Dog Handlers

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Civiguy
Embryo

Dog Handlers

Post by Civiguy »

Rangers,

I was doing some research and I read that the 75th Ranger Regiment has Dog Handlers. First off, I was wondering if this was true or not. Secondly, what would be the pipeline to become a Ranger Dog Handler?

Thank you for your time and Service.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."
RRDTm3
Ranger

Re: Dog Handlers

Post by RRDTm3 »

True
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Tenn-RGR wrote:1. Join the Army (Graduate OSUT/Basic)
2. Graduate Airborne School
3. Graduate RIP
4. Serve successfully in a Ranger Battalion
5. Graduate Ranger School
6. Tell your Chain of Command you want to be a Dog Handler.
7. Voila!! You're a Dog Handler in the 75th.
I don't think he meant team leader...as in line dog...

That being said, fuck ......Batt. has changed...we didn't even get to keep dogs as pets for more than a week or two back in the day?!?
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Tenn-RGR wrote:
Oto-Man wrote:
Tenn-RGR wrote:1. Join the Army (Graduate OSUT/Basic)
2. Graduate Airborne School
3. Graduate RIP
4. Serve successfully in a Ranger Battalion
5. Graduate Ranger School
6. Tell your Chain of Command you want to be a Dog Handler.
7. Voila!! You're a Dog Handler in the 75th.
I don't think he meant team leader...as in line dog...

That being said, fuck ......Batt. has changed...we didn't even get to keep dogs as pets for more than a week or two back in the day?!?
Nor did I mention any TL time. You still need to perform to the best of your ability to even be considered for one of these positions.
Sorry bro...that was a joke about nothing...Dog Teams would have been awesome.

The fact that they have actually been incorporated into RGT is great. The way some parts of the world ( Batt.) change for the better still stuns me.....
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Civiguy
Embryo

Post by Civiguy »

Rangers,

Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate the information!
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Dog handlers are now spread all around the Army. There are two MOSs which deal exclusively with dogs. They are 31B (Military Police) and 21B (Combat Engineer). MP dogs do drug searches, etc. Engineer dogs are mine and explosive dogs. Only those two MOSs do specific dog work. Even in these jobs, dog handler is a special skill, meaning not every MP or Engineer deals with dogs. There's an application process and sometimes, people have to reenlist for it.

The dog handlers that are spread amongst combat units are additional duty guys. Meaning that they are shooters who have been assigned a dog, much like they are assigned to be a radio guy, or a gunner, or an ammo bearer. (oversimplified, but you get the idea)
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Why woulf you ever want to be a dog handler you have to carry all your shit plus the dogs and you have to deal with dog shit too. Just get a pet
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Tenn-RGR wrote:
Baseplate wrote:Why woulf you ever want to be a dog handler you have to carry all your shit plus the dogs and you have to deal with dog shit too. Just get a pet
Because dog handlers get to watch their partner tear haji's ass up, and they NEVER get in trouble for it.
Very good point. It is always fun to watch a dog bite someone. I don't like the show Cops too much but by God I will definately stop when that dog is dominateing a criminal
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister

Return to “Recruitment Process”