REALITY CHECK

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
MARINEvet
USMC Veteran

REALITY CHECK

Post by MARINEvet »

After the excitement of their initial training wears off, so many young enlistees become disillusioned with service in the operational military. One of the reasons for this is that young men start out naive, and with a overly optimistic image of our military. It is important to realize that our military "system" is not perfect, nor are the people that serve. Our military has served our nation and mankind for over two hundred years; but it is wrought with many problems: political corectness, feminization, and wasteful spending to name a few problems. Most people serve to make an honest contribution, but our military is a reflection of our society. You'll encounter people that abuse their authority, are self promoting, and selfish. You'll witness people that are lazy, criminals, and have an entitlement attitude. REALIZE THESE THINGS UP FRONT AND YOU'LL BE BETTER PREPARED TO COPE WITH THE INEVITABLE HIGHS AND LOWS OF SERVICE!
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

good points, but what prompted the post?
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
MARINEvet
USMC Veteran

Post by MARINEvet »

The post is prompted by my own memories of how naive I was as a teenager entering the service. I don,t want to discourage anybody; I just hope that new recruits can; in a small way, learn from my experience.
Last edited by MARINEvet on April 23rd, 2004, 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Good post and probably true for most of Armed Services, but not true for Ranger Bats, there are problems but nothing like what I hear from RA dudes. At work I refer to my time in the RGT as la la land, I call it that because the people that I work with have no concept of what its like to work in a place where the work ethic matters, the job is important and that you would actually have to rely on the guy next to you to watch your back.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

I agree with the Toad
RSD 96-99

Return to “Recruitment Process”