Joining Ranger Regiment without being 11B/C

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
acidyen
Embryo

Joining Ranger Regiment without being 11B/C

Post by acidyen »

I have my mind set on joining the Ranger Regiment. I have read a lot the past few months and learned more than I could have ever imagined. If I have read correctly, then I believe I can join the regiment(after passing Ranger school of course) without being an 11B/C. I had originally thought of joining 37F, but read they are not eligible to join the regiment, so have now switched my goal to 97B(Counter-intel Agent, though I have read some places it is not 97B, but instead something else.)

Do the rangers accept other MOS's other than 11B/C, or have I read incorrectly? It is not so much of an issue to me whether I can do another MOS, I would just like to know ahead of time. I plan to stay in until retirement, and when I feel I am ready for it, I will more than likely go for SF.

Thanks in advance to everyone for the help and advice.
PT Assessment I:

45 - Sit-Ups
23 - Push-Ups
14:12 - 2-Mile

Needs work.
scar
Ranger

Re: Joining Ranger Regiment without being 11B/C

Post by scar »

You might need to slow the fuck down and read a little bit more before to come and start asking questions. You haven't even talked to recruiter yet and are talking about serving for 20+ years and moving on to SF at somepoint. Read more post less.
3/75 C 1-1

RS 01-10
acidyen
Embryo

Post by acidyen »

Ranger Scar, thank you for the advise. I just want to have my goal ready for the future so I have something to strive for. The retirement, SF, and all of that are not my main point at this time, my only question I have is joining as a MOS other than 11B/C.

I know I still need to talk to a recruiter and plan on doing so ASAP when I return from vacation. Hopefully they answer a lot of the questions as well as everyone here does because people here have helped my perspective greatly.

*edited for more proper response*
PT Assessment I:

45 - Sit-Ups
23 - Push-Ups

Needs work.
acidyen
Embryo

Post by acidyen »

I feel so ignorant now. I read around some, and a post answered by Ranger Gordo173 answered my question perfectly.

"On one hand is the 75th Ranger Regiment. The Regiment is made up of many MOSes, all of whom are "full fledged" Rangers. The 11 series men in the line platoons get to play with guns more, the intel weenies get to be responsible for killing more bad guys than the shooters are likely to ever see & the medics are the best trained emergency care workers on the planet, and the cooks turn out some really killer omellets every morning, to single out a few. "

Quoted from the post perfectly answered what I had to ask. So sorry for the "didn't search prior", I seemed to have typed in the wrong wording for the search engine.
PT Assessment I:

45 - Sit-Ups
23 - Push-Ups

Needs work.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

:roll:
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

All you need to be a Ranger are big enough balls not to give a fuck what any else says about your MOS. I was a Ranger Medic in a Ranger Weapons Platoon. We humped our asses off! Back in the day of 90mm recoiless sewer pipe, we each got a turn lugging that big bastard around perimeter road on weapons runs and road marches.

Some Rangers may even say that the 11Bang Bangs had the lightest loads to carry....not me, I'm just saying :P

What you want to be? A fucktard or a Ranger? Then balls up and sign up. Put your money where your keyboard is sonny boy! And do us all a favor and try to keep from getting KIT behind your name on the memorial.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
acidyen
Embryo

Post by acidyen »

panthersix wrote:All you need to be a Ranger are big enough balls not to give a fuck what any else says about your MOS. I was a Ranger Medic in a Ranger Weapons Platoon. We humped our asses off! Back in the day of 90mm recoiless sewer pipe, we each got a turn lugging that big bastard around perimeter road on weapons runs and road marches.

Some Rangers may even say that the 11Bang Bangs had the lightest loads to carry....not me, I'm just saying :P

What you want to be? A fucktard or a Ranger? Then balls up and sign up. Put your money where your keyboard is sonny boy! And do us all a favor and try to keep from getting KIT behind your name on the memorial.
Ranger Panthersix, you are the kind of person that motivates me to do rangers. You have that attitude that I strive for. Nothing is standing in the way of me becoming a ranger other then myself. My motivation is knowing that at the end of the day I'm not some guy flipping burgers down at the local quicky fast food place, but someone that actually serves a higher purpose, someone that stuck it out to the end, and someone that refused to say no unless it was "Are you ready to quit."
PT Assessment I:

45 - Sit-Ups
23 - Push-Ups

Needs work.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

acidyen wrote:
panthersix wrote:All you need to be a Ranger are big enough balls not to give a fuck what any else says about your MOS. I was a Ranger Medic in a Ranger Weapons Platoon. We humped our asses off! Back in the day of 90mm recoiless sewer pipe, we each got a turn lugging that big bastard around perimeter road on weapons runs and road marches.

Ranger Panthersix, you are the kind of person that motivates me to do rangers. You have that attitude that I strive for. Nothing is standing in the way of me becoming a ranger other then myself. My motivation is knowing that at the end of the day I'm not some guy flipping burgers down at the local quicky fast food place, but someone that actually serves a higher purpose, someone that stuck it out to the end, and someone that refused to say no unless it was "Are you ready to quit."
Ranger is the word. Let me write it again: Ranger. Got it?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Recruitment Process”