :)
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

It's that simple to get there. Getting in is another matter altogether. Now you're the analyst. Analyze.

RS 9-76

fender
US Army

Post by fender »

Today I was told by a Career Counselor/Retention NCO that in order to get a shot at RASP/RIP I "HAVE" to reenlist under option 5. From what I've been told upto this point you just need to submit the 4187 and make sure all the paperwork is lined up.

Is this NCO trying to pull a quick one on me by having me reenlist? or does it really require the additional commitment to get a "shot" at going to Ranger Regiment.

I am very commited to the U.S. Army, so please do not think any less of me by trying to avoid reenlistment at this point in my career (1st unit cherry). I just need to make sure I am confident in my decisions before I make them.

I do not want to make this personal (so please do not identify this individual), but this was a recruiter from the 75th Ranger Regiment so obviously it would impede my chances of joining the elite if he thought I was not devoted.

Thanks again Rangers!

(I respect everybody as a soldier, but am a little weary of recruiter's intentions ever since my initial recruiter told me intel personnel can not go airborne.)
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

fender wrote:Today I was told by a Career Counselor/Retention NCO that in order to get a shot at RASP/RIP I "HAVE" to reenlist under option 5. From what I've been told upto this point you just need to submit the 4187 and make sure all the paperwork is lined up.

Is this NCO trying to pull a quick one on me by having me reenlist? or does it really require the additional commitment to get a "shot" at going to Ranger Regiment.

I am very commited to the U.S. Army, so please do not think any less of me by trying to avoid reenlistment at this point in my career (1st unit cherry). I just need to make sure I am confident in my decisions before I make them.

I do not want to make this personal (so please do not identify this individual), but this was a recruiter from the 75th Ranger Regiment so obviously it would impede my chances of joining the elite if he thought I was not devoted.

Thanks again Rangers!

(I respect everybody as a soldier, but am a little weary of recruiter's intentions ever since my initial recruiter told me intel personnel can not go airborne.)
You are on my nerve
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
fender
US Army

Post by fender »

Why is that Ranger?

Return to “The Mosh Pit”