Ranger life and re-enlisting

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
freddytunafish

Ranger life and re-enlisting

Post by freddytunafish »

I have read everything on the internet and most books on the subject but they dont realy explain what life is like in Batt. Could someone explain it to me? I know all you guys loved it but it seems like the time spent there is never more than several years. Is everyone pretty much just burned out and ready to rest after their original enlistment time is over? Also how much time per year is spent overseas on average and what languages do you think would be the best to learn? I have been going to Berlitz since I was 15 and can speak Russian, Italian and Spanish pretty well. thanks
RangerDC

What is WRONG with YOU???

Post by RangerDC »

Look, I don't mind the inquiry but the quote you are using is stupid and has no place on a Ranger website! Is that your actual picture you are using? If so, give it up. With bitch tits like that I am not surprised by your quote.

If I have it all wrong and you just have a really bad sense of humor let me know and I will consider answering your questions.

Ranger_DC
freddytunafish

Post by freddytunafish »

I wish I had tits like that. No, it is just a horrible, horrible sense of humor that few laugh at. I'll delete it. thanks
RangerDC

Life in the a Ranger Batt.

Post by RangerDC »

Tunafish,

It would be better if you asked specific questions regarding life in the Batt. The reason I say this is that to best answer your question would take a lot of time.

The basic's are: Your entire life is centered around training. The Rangers are without a doubt the best at what they do. The reason for this is beause they train extremely hard constantly to be able to maintain the very high standards that are expected of them. The Ranger Batt.'s are not like a "regular army" unit. There are a good number of units that are rapid deployment capable, but one thing that seperates us from other units is that we are used for very specific jobs, jobs that we do better than any other unit and the only way to be ready for the call is train a lot.

I would also like to warn you that life in the Batt., especially for the lower enlisted is likely to be a shock. I can honestly say that all of my training up to the point where I arrived at 1st batt. was relatively easy. Being a ranger was the hard part, not getting there. This is also the big difference between being a Ranger School grad and being an Army Ranger. If you are not in the Ranger Regiment than after Ranger school the hard part is over, but in the Ranger Regiment the scroll we wear on our shoulder represents a way of life, the coveted black and gold tab is just a school. I say coveted because it is by far the toughest combat leadership course the U.S. military has to offer.

I have to admit that with all of the hard work came much reward, fun, pride and freinds that you won't find anywhere else. Serving in the Ranger Regiment qualifies you for membership into the greatest fraternity around.

The average age of an Army Ranger is 19. I can't say really why guys don't stay in longer but here re some thoughts...
1) The training is really tough on the body and despite what most Rangers will admit some may just need a change because they have abused themselves so bad.
2) There are less slots for NCO and commissioned leaders. Some may have to leave for a while to get into the leadership slot they need or want.
3) If you are married the Ranger life is probably much more demanding, so there may be reasons there.
4) Some guys may get burnt out or they are ready for a different pace and enviornment, like SF...hence your other posting.
5) I think a lot of guys get out of the Army altogether, to pursue other interests.

As far as time over seas is concerned the amount is minimal unless you are deployed for combat. Rangers do train all over the world but are stationed only in the U.S.

As far as language goes that would be a better question if you are looking into SF, and that will depend on the group you are assigned to and the needs of the Army.

Hope this helps. If not let me know what your questions are. By the way you don't have to change your picture on my account I just wanted some clarification on who was asking this question.

Ranger_DC
Sua Sponte
freddytunafish

Post by freddytunafish »

That was alot of help. thanks
Earthpig
Ranger

Battalion life

Post by Earthpig »

Tuna-

Ranger_DC gave you a very good, well-rounded account of life in Battalion. I would agree that you might want to make your question more specific, if your looking to narrow it down at all.

As Ranger stated, there are only three Ranger Bats and they are all stateside...Two are in Georgia and one is in Washington State.

I was stationed in Ft. Lewis, WA (2nd Bat). Our battalion area was fenced off with a high privacy fence, allowing no one to view what we did inside. Upon entering the fenced area, you found yourself in an obviously elite AO. You won't see anyone in that area walking around with sunglasses on, or out of uniform (assuming they're not off duty). It is a crisp, orderly, squared away area...and so is everyone inside.

Training, as Ranger said, is rigorous, constant, and unforgiving. I can honestly say that I never experienced hot chow (including heated MREs) in the field, never unrolled a sleeping bag or tent, rarely slept in the field (and when we did, it was a catnap, leaning against your ruck in a seated position, with 50% security).

I recall coming home to my wife one time, after 2 weeks in the field. I was FAMISHED. Before I even kissed her hello, I asked her to order the biggest pizza with everything that she could have delivered. I was out cold, still dressed in my filthy BDUs before the pizza ever came. I woke up the next evening, my pizza still on the table, unopenned.

There is a just reward, however, for all of the gruelling work....you get to live and work with the best guys in the world. They really do make up an awesome fraternity, and the bonds made in Battalion are often lifelong.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
rangerbatt
Ranger

Life in Batt

Post by rangerbatt »

Dittos on what was said by others. It's a Spartan life. You do it or you don't. No U turns. Have a good one.

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”