Rangers at BUD/S training?

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Roasting
Soldier

Rangers at BUD/S training?

Post by Roasting »

I just finished reading Richard Marcinko's book "Rogue Warrior." This is the guy who enlisted in the Navy and ended up being the CO of Seal Team TWO and creating Team SIX. Marcinko also was head of the Red Cell program that tested the Navy's security abilities.

Early in the book when describing his UDT experience he says this:
One-hundred and twenty-one of us started it together as members of UDT class 26. Twenty-four survived - 20 percent. Many of those who washed out were so-called SpecWar experts: Green Berets and Army Rangers who wanted to get some maritime training.
My question is do Rangers still go to BUD/S (what UDT training became)? Is this something that a Ranger would do already having gone through Ranger School? What lessons learned in BUD/S would carry over into life at Regiment?
penetra le tenebre
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

All I know is Marcinko is a self admitted bull shit artist. The above quote may just be there to fill the pages of his book, but I have never, ever heard of anyone except for Navy personnel attending BUD/S. SEALS do attend Ranger School and they go to Army Airborne School to get jump qualified. Remember that BUD/S is weeding out clerks, machinist, and other Navy pogues to make Specop guys out of them.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

There is a lot of really entertaining military fiction out there, isn't there? Perhaps I should call it infotainment?
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

swimmerkid187 wrote: Some Rangers who serve in the 75th Reg. attend Special Forces Underwater Operations School, which is has a close smilarity to the Second Phase or Dive Phase at BUD/S.
That school is called CDQC (Combat Dive Qualification Course) also known as scuba school.
swimmerkid187 wrote: The Rangers and servicemen of other branches (Marine Force Recon, Airforce Special Operations personel), who attend this specialty school usually are part of the 75th Reg. Special teams and elements., a.ka. Scout swimmers.
The only other service members that are part of the Regiment are Air Force guys. There aren't anymore water teams in the Regiment anymore. Scout Swimmer is different than scuba.

I have never heard of any Rangers attending BUDS. Most of us hate SEALS it would acutally be a step down for us. It is like a Ranger going to Special Forces.
Last edited by Parabellum on July 8th, 2004, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
rgrjoe175
Tadpole

Post by rgrjoe175 »

I know one Ranger that did it... he etsd then became a O in the navy and went to Buds.. he is now a SWAT member in Miami.. I was in the middle of the Marine Corp Scout Swimmer school when thank God I got pulled out for a mission...those bastards were trying to drown me..LOL btw at that time they brought the instructors down to HAAF to instruct us..

Best thing was it turned out the mission was just training...lol

:)
1/75 80-83
Class 6-81
Roasting
Soldier

Post by Roasting »

Thanks for the info, Rangers.
Spartan wrote:There is a lot of really entertaining military fiction out there, isn't there?
There were a few times when I had my doubts about content in Marcinko's book, Ranger Spartan. Especially when he says every guy on his Team SIX could bench press 500+ lbs.

Like you said, however, it was entertaining.
penetra le tenebre
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

rossi46 wrote:Especially when he says every guy on his Team SIX could bench press 500+ lbs.

Did cha hear that him and SkyRaider were very close buddies too, lol (that's why he has that funny ass smirk on his face)
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

rossi46 wrote:Thanks for the info, Rangers.
Spartan wrote:There is a lot of really entertaining military fiction out there, isn't there?
There were a few times when I had my doubts about content in Marcinko's book, Ranger Spartan. Especially when he says every guy on his Team SIX could bench press 500+ lbs.

Ask Ranger RRDTM3 what he can press. :twisted:
RSD 96-99
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

All the Rangers at Ft.Lewis were BDU/S grad's as all it did was Rain!!

I currently train with Bud's nearly everday!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
rgrjoe175
Tadpole

Post by rgrjoe175 »

Terry Welshan wrote:
rgrjoe175 wrote:I know one Ranger that did it... he etsd then became a O in the navy and went to Buds.. he is now a SWAT member in Miami.. I was in the middle of the Marine Corp Scout Swimmer school when thank God I got pulled out for a mission...those bastards were trying to drown me..LOL btw at that time they brought the instructors down to HAAF to instruct us..

Best thing was it turned out the mission was just training...lol

:)
Were you all swimming out back of HAAF where the old wood dock was near the picnic pavillion on that tidal flat in that nasty assed water with the huge undertow ?
No actually we were in the swimming pool near the RIP barracks...lol but I did do a helocast into that nasty assed place.. good thing the tide was up.. LOL Damn good thing I had been to AGOS.. reason they pulled me from the school was because I had been to the school so I had to ride in the AC-130 to point...too damn funny...
1/75 80-83
Class 6-81

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”