M-4 options

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
GSXRanger
Ranger

M-4 options

Post by GSXRanger »

Hello Gang,

Gotta quick question for those in the know. I have purchased an M-4 for personal satisfaction... the S&W M&P-15T.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... sFirearm=Y

Out of the box, it's a great shooter. Now, for the upgrades. I am curious as to what mods you fellas would advise me on. I have used the EOTech, as well as Aim Point sights. I am also aware of the Sure Fire tac lights.

Anyway, Santa has given me an early nod this year... so, I am looking forward to reading the advice from the guys that use these things in the shit. Information on good optics and light configurations would be great.

Thanks in advance...

GSXRanger
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
m-14.762
US Army Veteran

Post by m-14.762 »

personally forward pistol grip, Aimpoint and a sling, then load up on mags and ammo and shoot it!
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

My work RIG

One of the things that is most overlooked is the pistol grip. I have a custom grip made by "First SAMCO". This grip provides a postive hold and assists in proper rearward pull from the pistol grip into the pocket (shoulder or armor)

The vertical fore grip is made by the same company. I appreciate the fact tha it was made with a channel for the pressure switch which activates the TACLIGHT

As implied I am a fan of the EOTECH. I don't feel that every guy in the patrol needs to have a scope. They are nice for observation, but they giv up advantage with NODs (EOTECH is NOD friendly) and they have 1/3 the Target obscuration of an M68 (CCO)
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Thanks SB... awesome lookin' rig.

Also, thanks for the link, I will read that when I get home tonight. Now, since my M-4 is for personal use, I doubt I will ever be able to take it on deployment with me... however, the optics and such that I have, I can take with me.

I was curious about this... Seems like a nice combination of the dot sight, and a 4x scope. Anyone ever use it?

http://www.leupold.com/products/tactica ... _4_CQT.htm
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nugget
Ranger

Post by Nugget »

Silverback wrote:My work RIG

One of the things that is most overlooked is the pistol grip. I have a custom grip made by "First SAMCO". This grip provides a postive hold and assists in proper rearward pull from the pistol grip into the pocket (shoulder or armor)

The vertical fore grip is made by the same company. I appreciate the fact tha it was made with a channel for the pressure switch which activates the TACLIGHT

As implied I am a fan of the EOTECH. I don't feel that every guy in the patrol needs to have a scope. They are nice for observation, but they giv up advantage with NODs (EOTECH is NOD friendly) and they have 1/3 the Target obscuration of an M68 (CCO)
I bet that thing gets a lot of work from behind your desk. :lol: :lol:
A Co 1/75 1996-2000
Class 9-98

"I'm not the best medic, but I'm YOUR medic"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Nugget wrote:
Silverback wrote:My work RIG

I bet that thing gets a lot of work from behind your desk. :lol: :lol:
Ouch...that was harsh. Why do you think it's so clean fucker!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Tenn-RGR wrote:whats up with the tiled floors? Damn, shit is rough!!!!!!!
I know...I apologize for the dirt, it's the cleaning crews day off.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

borebrush wrote:
GSXRanger wrote:Thanks SB... awesome lookin' rig.

Also, thanks for the link, I will read that when I get home tonight. Now, since my M-4 is for personal use, I doubt I will ever be able to take it on deployment with me... however, the optics and such that I have, I can take with me.

I was curious about this... Seems like a nice combination of the dot sight, and a 4x scope. Anyone ever use it?

http://www.leupold.com/products/tactica ... _4_CQT.htm
Ranger, from my own limited experiance with that optic... well I was cussing that thing on Day 2. It is not light, and not cheap. For that money you could get an ACOG, which is what spoiled me in the first place. I've owned Aimpoint, EOTech, and was issued an ACOG. All three have their niche. The plus for me is that the ACOG doesn't gobble batteries, and you dont have to fuck with switches to get it on and to the right setting.

Again, I say avoid that specific Loopy. It's a bigger, over engineered Aim point. For just over half the cost you could have a Aimpoint 3x.

Currently I run an old school Aimpoint. check out the pricing and options at www.swfa.com
BoreBrush... thank you for the advice Devil Dog!!!!

I have used AimPoint as well as EoTech... and can pretty much list the difference between the two. I have never used the Aimpoint with the 3x magnifier. The cool thing about the rails, is you can change stuff... but, since it's coming out of my own pocket, I want the most "bang" for the $$

I respect the opinion of the guys who actually use this stuff.

Again, Thanks...
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Gotta love the tie downs though!
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

RRDTm3 wrote:Gotta love the tie downs though!
I tried rolling without them but I seriously felt fucked up until they were on there. Old habits die hard...
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

One has to become sort of an armorer when you contract since there is no real organic support other than "Big Vic"(named changed to protect the guilty) that lived two trailers on the right past the sandbag wall who had over priced aftermarket parts, a vice, pliers and blow torch in order to get medieval with your weapon.

A little trick that I do is build a dream weapon between contracts with cool guy shit picked up here and there at gun shows or from guys "demobing" before you. You learn how to put stuff together and get to try it before you deploy/hit the road so you know what works and what is bull shit.

So here is what you should get:

-Shitcan the lower reciever and replace it with a Rock River Arms lower with match parts.
-Get a hogue grip
-Get a winter trigger guard. (Mag-pull)
-Shit can the stock and get either a Lewis Machine and Tool / or a Voltor stock.
-Get an EO-Tech that works on AA batteries and is NV capable.
-Get flip up rear sights.
-Shitcan the upper reciever and get one/build one that has a free floated heavy barrel - at least 16". 1in9 inch twist works the best with 62grn.
-Free float quad rail, one piece type.
-Surefire light with IR cover and mount / pressure pad switch.
-Flip down front grip - I like the the "shorty" Berretta model. Mount the pressure pad to the grip.
-Get a Phantom TID serrated type flash hider since an M-4 is too short to mount a bayonet on.
-Flip up front sight to go with the rear one when the batteries in your EOTECH explode becasue its really fuckin' hot outside.
-Just a simple Wolf-Sling(Spec Ops brand) - 1/2 on the buttstock 1/2 on your tac-vest. - nothin' fancy cause it'll cut the shit out of you over time.
-YES, H&K mags as many as you can afford -
-A small parts survival kit would be a good idea.
-I have "Quick take down" pins - the push button type for both the take down pin and the pivot pin. - These replace some additional standard shitty little pins and springs that could otherwise fail or break or whatever.
-Get some anti-walk out pins for the reciever.

Get some of those Skull beads on parachute cord keychains and tie a few here and there on the handguards becasue the Apache Indians used to do it, and it adds character to your new "boom stick". Grow a beard, grow your hair out, get greasy, wear Wiley X glasses with the biker pads on the inside and get paid.....

Oh Yeah-

Get some tools from Brownell's and some Gunsmithing literature from AGI (American Gunsmithing Institute)

Answer your question Bro,.....
Last edited by ChipOnShoulder on April 6th, 2007, 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

PM Sent to ya Doc...
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Return to “Weapons of War”