Rise of the neo-coins

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Chiron
Ranger

Rise of the neo-coins

Post by Chiron »

Last week, in an op-ed in the New York Times, Lt Colonel John Nagel argued that the US needs a military advisory corps, a standing capacity to help build, train and fight with foreign military forces, such as in Iraq.
Nagel is a "neo-coin", one of a group of soldier-academics who, in the wake of General Petraeus' arrival in Iraq, has risen to prominence in the US national security debate. "Coin" stands for counter-insurgency.

The neo-coins propose a new strategic approach to the "war on terror" drawn from the counter-insurgency experiences of the 1960s. The war, they argue, is best understood as a global Islamist insurgency, initiated by a diffuse grouping of movements that seek to re-make Islam's role in the world. They use terrorism as their primary, but not their sole tactic.

Full story
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Intersting article and even more interesting are the comments posted about it. But as for a "an avisory corps of forces to train and fight with foreign military forces" and focus on counter-insurgency, I always thought that was a prime role of Special Forces.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Ranger Bill wrote:Intersting article and even more interesting are the comments posted about it. But as for a "an avisory corps of forces to train and fight with foreign military forces" and focus on counter-insurgency, I always thought that was a prime role of Special Forces.
Well, it is supposed to be the purpose of SF. Sadly, mission creep has drained them dry.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Jim wrote:
Ranger Bill wrote:Intersting article and even more interesting are the comments posted about it. But as for a "an avisory corps of forces to train and fight with foreign military forces" and focus on counter-insurgency, I always thought that was a prime role of Special Forces.
Well, it is supposed to be the purpose of SF. Sadly, mission creep has drained them dry.

I wouldnt call it mission Creep more like it FID isnt the "cool" mission.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

and there just aren't enough teams to go out and do the FID that needs doing here, just here in Iraq.

every single unit should be doing it and thinking COIN and how to work it to our advantage when they go out.

and some units, at Company level are doing it and getting good results. some Battalions and companies don't have a fucking clue.

some BNs and CO's think it's acceptable to sit on a FOB, and maybe go do a leader engament before they leave and RIP out so they have good slides. I've watched units drive all over a small village for an hour just trying to get to the Muqtar's house, so they can get "atmospherics" for the RIP slides. locals running them all over the place, "he lives over there I think", "no, he live on that side of town." first time in 9 months they've been it the town.

it's all driven by the commander. Bn or CO CDR drives how effective the tour's going to be. sometimes a PL/PSG can make it happen too, if they have some of their own space to work.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
archangel
Tadpole

Post by archangel »

Id like to echo what Ranger KW said. I just came from a BDE MiTT. I got a good look and understanding of the big picture and we found that the Bn and Co that strongly focused on COIN were VERY successful in their sector. Both in reducing violence, stablizing the community, and building a strong relationship with both out Iraqi counterparts and the civilian population.
4/1 ID Enbrace the suck.

"When in doubt ATTACK! Cause chaos, panic and confusion. Above all else SHOOT SOMETHING!"
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Not to detract from this thread, as these are valid observations, but a little clarification of the traditional SF mission. The original mission of SF was to advise and train insurgent and guerrilla elements in countries occupied by hostile forces. The roots of SF were in the three man OSS teams created during WWII to work with the French Maquis and similar partisan groups behind enemy lines. (One of the more notorious teams was the Deer mission which, ironically, worked with Ho Chi Minh against the Japanese in Indochina)
In the post-WWII era this was expanded into the original SF units which had hopes of working with partisan groups in the Soviet bloc in the event of WWIII. Incidently, this gave rise to many unsubstantiated stories of small "rehearsal" ops run in eastern Europe or teams being inserted during crises such as the Berlin Wall.
With the creation of the US supported Republic of SVN and the ensuing guerrilla war, SF was called on to provide COIN assistance, the prevailing wisdom being "who better to fight guerillas than our own troops trained to BE guerrillas"
This morphed into the additional groups (3rd, 6th, 7th) who were assigned other parts of the world, such as South America and Africa. There were a lot of MTTs run world wide at this time. SF was allegedly involved with the Bolivians who caught Che Guevara.
SF has actually been turned on its head from it's original mission of the Cold War era.
Should a conventional general war ever erupt again, SF will be tasked again with working behind enemy lines to support partisan groups.
Of course, I am years removed from my days in SF, but I know the original mission bore little resemblance to today's ops.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"

Return to “The News Dump”