Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

cobraondarun
Embryo

Introduction

Post by cobraondarun »

Hello to all,

My name is Jose from Miami, Fl. and i am in the process of enlisting in the U.S. Army with an Option 40 enlistment contract. I am 23 years old, I have an A.A. degree and am currently working as a front desk security officer. I have spent the last 8 months preparing mentally and physically for the challenges that await me. I have taken the APFT and my results were as followed: run- 14 minutes pushups-102 (2min) sit-ups-100(2min). I have been rucking with a large ALICE pack for about 12 miles with an average of 14.5min a mile.
Great site, a lot of valuable information.
"Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly."~Albert Einstein
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

If your PU and SU are real it looks like we are about 2 minutes from having a bona fide stud finally show up to kick some ass. Your run is a bit pathetic for as fit as you seem to be. Are you a smoker or something? I can't do as many PU and SU as you can in 2 minutes any more but I can still knock out a sub 13 minute 2 mile and I'm 15 pounds over weight. Get your ass in gear and shoot for that initial 300 right out of the gates.

Read up on interval training and fartlek runs. Join the local running club, there are some skinny fuckers in there that will get kick your ass and get your times down. There is a 60 year old man in my club that runs 3 hour Marathons. He averages per mile for 26.2 just over what you do for 2. Pu and SU are cool and all but you will be judged by your run. So stop reading this and go run!!!

Good luck to you!! Let us know when your Option 40 is confirmed.
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
cobraondarun
Embryo

Post by cobraondarun »

My recruiter is helping me improve my runs teaching me how to pace myself and how to better use my long strides. My APFT scores are from 5 weeks ago hopefully the new ones this week should be better. Will keep everyone posted.
"Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly."~Albert Einstein
SAVAGE^
Infantryman

Post by SAVAGE^ »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com, PM inbound.

SAVAGE
Nik
RRDTm3's bitch
In Airborne hold

"It Only Sucks While Your Doing It"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

cobraondarun wrote:My recruiter is helping me improve my runs teaching me how to pace myself and how to better use my long strides. My APFT scores are from 5 weeks ago hopefully the new ones this week should be better. Will keep everyone posted.
Unless your recruiter is wearing a Tab or has served time in Regiment he can fuck off. Don't listen to his dumb ass. He is not your buddy, you are a fucking quota to him.

Is he grading your shit because if he is not grading perfect pu and su he is doing more harm than good. Maybe 20% of the dudes in Battalion can do as many PU and SU as you said you could if they are graded like they will be in training.
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Cliv03 wrote:I'm wondering if you do correct push-ups and sit-ups....or do you do the half-up and down rapid shit, or maybe the front leaning rest position "head bobbers" that would never count in the military?
:roll: :roll:
Anyway, welcome and good luck in your endeavors
Exactly what I was thinking. I've seen so many guys doing these halfway down push-ups, speeding thru them, thinking they are studs because they are at 100, or 105 with some assed up leg actually counting them during a PT test. In all actuallity, when they were retested and graded properly, they barely hit 50-60 and were sucking wind with their asses up in the air.

Your form will be graded more so than anything right out of the gate.
Do proper p/u's or you are only hurting yourself.

If you are doing them correctly, good for you, work on your run, it's a killer. :twisted:
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Welcome.

You need to fully understand that the numbers you stated for your p/u and s/u are rather high. Normally numbers aren't seen that high by someone before they at least graduate from basic/AIT and usually not even then unless they are a fitness guru. And still the civilian fitness guru's don't do p/u's or s/u's to Army standards before the come in. You also need to understand that the Regt and Ranger School grade on a higher standard(you won't be given shit that you don't earn). Read up on and understand the APFT standards and ask someone with experience to grade you and see how you do. Your run time isn't to bad but will need to be improved by at least 2 minutes.

Post your new scores in here so we can see how you did.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Blacksheep22
Ranger

Post by Blacksheep22 »

Listen Jose,

These men know what the fuck they're talking about. One of my best buds in BN never made it to Ranger School and was ultimately DX'ed because he wasn't a strong runner. He was as strong as a mutherfuckin' ox and could hump a 60, ammo, tripod, spare barrel bag and every other thing his sadistic gunner could load on him, but his non-running ass cost him in the long run.

What was his typical run time? About 13:20.

Remember, puking is not the worst thing that can happen at the end of the run, being over the time limit is.
If you don't stand behind our troops,
PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them.

RLTW,

Blacksheep22

A Company 2/75 Ranger
2nd Platoon - Blacksheep 1986-1989
Ranger School Class 7-87
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Welcome.

Take the advice given and work. My run when I first got to RIP was 11:30 and I was getting smoked by the runs then. You must run more.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
cobraondarun
Embryo

Post by cobraondarun »

Thanks for the advice Rangers, i just have to keep running harder and harder, being a meathead i have always kept my cardio to the stairmaster(lol), but im out of the gym now and just running. I have begun to include interval running by going to the local shopping mall at 0500 and sprinting up the ramps in the parking garages, and then finishing it off with a 5 mile run. My endurance is fine it is just my speed that is not where it should be, hopefully the interval and speed training works. I have purchased the e-book from Stew Smith on preparing for SF/Ranger school, any opinions on his methods or training advice?
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jose, a man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. You have done well for now. If you truly wish to serve in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right place. Read the FAQs, as well as selected stickies and threads. Please take this opportunity to review the Ranger Creed and think about what it means to you. Continue to PT yourself and keep us updated on your efforts. Do you have a report date yet?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cobraondarun
Embryo

Post by cobraondarun »

Ranger Jim,
I am still in the process of getting my enlistment contract and getting a waiver which is in the process of getting approved.
Ranger Dafid Ranger,
I got off of the creatine about a year ago since i had read that creatine and military workouts don't go together. What you said is true most guys i know from the gym never run, so unfortunately i was taught the same training mentality. I am just glad i began to research and read about what the military expects in regards to fitness levels, and now have a chance to revamp my training.
Just out of curiousity, i have been wearing a weighted vest (VO2 max) roughly 75lbs, to use while i perform my pushups, pullups, and situps and also while running up the bleachers at the local track. Is this is a waste of time? By the way i do not and/or will not allow the above training to interfere with my running which is my true weak point.
Thanks in advance.
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Get rid of the vest, using added weight while doing pushups and pullups is going to increase you muscle mass, which judging by you run time will hurt you in the long run. It might not be cool to be lean, but you will notice a huge improvement in you run time, not just from the weight that you won't have to carry, but your flexability will greatly improve thereby allowing you to be able to stretch out your stride and simple math tells you longer stride at the same pace as a shorter stride will bring faster run times.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "

Return to “Introduction Archive”