Why we should be involved in global affairs..Warning:Graphic

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Darksaga
Soldier

Why we should be involved in global affairs..Warning:Graphic

Post by Darksaga »

I ate children's hearts, ex-rebel says
By Jonathan Paye-Layleh
BBC News, Monrovia

Milton Blahyi, a former feared rebel commander in Liberia's brutal civil war, has admitted to taking part in human sacrifices as part of traditional ceremonies intended to ensure victory in battle.

He said the sacrifices "included the killing of an innocent child and plucking out the heart, which was divided into pieces for us to eat."
There had been numerous rumours of human sacrifices during the 1979-93 conflict but this is the first time anyone has admitted publicly to the practice.

Mr Blahyi, 37, is better known in Liberia as "General Butt Naked" because he went into combat with no clothes on, to scare the enemy.

He is now an Evangelist preacher, who prefers to use the name Joshua.

Story from BBC NEWS:
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Not shocking in the least.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

There is a time when as a people, a people that is a global leader, and we see something like this article being done... we should choose between right and wrong. Do we standby and let the monstrosity happen or do we do something about it. I am a big advocate of America first and foremost however there is that demarcation line.

The actions described in the article though while they happened long ago, is the biggest argument for a people who care about what happens to people to be involved when the shit hits the fan.

I am not talking about world police. I am talking about letting events run their course and then saying enough is enough when the time is appropriate.

After all... It's about people, right?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

My very simple take on this.

It always boils down to one side having guns and one side not. So here’s some guns, here’s some ammo and a Ranger handbook in your native tongue.

Now man up and defend your self or go the way of the dodo!!
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

His crimes against humanity are heinous and this man needs to be stood up in front of a war crimes tribunal and held responsible for his actions.

That being said, we are talking about a General that allegedly lead from the front of the battle wearing nothing but a pair of jungle boots? :shock:

The size of his brass balls I don't believe I've seen since the ancient battles of the Spartans, in the recently chronicled movie '300'.

I'm not condoning his behavior in any way or making any other comparison to the Spartans other than (from the few accounts of his exploits I've read) to what I see as his Warrior spirit.
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

There is an issue here which I think is important. Who decides which “involvementâ€
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

It's Africa. Nobody gives a fuck about Africa. That's the sad, terrible truth.

I can't even begin to describe the atrocities the have gone on, currently go on, and will go on every day until we do something. But, the world doesn't care about Africa, and we'll let it go on and on until there's nobody left except fucking warlords. Then we'll step in and side with one in order to defeat the other, and so on, and so on...

haha, my f uck turned into duck!
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

With over 6 Billion people on the plannet, we could stand to benefit from losing 1 or 2 Billion. Hell, give me some unlimited ammo, and fresh barrels every so often, and I would have a BALL.

Africa is a sore spot. Beauty untold there... but poverty and corruption at unheard of levels. As poor as the people are, they still keep reproducing at an alarming rate.

I agree... give them guns, and Ranger Handbooks and let them go at it!
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

I see it as wrong to do that to somebody. But I ain't fucking african.

They've been doing that for thousands and thousands of years, who are we to tell them it's wrong and lose American lives to try and force feed to them that it's wrong.

One American life is not worth ten of theirs. I'm all for the rifles and Ranger Handbook and see ya later.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

cams wrote:I see it as wrong to do that to somebody. But I ain't fucking african.

They've been doing that for thousands and thousands of years, who are we to tell them it's wrong...
That's a good point. I know a lot of them are Christian, but for the ones who didn't sell out and stuck with their forefather's religion, human sacrifice and running around neked, killing other tribes is probably normal.

All this savagery may be the reason the world ignores what goes on there.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

dyks
Ranger

Post by dyks »

cams wrote:I see it as wrong to do that to somebody. But I ain't fucking african.

They've been doing that for thousands and thousands of years, who are we to tell them it's wrong and lose American lives to try and force feed to them that it's wrong.

One American life is not worth ten of theirs. I'm all for the rifles and Ranger Handbook and see ya later.
absolutely, morality lives in shades of grey, not that I'm making a relativist argument for cannibalism, just sayin. Not long ago in this country 13 years old was the age of consent. Where would that get you now? ass-raped in prison, if not shot by the girls father. I'm all for the guns and handbooks.

"the united states does not have friends, the united states has interests"

- Red Cross supervisor comment on the lack of US involvement in Rwanda-1996
B CO 3/75 96-98

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:

They've been doing that for thousands and thousands of years, who are we to tell them it's wrong...
That's a good point. I know a lot of them are Christian, but for the ones who didn't sell out and stuck with their forefather's religion, human sacrifice and running around neked, killing other tribes is probably normal.

All this savagery may be the reason the world ignores what goes on there.
We were discussing this last night at a meeting. How in Africa sometimes tribal lines come before Christ. How one tribe member could kill a different tribe member and yet both profess to be "Christians".

Africa is a complex situation. I wish Executive Outcomes didn't get shutdown....

Return to “The News Dump”