US: 500 youths detained in Iraq; 10 in Afghanistan

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
archangel
Tadpole

US: 500 youths detained in Iraq; 10 in Afghanistan

Post by archangel »

NEW YORK - The U.S. military is holding about 500 juveniles suspected of being "unlawful enemy combatants" in detention centers in Iraq and has about 10 detained in Afghanistan, the United States has told the United Nations.

A total of 2,500 youths under the age of 18 have been detained, almost all in Iraq, for periods up to a year or more in President Bush's anti-terrorism campaign since 2002, the United States reported last week to the U.N.'s Committee on the Rights of the Child.

Civil liberties groups such as the International Justice Network and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) denounced the detentions as abhorrent, and a violation of U.S. treaty obligations.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080519/ap_ ... ailed_kids
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having nearly bought it because of one of them "youth" I can say that I give a flying fuck.
4/1 ID Enbrace the suck.

"When in doubt ATTACK! Cause chaos, panic and confusion. Above all else SHOOT SOMETHING!"
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

and how does the ACLU suppose it will coerce the enemy to stop arming/training/deploying kids as fighters?
Get them to sign a treaty maybe? :roll:
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

I can send them a brick of 22LR, problem solved. :twisted:
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Yeah...our apprehension age was 10+
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Yea, we should just let them go and give the Ol, dont do er again lecture.
WTF :roll:
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

I walked the TIFs (Theater Internment Facilities) at Abu Ghraib, Suse, Bucca, Cropper every week with my principal - I can tell you first hand that the juveniles are the worst and hardest-core insurgents - easily influenced and brainwashed/dedicated to their cause. Most of the juveniles who are detained for a long period are Wahabbi's.

All the juveniles are kept segregated from adults and the watchdog procedures for the guards are even more stringent.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92

Return to “The News Dump”