Viability of taking 18X enlistment path to obtain RASP Slot

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Kamber
Paratrooper

Viability of taking 18X enlistment path to obtain RASP Slot

Post by Kamber »

Greetings Rangers,

I normally lurk on these forums, as most any question I've ever had has been answered in a post somewhere. However, I don't believe I've read anything about this particular subject and would greatly appreciate a second opinion other than that of my recruiter's. I've tried using multiple search parameters and have unfortunately turned up nothing relevant.

I know this appears to be my first post on the forum; my previously posted introduction seems to have been lost, probably during the "server hiccups". I've posted another, and it is currently pending moderator review before becoming visible I believe. Here is a link to a Google cached version of my original introduction

I am currently an Army Applicant, seeking to enlist as an 11X /w Option 40 or Option 4. Today, I was at my recruiters office getting fingerprinted and filling out family/education/character references paperwork. While I was there, my recruiter informed me that he's been calling the ROC a couple times every week and still no luck with obtaining an Option 40 or even an Option 4 contract. I'm not surprised, as from what I've been reading in recent months, this is just the way it's been. I've already decided that I will not sign on the dotted line with anything less than an Option 4 in my contract, with the intent of proving myself through performance during OSUT and Jump School of my worth for a RASP slot. I'm willing to forgo the guarantee of a RASP slot that the Option 40 comes with in order to do it the "old way", because of 2 reasons. The first being that they're just so few and far in between, and the second being that I don't see it as a compromise; if I cannot prove myself worthy of a RASP slot through aptitude and PT during OSUT/Airborne, then I wouldn't rightly deserve the slot in the first place and probably wouldn't make it all the way through the pipeline anyway.

For the past few visits, my recruiter has been constantly trying to get me to sway to go for 18X, citing all the great stuff that comes with going SF, including an easy guarantee for Jump School, going in as an E3, cool beards, etc. I respectfully declined and told him each time that I have my heart set on doing everything I possibly can to make it to the 75th Ranger Regiment, and thus would not consider 18X.

During our conversation today, he asked me to explain why, in detail, I wouldn't consider 18X at all. I told him this; I am not willing to compromise on my goal of joining the Regiment, and that I don't trust anything that isn't given to me and guaranteed in writing in my contract. Thus, having the Option 40 is a personal must for me. The exception to that being enlisting as 11X /w Option 4; although it doesn't guarantee me a RASP slot, I know for a fact that there are people who have gotten the chance to volunteer for RASP during OSUT/Airborne School as 11X's with Option 4's so long as their performance is on par. What he responded to me with shocked me, because I had never heard of it before.

He proceeded to tell me that for my purposes, an 18X enlistment was the same as an 11X /w Option 4 enlistment; I would be able to prove myself through performance during OSUT/Airborne school and volunteer for a RASP slot. Everyone at the office got mildly frustrated with me when I told him I had never heard of that being a viable pathway to RASP and that in all honesty, I didn't want to take his word for it. I understand his position; I've been in and out of that recruiting office for 2 years now. This is the first month in which I've been there for more than just information; I'm actually seeking to enlist now. To him, in the end I'm just a number. I'd have to say, I think he's better than most recruiters who probably wouldn't even bother to call the ROC for me as often as he does and keep constantly asking if there are Option 40 or Option 4's available. He pretty much vocalized to me today that he felt like the station was wasting time with me, as what I'm looking for just isn't there and I'm not willing to take the route to Regiment that IS the "fastest/easiest" available way, in his opinion.

I asked him to detail exactly what my progression would hypothetically look like, and he pretty much told me that it could happen any of the following ways:

OSUT -> Volunteer for RASP slot during OSUT and simultaneously drop 18X/SF -> Airborne School -> RASP

OSUT -> Airborne School -> Volunteer for RASP slot during Airborne School and simultaneously drop 18X/SF -> RASP

OSUT -> Airborne School -> Drop 18X/SF after graduating Airborne School -> Become an 11B (He said all 18X drops become 11B's) -> PCS to Ft. Bragg -> Go through the chain of command, asking for a RASP slot -> RASP

Now, the first 2 out of the 3 look like exactly how it could happen for an 11B /w Option 4. I was very skeptical the whole time we talked today, just because I feel like I would have seen it posted somewhere on these boards if it were possible.

My question is; is my recruiter bullshitting me with this information? Historically, has anyone here heard of people going in as 18X and acquiring RASP slots down the line? Does the information Ranger goon175 posted on the Regiment actively recruiting from the most qualified studs in Infantry OSUT apply to those holding an 18X contract as well? I was originally planning on just waiting until an Option 4 or Option 40 became available, however long it took, but if what my recruiter is saying is true, i'd gladly take 18X. If not, I'll continue working with him until he is no longer willing to take time to work with me to obtain the contract I want. Should that happen, I'll just have to find a new recruiter, but I will never compromise and NEVER quit.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER
goon175
Ranger

Re: Viability of taking 18X enlistment path to obtain RASP S

Post by goon175 »

I personally cannot speak to the effectiveness of taking 18x and dropping it enroute to obtaining a RASP slot, although I would warn against it for the same reason that I would not want someone to take an opt. 40 with the intention of dropping it for an SFAS slot: It's wasting a slot of someone else that may really want it!

That being said, I would take a regular 11x over an 18x. The Ranger liason does a brief every week at 30th AG to all incoming 11x's, giving out his contact info for everyone who is qualified to get a RASP slot.

If you want to wait it out, by all means do so, it is my belief that although there are no opt. 40 slots right now, there will be some at some point, whether it is 1 month from now or 1 year from now. Personally, I would rather get on with my life and get after it than sit around waiting. But that's just me.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Well, there you have it. Earn this.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

To go along with what has already been said-- it really boils down to whether you want to start getting paid now, or later down the road when you finally raise your right hand. There are a dozen other guys waiting in the wings to try it the hard way. Hell, I didn't even know what an Airborne Ranger was until the recruiter showed up at AIT. The only reason I volunteered is because I knew that if I stayed around the shitbags surrounding me I might become like them. It's possible to get there without a contract, and advice telling hopefuls to get it in writing is to prevent them from getting screwed over. If there is no contract, then you're gonna have to do it the old fashioned way.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
Kamber
Paratrooper

Post by Kamber »

Thank you for your insightful advice, Ranger goon175, it is much appreciated.

Roger, Ranger Jim & Ranger GoldCoast.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Return to “Recruitment Process”