Info. for me and the wife.

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Just a parent
Tadpole

Info. for me and the wife.

Post by Just a parent »

Hey,
I'm not too sure if it is appropriate for me too post on this site, but I would just like to see if I can get some info. from experienced Rangers to aid my wife and myself with our concerns about one of our sons who is 3rd 75th. He won't tell us much,(which we totally understand). He has been deployed, has received some kind combat commendation, (not sure which one), that he wouldn't tell us much about. He has only been a Ranger for a year, and is currently in Ranger School. He is PVFC and only 20 years old. He has just finished with the second phase of Ranger School and has received a low peer evaluation, but done alright on other performance evaluations. Apparently he is the only private amongst a group of academy graduates and other officers. I have only been able to talk to him briefly, and offer a little advise to keep a good attitude and deal with people respectfully. He is very concerned about his future as a ranger because of this peer evaluation. He is afraid that he will be dropped from Ranger School, and does not know what to expect. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. My wife and myself have many questions. We don't have any friends in the same situation, thus, we have no one to discuss our concerns with. We have always supported our son's decision to fight for his country. He is very focused, and feels that someone must step up to do so.
Thank you,
D.
Proud Father of three; one in the 3/75; one Navy Special Forces; and one a doctor.

Thank You to all that serve, and that have served our country.
Just a parent
Tadpole

Introduction

Post by Just a parent »

My wife and myself have a Ranger son. We have no friends or acquaintances that are in the same situation. Therefore, we really don't have anyone to discuss our concerns with. We have many questions, and really don't have a resource to supply answers. We were hoping to tap into the experience of those on this site. We would be interested in any guidance, advise or knowledge that would be appropriate.
Thank you
D.
Proud Father of three; one in the 3/75; one Navy Special Forces; and one a doctor.

Warriorwife
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Re: Introduction

Post by Warriorwife »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com.
We have alot of Ranger parents here that can answer alot of your questions.
Thanks to your son for his service and to both of you for raising a warrior.
Bravo57
Ranger

Re: Info. for me and the wife.

Post by Bravo57 »

I'll be frank with you. If he is being an ass at Ranger school, he could get "peered out". Most of the Rangers I know, pulled their head out of their ass before this happened (me included). It should not be a show stopper the first time he gets low peers. (Some of the Rangers on this site were Ranger Instructors, so they will have better info on the school)

Just keep sending him positive letters and when he calls, keep up what you have been doing.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

He may get recycled. It happens, I had one Ranger buddy that did six months in Ranger School, but he just wouldn't come home till he got his tab. He needs to stick it out until he's thrown out of the course or graduates.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

***TWO INTROS MERGED BY ADMIN***
Welcome to the site.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Just a parent wrote: He has just finished with the second phase of Ranger School and has received a low peer evaluation, but done alright on other performance evaluations.
If this is the first time he failed peer evals and he has passed his graded patrols that the worst case scenario is that he'll switch squads. The problem with switching squads moving into the last phase of Ranger school is that he will be moving into a team that has already completed 2/3 of Ranger school together and he'll have to work a little harder to gain their trust.
Just a parent wrote: Apparently he is the only private amongst a group of academy graduates and other officers.
This is a "reasonable excuse" during the first phase of Ranger school. I say that because during the first phase it would be normal for the squad to stick with people they "Know" during peers wihtout regard for that persons usefulness as a team member. Ranger students (after Darby) tend to stick with people who can "help" them graduate the course regardless of whether or not they are buddies.
Just a parent wrote:He is very concerned about his future as a ranger because of this peer evaluation. He is afraid that he will be dropped from Ranger School, and does not know what to expect.
See above, I say again if he has only failed one peer evaluation he'll be fine!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Just a parent
Tadpole

Post by Just a parent »

Thank you to all. You have already been a tremendous help. Your experience, expertise and advice is greatly appreciated. Your time and service to our country and the people here on this site is greatly appreciated. I am sure you have the deep respect and gratitude of more than you realize. Please feel free to slap me down if I post something that is not appropriate. Thank you for allowing parents and loved ones of Rangers on this site.
Respectfully,
D.

Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com and thanks for supporting your son in his journey to becoming a Ranger. I am betting he will be fine.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

I salute you and your bride for obviously having raised a patriotic son in whom you are justifiably proud. Continue to have faith in him and continue to help him keep his faith in himself.
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I had the reverse, officer amongst a bunch of batt. boys. I got peered low by two of them in Mtns. We worked our 'issues' out and drove on. Your son will most likely be the same.

Welcome to the site.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
289sotherhalf
Supreme Goddess of Drive On/Moderator

Post by 289sotherhalf »

Welcome to the site.
~Ranger Wife~

"Love your enemies...it pisses them off!"

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."

"Behind every damsel is a fire breathing dragon."
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome...
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

what they said.

welcome and thanks for your appreciation. stick around, I'm sure the other parents can help you with some of the other issues and concerns you raised as well, as he continues to Ranger.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

Return to “Introduction Archive”