Introduction

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Adam81
USAR Veteran

Introduction

Post by Adam81 »

My name is Adam and I am a 217 year old attorney from Paramus, NJ. I enlisted in the Army Reserve in 10/97 as a 91B and attended basic at Ft. Jackson, SC (2-13th Infantry). Like most medics, I attended AIT at Ft. Sam Houston in Texas. I was then assigned to the 306th MP's in Uniondale, NY, where I was attending college. I completed my service in the IRR in 10/04.

I joined this site to learn from and interact with active or veteran Rangers. My grandfather served with the Meryll's Marauders in WWII in Burma and Indochina, and he tried to instill Ranger values in me since I was a young boy.

My grandfather is now very ill and has been hospitalized since last February. However, he wears his hat bearing the Ranger tab along with several medals and his infantry badge every day. Thankfully, shortly before he fell ill he was able to return to Ft. Benning and meet and interact with several active Rangers. They are the only men he really relates to, so it was great to see him so happy.

Unfortunately his doctors say he will not live much longer because of a variety of physical illnesses. I am interested in finding out what sort of honors he will be entitled to when he passes. I come from a family of servicemen and when they passed away the the VFW sent representatives. However, my grandfather is the only Ranger. Not only that, but his entire life since WWII has revolved around being a Ranger. I want to make sure that when he passes he is paid a proper tribute.

I am also interested in finding out how I can send care packages to Rangers serving right now. For example, what items are specifically prohibited (alcohol, food?) and what items are most needed.

Thank you all for allowing me to introduce myself.

Adam
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

***MOVED TO PROPER FORUM***
Welcome to the site, Adam. Your grandfather paved the way for all of us here. Give him our thanks and our warmest regards. I hope that he gets stronger and stays with us.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

How were things at Valley Forge?

Welcome
It's all good.
Everett Ruess
Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by Everett Ruess »

Adam81 wrote:My name is Adam and I am a 217 year old attorney from Paramus, NJ.
:shock: Wow! And to think you have a living grandfather! Oh, welcome.
HHC 1/75 '92
OIF 07-09
197th STC (SO)(A)-present

Sua Sponte!

Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent - that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman and loves only a warrior.
Friedrich Nietzsche
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Adam81

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome

RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Think they were called Barristers back then.....still under British influence. OK, so you are the oldest living slodier in history and on the planet....another first for ArmyRanger.com.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Adam81
USAR Veteran

Post by Adam81 »

Sorry, I meant to type 27 but sometimes i try to type faster than I can!

Ranger Earthpig,

I will certainly pass your thanks on. It will mean a lot to him and I appreciate it. I'm trying to find a way to get him online with a laptop at the hospital. He's not able to get out of bed but he can type (still even plays cards) and he'd love to read through this site. He's a member of some AOL hunting and fishing groups and likes to chat on the instant messanger (his screen name is burmaranger). At this point its anything to lift his spirits.

In fact, I met an attorney at the courthouse up here and it turns out he was a Ranger who served in Desert Storm. We got to talking and when he found out about my grandfather he went to the hospital to visit him. I never met the man before but getting a visit from another Ranger made my grandfather actually smile. We became friends and grab a few beers here and there. I was impressed that he never met my grandfather before but literally insisted on going to spend time with him.
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Everett Ruess wrote:
You beat me to it E.R.!

Welcome Adam.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

Welcome and Repects to your Grandfather!
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
H75thRangers
Ranger

Post by H75thRangers »

Youngster.........ya've got a national treasure on your hands! Post his address or email address and we'll correspond with him.
H Co(Rgr) 75th Inf(Abn) 1st Cav RVN 9/69-5/72
3d Bde (Abn) 101st Abn Div Ft Campbell '72-'74
CENTAG, Seckenheim, Germany '74-'77

If you kill for pleasure, you're a sadist...
If you kill for money, you're a mercenary...
If you kill for both, you're a RANGER!!!
CGoog

Post by CGoog »

Welcome to the site, im sorry for all that you and your grandfather are going through I wish you both the best !! :D
Bell

Post by Bell »

Welcome here.

RLTW
Bell
Warriorwife
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by Warriorwife »

Welcome to the site and Thankyou to your Grandad for his years of service and sacrifice.
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Everett Ruess wrote:
My thoughts precisely. Some of the guys here are going to be ecstatic to see that you have them beat by a couple of years and now hold the probably indefeatable title of being the resident "Blue" here.

Tell your grandfather thank you for setting the pace for all of us.

Welcome to the Site!

Return to “Introduction Archive”