Bought SOCOM 16

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
another damn texan
Ranger

Bought SOCOM 16

Post by another damn texan »

Bought a Springfield SOCOM 16 yesterday and went out and put some rounds through it. Besides the semi-gay name it is a sweet shooting son-of-a-bitch. Recoil ain't bad and muzzle rise is almost nil for a .308. Wish I could take it back to Iraq with me but oh well. Anybody else on this forum have one and what are your opinions of it?
Bco 3/75 1993-1996
RS 1-95
fireranger
Ranger

Post by fireranger »

Nice. I am saving right now for one.
3 rd. Plt. C Co. 2/75 1993-1997, RS 10-94 (Navigators)

But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?
another damn texan
Ranger

No optic on it yet. Probably going to go with a reflex but I think I have spent enough dough for now.
Bco 3/75 1993-1996
RS 1-95
Get-Her-Done Ranger
Ranger

Post by Get-Her-Done Ranger »

My father gave me approx 1/2 of his collection of weapons and one is a 30-06 springfield (06 or 03 model i think), it is the same weapon used in privite ryan that the sniper used. That is the best shooting rifle, iv hunted with it ever since a child, trigger is so smooth. Its old and has been customized, but i know it like the back of my hand. That is a little off subject but............
1/75 HHC, commo
RS 6/96
TIB 7/94-10/97
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Get-Her-Done Ranger wrote:My father gave me approx 1/2 of his collection of weapons and one is a 30-06 springfield (06 or 03 model i think), it is the same weapon used in privite ryan that the sniper used. That is the best shooting rifle, iv hunted with it ever since a child, trigger is so smooth. Its old and has been customized, but i know it like the back of my hand. That is a little off subject but............
It was the 03 model.
another damn texan
Ranger

Damn those are pretty valuable if I'm not mistaken. SOCOM update: I have developed a hairline crack on the handguard near the accessory rail. Great gun that I can drive nails with but Springfield is going to have to get me some new furniture for it. For $1500 bucks I expect it to hold up a little better than that. Lifetime warranty and supposedly they have excellent customer service. We'll see.
Bco 3/75 1993-1996
RS 1-95
m-14.762
US Army Veteran

Post by m-14.762 »

another damn texan wrote:Damn those are pretty valuable if I'm not mistaken. SOCOM update: I have developed a hairline crack on the handguard near the accessory rail. Great gun that I can drive nails with but Springfield is going to have to get me some new furniture for it. For $1500 bucks I expect it to hold up a little better than that. Lifetime warranty and supposedly they have excellent customer service. We'll see.
I know the M1A series has great sites but have you thought about mounting a ACOG or M68 aimpoint on that baby they are really sweet with optics!
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

m-14.762 wrote:
another damn texan wrote:Damn those are pretty valuable if I'm not mistaken. SOCOM update: I have developed a hairline crack on the handguard near the accessory rail. Great gun that I can drive nails with but Springfield is going to have to get me some new furniture for it. For $1500 bucks I expect it to hold up a little better than that. Lifetime warranty and supposedly they have excellent customer service. We'll see.
I know the M1A series has great sites but have you thought about mounting a ACOG or M68 aimpoint on that baby they are really sweet with optics!
Why would you mount an ACOG on it?

The rail is all the way forward.

Aimpoint yes, ACOG fuck no.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
bigjohnson
Ranger

SOCOM II advice needed

Post by bigjohnson »

My dad and I just picked up a SOCOM II and put 250 rounds through it last weekend. It was having a problem extracting, like about every six round or so. I talked to another M1A owner and he said his hasn't ever not extracted. The extractor looks okay, maybe there was still too much grease on it. It started to get a little better after 200 rounds.

Also, the guy at the shop said to grease it, but the guy I know who shoots his a lot said bullshit, just use a little CLP. I was also told that you don't want to dissassemble it during cleaning. Does that sound right?

I cleaned it up real good, and am going to put some more rounds through it, but if it keeps it up at least Springfields got the warranty. Other than not extracting it fucking fun to shoot.

When I get some more money I was also thinking about putting optics on it. I think an ACOG might work because the rail goes all the way back to just over the chamber on the SOCOM II, so the eye relief should be alright.
Bco 3/75
1998-2001
Horned Toad
Ranger

Re: SOCOM II advice needed

Post by Horned Toad »

bigjohnson wrote:My dad and I just picked up a SOCOM II and put 250 rounds through it last weekend. It was having a problem extracting, like about every six round or so. I talked to another M1A owner and he said his hasn't ever not extracted. The extractor looks okay, maybe there was still too much grease on it. It started to get a little better after 200 rounds.

Also, the guy at the shop said to grease it, but the guy I know who shoots his a lot said bullshit, just use a little CLP. I was also told that you don't want to dissassemble it during cleaning. Does that sound right?

I cleaned it up real good, and am going to put some more rounds through it, but if it keeps it up at least Springfields got the warranty. Other than not extracting it fucking fun to shoot.

When I get some more money I was also thinking about putting optics on it. I think an ACOG might work because the rail goes all the way back to just over the chamber on the SOCOM II, so the eye relief should be alright.
Certain parts need to be greased, some need to be oiled, the little roller on the bolt needs grease, get a manual and read it the you don’t have to ask folks who are going from memory like me

Taking the gun apart to clean it really applies to the older versions with a wood stock, where there was not a lot of room for bedding; I seem to remember reading that the M14 looses 70% of its mating surface between the stock and receiver compared to a M1 Garand.

With modern ammo and a bore snake I would doubt you need to take the thing apart every time you shoot, but it shouldn’t hurt it
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
another damn texan
Ranger

REALLY late follow up. I'm lazy what can I say? Springfield sent me new furniture to put on it no questions asked. Still no optics on it yet but I'm leaning towards the Aimpoint ML2 (I don't use NVD's here at the house).

Still shoots sweet but SA are really fucking proud of their magazines for it. DO NOT buy the 20 rounders Cabellas' has for sale. Total shit.
Bco 3/75 1993-1996
RS 1-95
dyks
Ranger

Re: Bought SOCOM 16

Post by dyks »

Helluva an old post but just got my hands on one of these bad boys and couldn't be happier. Mounted a 2.5x leupold scout scope on it, grouping pretty well. She's a hogslayer. Gonna bring it to the Ranch if I make it this year.

I have to agree on the ACOG opinions, I don't see the point of putting an ACOG on one of these even if the eye relief works out, no matter how much the chicks dig it.
B CO 3/75 96-98

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
colt1rgr
Ranger

Re: Bought SOCOM 16

Post by colt1rgr »

I got to shoot Andy's adopted son's out at the ranch a few months back and I must say I fell in love with the darn thing. Its sweet! Good on ya! Oh and when ya get tired of it I'd be willing to pay up half price :? :lol: 8)
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"

Return to “Weapons of War”