Army shows off new MREs

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
EvilCouch
Ranger

Army shows off new MREs

Post by EvilCouch »

The Army offered up samples of the food as it rolled out its newest innovation -- special packets of easy-to-eat, high-nutrition, high-calorie foods designed for mobile forces.

The chow, mostly bagged finger-type foods that soldiers can just tear open and eat on the run, will be available in the field next month.

Army leaders are calling the new high-calorie Natick offering the First Strike Ration, and it would serve troops like Laverty, who head into combat first and are on the move. The packet is good for three meals, and includes about 3,000 calories -- designed for soldiers moving hard and fast, carrying heavy packs and equipment.

Inside are easy-to-eat, high-protein, high-carbohydrate foods that soldiers can stuff in their rucksacks and chomp on the run, including a pepperoni pocket sandwich, bacon cheddar pocket, tuna, beef jerky, wheat bread, cheese spread, applesauce, several power bars and even a pack of caffeine gum.
Full story
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Most of the stuff in the FSR seems cool, but what's with the beverage base powder? Mixing up Kool-aid isn't something I'd want to do if I was "on the go" at the time. Sticking the applesauce is a pouch that you can jam in your face and squeeze is a good move, though. I used to do that, although it's a bit trickier in the normal package.
World's worst webcomic
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Far cry from the freeze dried shit we ate known as Lurps. Just add water (if time permitted I'd use a small ball of c-4 for heating the water, handy stuff that c-4) & you got meatballs, spaghetti, Beef sumtin or other, chilli con carne & my favorite Chicken & rice. At the time it was a step up from the C-Rats of which most had dates 7 to 15 years earlier. Ya know I never even tried an MRE. Every once in a while I'd see MRE's on sale in the Commissisary for like $7.98 a meal. No shit!

Thanks for the post Evil Couch.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Steadfast wrote:Far cry from the freeze dried shit we ate known as Lurps. Just add water (if time permitted I'd use a small ball of c-4 for heating the water, handy stuff that c-4) & you got meatballs, spaghetti, Beef sumtin or other, chilli con carne & my favorite Chicken & rice. At the time it was a step up from the C-Rats of which most had dates 7 to 15 years earlier. Ya know I never even tried an MRE. Every once in a while I'd see MRE's on sale in the Commissisary for like $7.98 a meal. No shit!

You bet, Steadfast.

I had a few of the newish LRRPS rations during a RIP detail in '99. Did they have a ridiculous amount of tootsie rolls in yours?
World's worst webcomic
Ranger175csar
Ranger

Post by Ranger175csar »

Steadfast wrote:Far cry from the freeze dried shit we ate known as Lurps. Just add water (if time permitted I'd use a small ball of c-4 for heating the water, handy stuff that c-4) & you got meatballs, spaghetti, Beef sumtin or other, chilli con carne & my favorite Chicken & rice. At the time it was a step up from the C-Rats of which most had dates 7 to 15 years earlier. Ya know I never even tried an MRE. Every once in a while I'd see MRE's on sale in the Commissisary for like $7.98 a meal. No shit!

Freeze dried fruit was some good shit. They just need more toilet paper... I always ended up with less socks becasue of that.

I liked beef stew and chicken and rice.. I thought it was the shit when they came out with the heaters... Use to make some good compression bombs with those fuckers and drop them off in the leg barrack on Hunter... that was some funny shit. My bro that we talked about in the other forum was down and did it with us...good times.. good times...
Collins

1/75 HHC 94-96 S-4
RIP CLASS 7-94

Fuck em if they cant take a joke.....
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

EvilCouch wrote:

You bet, Steadfast.

I had a few of the newish LRRPS rations during a RIP detail in '99. Did they have a ridiculous amount of tootsie rolls in yours?
Actually I don't recall if we had toostsie rolls, I was not a tootsie person. I do remember there was a chocolate bar that didn't melt in the heat & hot cocoa. I remember taking both the cheedar cheese & premium type crackers (from the c-rats before I even left camp), crushing them (at mealtime) and throwing the shards in my mush - hell I was easy to please back in the old days. I use to carry 8 quarts of water per mission in my back pack, & one on the hip (up to 2 qts per day to stay hydrated) 'cause water was an ingredient in food to make it eatable. & a P-38 was mandatory to open cans.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Ranger175csar wrote:

Freeze dried fruit was some good shit. They just need more toilet paper... I always ended up with less socks becasue of that.

I liked beef stew and chicken and rice.. I thought it was the shit when they came out with the heaters... Use to make some good compression bombs with those fuckers and drop them off in the leg barrack on Hunter... that was some funny shit. My bro that we talked about in the other forum was down and did it with us...good times.. good times...
that s funny. :lol: :lol: :lol:

One time we got uninvited company while I was boiling my water and I had to s-l-o-w-l-y step on the c-4 and extinguish it.

We never had fruit.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
coldsteal2
Veteran: US Army/US Navy

Post by coldsteal2 »

Ranger175csar wrote:

Yea the freeze dried fruit was really good, i didnt mind the
hot dogs and sause too much, the peanut butter though.......
what was that stuff? ground up sawdust and oil?
We had C rats in the Navy, luckily by the time i was in the
Army they had the MRE's.
SGT USArmy Retired/Disabled
B 1/44 ADA 9th ID Ft Lewis 88-91 16R10 Vulcan Gunner
31M 63rd ARCOM 88 Oceanside CA
also
RM2 USN 1983-1988
NAVCOMMSTA SD 84-86
32nd ST NAVSTA 86-87
USS Merrill DD 976 86-87
NAS PENSACOLA Naval Aircrewman 87-88
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

I tried this First Strike stuff back in late '04. Didn't really like them too much. They brought three meals down the size of about one MRE. Sounds great. The only problem was that there was no separation in the meals. All of them were just thrown inside of one package. So what would normally happen when we used them is that we'd eat way too much and wouldn't have enough for later. The food portions felt much smaller than what they should be too. Maybe they fixed some of these things since that long ago but somehow I find that unlikely.

The military has needed to do something about the MRE's but unless these First Strike people unfucked themselves I don't think this is it...
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Anyone else actually enjoy the HOOAH bars? I'm pretty sure I was the only one in Bco that did. Which was fine with me, because that meant I could stash two boxes of them in my room and no one cared.
World's worst webcomic
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

EvilCouch wrote:Anyone else actually enjoy the HOOAH bars? I'm pretty sure I was the only one in Bco that did. Which was fine with me, because that meant I could stash two boxes of them in my room and no one cared.
A hooah bar? They have RANGER bars now! And the Ranger Bar tastes worse than the hooah bar.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
AntonA2W
Ranger

Post by AntonA2W »

God Bless the "Corned Beef Hash"...... wonder when they'll release the Shrimp Scampi MREs?? ( AF & Navy only)
"...Fuck it all and Fuckin no regrets..."

God Bless Dementia

1/75, A2W, 11Jul93-18Nov94 (started day 1 of a 34 day nap)

Return to “The News Dump”