blisters

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
RedHawk
Embryo

blisters

Post by RedHawk »

Everyone gets these when marching it seems. People talk about marching to make your feet tough but how many people can walk barefoot for 3 miles on a rocky dirt road. Granted not carrying 70lb ruck is a huge difference but still. My feet are pretty tough but can still use more toughening.

Rick
"Everyone make a major change in their life. It's up to that person wether it is for the better or worse."
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

The few times I've hiked with a ruck and combat boots the bottom of my feet were ok, it was my heals that really got hit hard.

~Joseph
deleon275
Ranger

Re: blisters

Post by deleon275 »

RedHawk wrote:Everyone gets these when marching it seems. People talk about marching to make your feet tough but how many people can walk barefoot for 3 miles on a rocky dirt road. Granted not carrying 70lb ruck is a huge difference but still. My feet are pretty tough but can still use more toughening.

Rick
But still what? Have you carried a 70lb ruck for 20+ miles yet? Walking on a rocky dirt road doesn't compare to walking in jungle boots with that amount of weight on you. Your feet will get tough after they've bled a few times and you've lost a handful of toenails.
"When you look at this final agreement that we came to with the White House, I got 98 percent of what I wanted. I’m pretty happy." John Boehner

''If we took away the minimum wage — if conceivably it was gone — we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level.''
RedHawk
Embryo

Post by RedHawk »

My but still was meant to mean that my feet where tougher than the average civilian. I know its nothing compared to those long marches and what all you Rangers go through. I am sorry for not making myself clearer and didn not mean any disrespect.

Rick
"Everyone make a major change in their life. It's up to that person wether it is for the better or worse."
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

***Moved to appropriate Forum***
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

I think it was in summer of 93 and we were going to England. I had been a Ranger for 1 1/2 years and had been through Ranger school and SERE. We were in Benning for something preping for deployment and we did a 18 mile Road march in 100 degree weather. My feet was destroyed. Basically the whole bottom of my feet were blistered and bleeding. The medicals just did what they could and the PSG said if I couldn't walk on them I wouldn't be going to England. I said fuck that and just drained the blisters and drove on. My one heel still hurts from time to time from that but I got to go on the best deployment ever to England.

The moral is that no matter how tough your feet are you can still get blisters. These blisters were below my toughed skin so basically the whole bottom of my feet came off. It sucked.

Ranger2
ChipOnShoulder

Blisters

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Blisters never go away on some people. With me, I would get them underneith calouses!! When you tried to drain them they would turn into blood blisters. The only way to truly get rid of blisters is to roadmarch all the time. Do not resole your boots with high speed soles!!! jungle boots and desert boots don't last that long with hard use - Do you think that you will get replacements in the field with high speed comfort soles? Don't think so. Break your standard issue feet in with standard issue boots and both will be happy for the life of either you or your boots.

Lots of TLC

Doc Cook

Return to “Medical Issues”