Physical training at OSUT

Basic & AIT
RenaissanceMan
Tadpole

Physical training at OSUT

Post by RenaissanceMan »

Rangers, veterans, and members of the site:

Thank you for the opportunity to pose a question to the Rangers of this board. I report for basic training February 8. In preparation for reporting, I have been working out regularly for over two years (running, push-ups, and sit-ups). After carefully researching the site, I have found many ways to improve my physical training and I am grateful. I would like to know if there are any extra tips or any advice any Rangers can offer me to sustain a high level of physical training while in basic training. Specifically, is there time for a recruit to do extra training in order to continue reaching for the Ranger standard that awaits at Ranger Indoctrination Program? I am concerned that my run time for the five-mile test will falter if not properly maintained through consistent five mile (and further) runs.

I have vowed not to fail and want to ensure that I do everything in my power to maintain a high level of physical training. Once again, I would like to say how grateful I am to all of the Rangers, veterans, and family members of this board for their sacrifices in defense of our country and for the advice and inspiration that they have provided me in my efforts to earn myself a spot as a United States Army Ranger. Thank you for allowing me to post this question and for your advice.
46 and 2 are just ahead of me.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

RM, you've come a long way. If you are in very good physical condition, you may find that during OSUT you may lose your edge. You need to keep up your fitness level if you expect to maintain yourself. After the first couple weeks of being locked-up, the opportunity (and time) for self-directed PT will become available.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
m-14.762
US Army Veteran

Post by m-14.762 »

When I was there we had very little free time, but some of us would do pushups and situps at night to try and stay ahead of the power curve.

Towards the end you spend alot of time in the field so more of the emphasis is on rucking then running on the PT field.

where are you with your PT? Run Time, PU and SU?

Return to “About OSUT”