Need Kermantle ropes

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Need Kermantle ropes

Post by rgrokelley »

I am the instructor for a Junior ROTC Raider team. Everything about the Raiders is loosely based upon the US Army Rangers. Their competition against other schools is known as the Raider Challenge. So you get the idea.

One of the events for the 8 man team is to build a rope bridge, get everyone across without touching the obstacle, and then get it down. I saw one team today at a competition that did the whole thing in 1 minute and 37 seconds.

Wow :shock:

Anyway, we blew out our rope. We use a kernmantle rope for speed. However I can't get these in the army system (at least I don't think I can).
I looked up the cost of one of these ropes from REI, and it is way over $100.

We run on a pretty cheap budget, so do any of you know where I can get 120 foot kernmantle ropes for cheaper?

Thanks,
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Here is what they look like at a competition last April in Fort Pickett, Virginia

RS - DHG 5-85
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Try a local FD. They will only use their ropes once and then discard them so as to eliminate the risk of failure from wear and tear. Someone may have a perfectly good rope lying around with your name on it.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:Try a local FD. They will only use their ropes once and then discard them so as to eliminate the risk of failure from wear and tear. Someone may have a perfectly good rope lying around with your name on it.
I'd like to be around that FD!!!

Around here, FD's keep there ropes for a looong, looong time. So long that a lot are probably not safe.

Kelley, I'll ask my search and rescue team if we have a spare kermantle 120 that you can use.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

BadMuther wrote:
The Sleepy Doc wrote:Try a local FD. They will only use their ropes once and then discard them so as to eliminate the risk of failure from wear and tear. Someone may have a perfectly good rope lying around with your name on it.

Around here, FD's keep there ropes for a looong, looong time. So long that a lot are probably not safe.

Kelley, I'll ask my search and rescue team if we have a spare kermantle 120 that you can use.
They might keep old ones for training, but every department I know in these parts of has a policy of using the ropes only once for an actual rescue. My landlord just got back from a ropes class in New Hampshire and is now one of the high-angle guys in his department. I'll ask him if he might have an old one.

Is there a drop dead time for this? (pun intended..)
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:
BadMuther wrote:

They might keep old ones for training, but every department I know in these parts of has a policy of using the ropes only once for an actual rescue. My landlord just got back from a ropes class in New Hampshire and is now one of the high-angle guys in his department. I'll ask him if he might have an old one.

Not here dude, seriously. I do sar (a lot of rope work) and most of our dudes are FFers. We just had that conversation the other day.

Ropes need a log and proper care. A one time use is a waste of money IMHO.
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:
BadMuther wrote:

No drop dead time. I wouldn't mind getting a free rope, but I am also looking for a cheaper place to buy them in the future. We snap a rope every year. There is maximum tension put on these things about 100 times a year.

I have never been into Tier One outfitters in Spring Lake (how do they get away with that name anyway? The mere mention of it used to be secret). Do they have ropes?
RS - DHG 5-85
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Kelley, You can borrow one of ours (SAR( as long as you don't shockload it.

Jim
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

still need ropes?
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC