Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Embryo

Introduction

Post by 377 »

Name is Mark, 59, SF bay Area. Not a Ranger. Interested in military history. Occupations, many including commercial fisherman. Had a Ranger as a crewman on my fishing boat, Greg Hadfield, who fought in Grenada and also Panama as I recall. Been a skydiver since 68, still active, even made a few Herc jumps in 2003 from N131EC, an ex RAAF C 130A model, the only C 130 still flying with 3 bladed props.

Made an inquiry post on the 75th public forum seeking info on some heroic Ranger claims regarding a guy who says he killed 7 enemy soldiers on Grenada single handedly, 2 by gun and 5 by hand, all at once immediately after landing from a 500 ft Herc S/L jump. These claims are made by a guy who is a friend of a friend. I want to know whether they are true. If so I will definitely buy him a few drinks and give him my thanks. They just sound a bit over the top so I thought I'd seek some input from real Rangers. Lost touch with Greg, otherwise I'd ask him. See my 75th forum post for more info. If you have any replies, please post there.

Thanks for any info,
Mark
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

See that wasn't so bad.

Welcome to the site.

I'm sure one of the Rangers from that era will help you out.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Ranger Andy
Ranger

Introduction

Post by Ranger Andy »

Good luck on your journey! I hope you nail your Ranger wannabe...
Ranger Class 6-73 & 7-73
C Company, 75th Infantry (Ranger)
The Ranger Department (City Team)

I Hope They Serve Cold Beer in Hell...
Embryo

Post by 377 »

have you determined from his Grenada story "facts" that this guy is a poser rather than heroic Ranger?

Mark
Embryo

Post by 377 »

Ranger JTLW!!!

OK, I think I am learning the site protocol. I don't want to call BS on a genuine hero, especially one who can kill five enemy soldiers by hand... so I will await more specific responses denying the truth of the guy's story and until then just remain a quiet skeptic.

Thanks for the polite site guidance and response.

Mark
IDon'tCare
Ranger

Post by IDon'tCare »

Welcome and thanks for his name.

Invite this true ass Hero here so I can cyber throat punch his sorry ass.

Not on the Manifest.
A co 2/75 80-84
Ranger class 12-82
SERE Instructor class 1-83

Mentor to Prodigy922 / KW12 / whiskeytango
Fishboy
Ranger

Post by Fishboy »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com
I am sure someone will square you away on the hand to hand killer.
WHEN IN DOUBT, SHOOT IT OUT!
Never let your fears stand in the way of your dreams.

RS 4-92
Embryo

Post by 377 »

Ranger I Don't Care,

I haven't posted his name. He is a friend of a friend of mine and I don't want to be responsible for the "hero" getting some "personal training" from a real Ranger.

My friend (ex military himself) says that the "hero's" story about jumping into Grenada from 500 ft with a "mini 14" and a "50 cal sniper rifle" is believable. A Ranger in the 75th forum says BS based on the weapons described. I am going with the 75th Ranger's opinion, but my friend has found all this web info about military weapons and disagrees.

I am not a Ranger but I have made a lot of jumps, mostly from civil twins but a few from a surplus Herc. Hard to see how you could surprise 7 enemy soldiers if you jumped from 500 ft right over them. My Herc (N131EC) did a slow 500 ft flyby before he landed and it was really loud.

Thanks to you and any other Rangers who can help with information. I am trying to convince my friend that his so called Ranger friend is a poser. I hate to see any friend of mine taken in by a phony hero.

Mark
IDon'tCare
Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by IDon'tCare »

377 wrote:,Greg Hadfield, Lost touch with Greg, otherwise I'd ask him. See my 75th forum post for more info. If you have any replies, please post there.

Thanks for any info,
Mark
Don't see no Hadfield on the Manifest either. PM me your poser name like I said before. As far as your friend maybe check your spelling because I don't see his name on the Manifest. Tell your friend "Hadfield" the next time you ever talk to him to join this site and I can guarantee you ran in to two Posers If that is how you spell his last name.
A co 2/75 80-84
Ranger class 12-82
SERE Instructor class 1-83

Mentor to Prodigy922 / KW12 / whiskeytango
Embryo

Post by 377 »

Ranger I Don't Care,

I think just one poser not two. I am pretty sure Hadfield was a real Ranger. He never bragged about anything at all, you had to ask him. He later became as USAF PJ in the 129th Rescue Squadron and I had him lead me on a tour of the entire unit at Moffett Field in uniform, including an intro to the CO who addressed him as Sgt Hadfield, so I am 100% sure he wasn't was posing there.

He was a crewman on my commercial fishing boat and others when he was younger. Ironically he made a mid ocean medical rescue jump as a USAF (CA ANG) PJ and was transported to the distressed boat after being picked up by fishermen I knew. They were sure surprised to see a former deckhand arrive from the sky. I am 99.999% sure I am spelling his last name correctly. He was stationed in WA during a lot of his Ranger time.

I don't know why he wouldn't be on your Ranger manifest, but Greg isn't the poser type at all, in fact he is the polar opposite. I think his Ranger background was instrumental in his getting selected to be a PJ candidate.

Regards,
Mark

Return to “Introduction Archive”