Old Rangers vesus New Rangers

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Old Rangers vesus New Rangers

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

I spoke with with one of my favorite buds today on this topic. Not specifically a "who was better" type thing. Just a comparitive of times. He, he is a younger generation warrior who treats his Ranger elders as honored in his eyes. Most do. But, speaking with some of the elders (being one my damned self) I and they came to a conclusion that we seldom share. You younger men impress the hell out of us. No shit. Slowpoke, LRP 1, Jim, Steadfast....all of us at times have discussed how incredibly impressed we have been with the young Rangers we meet. Different times call for different measures in warfare. I can honestly say that while each of us did fine at what we did, you young men have excelled beyond boundaries. I know how impressed I have been in meeting you, talking with you, sharing time with you.

I only say this because many times we get wrapped around an era that is now gone. Not gone like dead, but an era of tactics, technology, and mindset that needed freshening. And, it needed to pass into the new. The younger men, they brought this forward with HUGE success. The younger men have seen combat so many times and did it with honor and lethality. And, these are bright kids, brave kids, kids who know their shit and then some. They use stuff I dreamed of but never saw. Use techniques that make me wide eyed. And they have a blatant candor we all admire. These newer Rangers are the shit. You make us proud, you honor us with your service and committment. You newer Rangers AMAZE us.

Just thought you should know.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Re: Old Rangers vesus New Rangers

Post by Lefty »

A simple "X2" doesn't get it here.

I couldn't agree more with what the pastor said. From the first time I met today's Rangers in 2000 through the present, I have been in complete awe of the young men who are today's Rangers. They are simply the finest young men this country has. Period. Okay, okay, there are the other studs, too, SEALs and all, who are, all inter-service rivalry aside, cut from the same cloth.
Despite this country's (and the news media's, and the bleeding heart liberal's, etc. etc.) best efforts, we still can produce the dedicated hard charging young stalwarts who don't know the word "quit". Where do we come up with such men as these? I for one am deeply grateful that we still have these outstanding troops. It is one reason I have tried to mentor the two aspirants I came across. The first never made it out of Basic/AIT, the second just shipped.
And while I'm getting maudlin, I want to interject - the great majority of this country's spoiled masses have no clue how thin the veneer of protection of this country is. What a small percentage of our population puts their lives on the line to keep us safe from the teeming hordes who want to cut our throats simply because we are who we are.

As I have practiced at previous reunions, so will I continue this August to ensure that no current active duty Ranger who attends pays for any drink or meal at the reunion.

Although we are far removed from the mainstream, HH6 and I have, and will always, keep our home open to all Rangers.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

That was probably the biggest thing that hit me square between the eyes when I attended the '07 Rendezvous. Every one of those young studs who I was lucky enough to meet was rock solid. I couldn't get over how they have evolved since our time. Sure, we did some cool shit, and it was hard.....but these guys have surpassed any standards we might've had. The lesson I walked away with when I left Rendezvous was: Anybody who fucks with the USA is a complete idiot. They will get their ass handed to them by the US Army Rangers.

Great post, Andy!

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Great post Andy, and it isn't possible for me to agree more! Todays Rangers are fuckin' unbelievable!!!!!

I had started to worry about if we can keep coming up with young studs like todays Rangers...and then I met your son! Wheather he becomes a Ranger someday or not, he's a fine example of the next generation that will pick up the staff and continue to set new standards.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

I agree X2!

Sure wish I was born 30 years later so I could go play the "Boys".
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

And you accuse me of being soft?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Good post Pastor! As others have said, I too look forward to meeting more "Young Guns" at RR 09 as we did at 07. It's coming soon!!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Bunch of soft, sentimental, broke down old men blabbering about how good today's studs are... and I couldn't agree more.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Ranger Bill wrote:Bunch of soft, sentimental, broke down old men blabbering about how good today's studs are... and I couldn't agree more.
HEY! I resemble that remark!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

RangerRon wrote:
Ranger Bill wrote:Bunch of soft, sentimental, broke down old men blabbering about how good today's studs are... and I couldn't agree more.
HEY! I resemble that remark!
Me too!
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Slowpoke wrote:Great post Andy, and it isn't possible for me to agree more! Todays Rangers are fuckin' unbelievable!!!!!

I had started to worry about if we can keep coming up with young studs like todays Rangers...and then I met your son! Wheather he becomes a Ranger someday or not, he's a fine example of the next generation that will pick up the staff and continue to set new standards.
Thank you, Poke...pretty much the highest compliment I can get is that right there.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Agree with everything everyone has said. Today's Rangers are truly the best trained and equipped Rangers we've ever had. God, I wish I were 45 years younger so I could join them and do it all again.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Jim wrote:Agree with everything everyone has said. Today's Rangers are truly the best trained and equipped Rangers we've ever had. God, I wish I were 45 years younger so I could join them and do it all again.
Such truth. Wait......Id be 8 years old! :shock:
RS Class # 7-76

Return to “The Mosh Pit”