Respecting Veterans

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

EggMcMuffin
Tadpole

Respecting Veterans

Post by EggMcMuffin »

Lately we have a few people come on this site and show outright disrespect to the veterans and Rangers; this is totally inappropriate.

First off, these veterans have done everything to earn our respect; we have done nothing near as commendable and honorable as serving in the Armed Forces to earn their respect. These veterans have in many cases given up their physical well being and some have died serving. While our society promotes equality, we, even more so here, are not equals with the veterans. They have done amazing things, and they were not in it for the money or prestige, etc., they did for our country. They have and are protecting the very rights and ideals our very country is based upon. Without veterans, we all would be speaking German, or Spanish, or Russian, or Arabic right now. Your life would not be as it is right now without veterans. Everyone has seen the enemy we are up against now. They are crazy. Without our veterans and active military personnel that have been kicking ass in the Middle East right now, you very well may have not been alive to read this. They are all out dying while we are here are on the computer. THIS IS WHY THEY HAVE EARNED OUR RESPECT.

Now that I have explained why veterans have done so much to earn our respect, I'll explain why it is even more important here. Look at the name of the site you are on. It says ArmyRanger.com; not I'm17andIwantto beaRanger.com. This is their house; they allow us to be here. Our presence is a privilege, not a right. We are here voluntarily. Do you go to someone else's home and get smartassed with them? I know I don't and I hope that you would not either. You need to know your place here. You are not allowed to dictate rules to anyone.

This goes back to us and the veterans not being equals. Have some humility, check your ego, and swallow your pride. Even if you think you are correct, don't try to argue with a Ranger or veteran. A "Roger that Ranger (e.g.) Desert Sloth." is all you need to say. Being that this is the Ranger's AO, they make the rules. If they say all DEPs are no longer allowed to post in News, Politics, and Policy, so it is. You don't ask questions, you do it. The same applies when you screw up. There is a saying that goes along the lines of "What is the maximum range of an excuse?.......................Zero fucking meters."

Say that something happens by coincidence, and because of that, you screw up. A veteran gets onto you because of your screw up, but you do not think you are at fault. This is where swallowing your pride and checking your ego comes in. Once again, YOU DO NOT ARGUE, REPEAT, DO NOT ARGUE WITH VETERANS, EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU ARE NOT AT FAULT. Just reply that you understand and learn from your mistakes. Make sure that you do not make the same mistake again.

One of the reasons you do not question what you are told is respect. When you say "Why am I in trouble? That's not fair." You are in effect saying "Screw you, what do you know." It is questioning authority that you have not earned the right to question.

One more thing, do not take smokings personally, learn from them. The Rangers are trying to help us. Almost everything they will tell you has a lesson in it. This is also where humility, swallowing your pride, and controlling your ego come in. If you are thin skinned and get offended, you will be more likely to say something dumb and disrespectful.
If you don't address a Ranger as "Ranger" and they smoke the crap out of you, don't get offended. Just learn from your mistake and don't let it happen again.

Time for some real world examples.

Watch what you say. Try to think about how what you say will sound like.
Example, here.

Here is an example of having to much ego to shut up. As you can see he ended up banned.

Here is an example of arguing and not shutting up. This is also an example of not remembering your place on the forum. The FAQ states specifically not to give advice on soldiering if you have not yet done so. He gave advice out of place and then argued about it. He also was banned.

Here is an example of lack of humility. Despite his education at the Marine Military Academy, he still showed disrespect toward the Rangers, yet demanded respect from them. He was also banned.

Now here are some examples of what to do.

Here is an example of a good introduction. The way this introduction is an example of respect, is that he came on this site and respected the rules, and in turn the veterans that wrote them and the veterans that come to this website.

Here is an example of doing what you are told without arguing. The Ranger gave a task, and the DEPs and Newts did not ask why, they replied and acknowledged their orders simply, and completed the task. This is another example of respecting veterans.

Always show respect. When in doubt don't say anything.
Last edited by EggMcMuffin on June 12th, 2004, 11:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
USAFA-CAP
SWR-TX-441

With my left hand and the internet, anyone's my girlfriend.

"We must remember that one man is much the same as another,
and he is best who is trained in the severest school." -Thucydidies
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Thank you Ed Eggman for your observation. It certainly has been a long evening. I shall let you carry on Ed Eggman. I shall take a break.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

EXCELLENT!! 8)
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
rangercamaro
Ranger

Post by rangercamaro »

Well put Egghead,

I see that you have one aspect under control. If your take on other tasks in this manner you may go far.

I was a lil disappointed you undertook the assignment alone though. This could have been a valuable training session for the younger DEP'ers. Remember, we are always training to meet the needs of the future. Younger DEP'ers will need to know how to execute to standards. When you joined Egghead, you had a group of DEP'ers that had been here a while to help and guide you, now its your turn to help them.

Remember, you do not have all the information or possible objectives in any situation. Execute to complete the given mission so as not to screw up someone else's.
Bco 1/75 2nd plt Wpn Sqd 89-93
HHC 1/75 Bn Armorer 93-94 (after cookoff)
EggMcMuffin
Tadpole

Post by EggMcMuffin »

Thank you Ranger Steadfast, Ranger Luna, and Ranger Camaro. 8)

Ranger Camaro I had already about finished before I saw your post instructing me to consult others, but here is the list of those who helped me with this assignment with thier input on revisions and the like so far. I have PM'd others so they may too have something else to add that I have not included. I have made a few revisions to the original message based on suggestions I have gotten, and may make more based on responses I get from the other DEPs I have PM'd. 8)

The list so far of those who have responded.

Ray80

Vapor Brain

jagged

blacksrt4

Malarkey87

certiorari

Hopps

chukklehead

devilrat35
Last edited by EggMcMuffin on April 27th, 2004, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAFA-CAP
SWR-TX-441

Snake Juice
Tadpole

Post by Snake Juice »

Roger, sounds good
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Good post Egghead.

I think you hit on the main points about this forum. This isn't some weird sick forum for Rangers to get off slamming those that want to someday serve in the Regiment. Those of you that are humble, genuinely interested and motivated to become Rangers have stumbled into a unique resource of information and BTDT advice. I haven't seen a similar SF or SEAL website for example.

I wish I had something like this in 1984 when I enlisted. I was an immature 17 year old dickhead when I enlisted, an 18 year old dickhead when I graduated from RIP and a 20 year old dickhead when I drank my way (via a DUI) out of the Regiment. Now looking back, I was in the NFL and worked as hard as I could to get sent down to the Arena League.

I have been, by the grace of the Big Ranger in the Sky, incredibly successful in business, education, money etc. That being said, the saddest day was when I turned in my equipment and went to a leg unit because I fucked up.

So, the point of this endless missive is that even if one of you learn from all this and serve in the Regiment that makes it worth it to me.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Bell

Post by Bell »

Eggman, you surprised me. I'm impressed with your effort. Congratulations on a job well done. Continue this line of effort and I'm sure you'll be a Ranger in no time.

What's neat is to come back and look at yer stupid ass remarks when ya first got here and wonder what the hell you were thinking when ya said that.

Drive on youngun. Yer doing good.

RLTW
Bell
DocDaigle

I agree

Post by DocDaigle »

Bell wrote:Eggman, you surprised me. I'm impressed with your effort. Congratulations on a job well done. Continue this line of effort and I'm sure you'll be a Ranger in no time.

What's neat is to come back and look at yer stupid ass remarks when ya first got here and wonder what the hell you were thinking when ya said that.

Drive on youngun. Yer doing good.

RLTW
Bell
I was very impressed with your positing Eggman. Your work reflects commitment and attention to detail. Now, hit the fukcing deck and knock out 35. Good job.
EggMcMuffin
Tadpole

Post by EggMcMuffin »

Thank you very much Ranger Intel Toad, Ranger Bell, and Ranger DocDaigle. :P I knocked out my 35 pushups Ranger DocDaigle. 8)
USAFA-CAP
SWR-TX-441

Return to “Introduction Archive”