Marine SGT turned down for MoH

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Trigger
Tadpole

Post by Trigger »

I believe that a man's actions in a life or death situation will show you what he is truly made of.

Based off of this Marine's actions, I would say he's one hell of a man, and one hell of a warrior, who deserves the MoH because of his actions.

RIP, Marine.
"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper (ret).
DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

We have had guys WALK into our hospital with GSW to the head that later killed them. I am glad that there is a rigorous vetting for MOH, but I think the benifit of the doubt should be to those on the ground who witnessed the act. If they say it was a purposeful movement, I believe it. MOH earned.
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/
johnjohnson1957
Ranger

Post by johnjohnson1957 »

The article said
According to that investigation, Marines scrambling for cover after an insurgent threw a grenade toward them plainly saw Peralta reach with his arm to "scoop" the grenade under his body.

Scorch marks were later found on his flak jacket, along with embedded pieces of shrapnel and a part of the grenade fuse, the reports show. "There's no way that grenade got under the center of mass of his body without him putting it there," said Reserve Marine Lt. Col. Scott Marconda, who investigated the incident in 2004 as a major and judge advocate. "I'm not a cheerleader. It is what it is. And my point is: I believe that he did that."
That scorch marks and shrapnel were found center mass of the front of his flak vest means somehow the grenade managed to work its way under a dead man or he put it there. Shouldn't matter if it was the unconcious response of a mortially wounded Marine. That more than one person reported seeing him reach for the grenade tells me all I need to know.

From my limited time working with Marines I know the Marines used to condition their folks to dive on grenades from day one in basic. I had a Marine LCpl in my chalk in Airborne school. Periodically I'd throw a rock at his feet and shout "grenade. Damn if he didn't still jump on them. He was a great troop. I made him one of my chalk's two APLs despite having some 2Lts. You have to be careful what you tell a Marine to do because once you give a Marine a task he will do it.
Army AD medic: FAMC, 2/5 FA, 97 Gen Hosp, AFRC Berchtesgaden, 28 CSH; 1975-1980
Army Guard/Reserve: 1/410 Inf, 209 Med Clr Co, 12th SF: 1982-1988
USAF AD: 1988-2003; Retired
RS 10-81
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I read that LTG Vines was included in the panel. He is about the most common-sense and down to earth guy I know. If he was involved you can rest assured that the evidence was looked at in great detail. Had I known about this before I would've asked him about it at the Ball game last Friday.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Tenn-RGR wrote:
johnjohnson1957 wrote:I know the Marines used to condition their folks to dive on grenades from day one in basic.
Would you care to enlighten us on what you know about this? Im confused (I know nothing new), are you saying the Marines actually train so that if a grenade lands within your immediate vicinity, they have to jump on it?
Replace "grenade" with "ugly fat girls", and it will most likely be true (been to Jacksonville, NC...proof that breading with Marines creates generations of "ugly")
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Incidents like this are overly emotional. If you look at the standards of the MH and DSC, they are quite similar:

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Awards/DSC1.html

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Awards/MOH1.htm

Yes, I know that I'm using the Army versions, but the standards are similar. If it is determined that the MH is inappropriate, the DSC or Navy cross will be awarded.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
alexleon13
US Army Veteran

Post by alexleon13 »

I don't know but in my opinion he should have been awarded the MOH. I don't buy the whole involuntary movement story. I would believe the Marines on the ground that witnessed it and are alive today because of his actions. I am a nurse and have seen people die and none ever grabbed something and pulled it under them involuntarily. This to me was an act of heroism and I know they have to screen these things meticulously but give me a break. The guy was a hero. And someone mentioned he was once an illegal alien well he should get automatic posthumous citinzenship for sure.
Graduate Ranger Class 7-87

'82-'83 1/58th Inf 197th Inf Bde
'83-'86 1/187th Inf 193rd Inf Bde Panama
'86-'89 5/187th and 1/187th Inf 101st Div
"89-'92 PLDC instructor and then 5/87th Inf 193rd Inf Bde Panama "Operation Just cause" (attached to the 7th Inf Div)

Return to “The Mosh Pit”