Intro Phil

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Papa84
Future Soldier / Opt40

Intro Phil

Post by Papa84 »

Hello Rangers -

My name is Phil and I am 26 years old. I am a college grad with a BA in Sociology who, a couple years ago, found himself caught at a crossroads between grad school and pursuing a lifelong dream. Needless to say, I chose the latter. After some time working with my recruiter I finally signed an 11x Opt 40 contract last week. I cannot begin to explain how humbled I am just to be presented with such an opportunity, but am also well aware that this is only the beginning of a long and demanding path. I fully understand that being a member of this website is a privilege and that the information discussed and presented to me by current/former Rangers reflects a plethora of hard work and achievements, and for that I thank all of you in advance. I've spent some time researching/scouring this site for some time, refraining from posting anything as one mustn't open their mouth until it is truly necessary. However, now in possession of my contract, I feel as if it is appropriate to properly introduce myself and welcome any and all advice pertinent to my future endeavors.

Thank you for making this website/forum possible, as I plan on using it to the fullest throughout my maturation into a Ranger.

Phil

My current PT scores:

PU - 79
SU - 64
Pull ups - 9
2 mile run - 12:44
Ship date 20120207
Mentor: HakweeRgr
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Intro Phil

Post by Jim »

Phil,
A man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression; and you made a strong one. Obviously, you have put some effort into your introduction, As I have said many times, ir you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. Tell us a little more. Where did you go to school? What made you choose Ranger? Do you have any mentors / men you admire? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Papa84
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Papa84 »

Rangers Jim & ZoneIV - thank you very much. Rest assured that your advice carries much weight and that I will approach it with the utmost maturity and sincerity.

Ranger Jim - I received my bachelor's degree from Geneseo State University (Rochester, NY). For the past year and a half I have been fulfilling the prerequisites to begin graduate level study in Clinical/Social Psychology. This was done at Colorado Mountain College - Breckenridge Campus, as I was a resident of Colorado for the past four and a half years (I am now back in upstate New York as of this summer). Throughout high school and college I played lacrosse, and with that said, I would consider my coaches/teachers as being the most influential figures regarding my overall character development. Naturally, my parents have instilled in me many of the qualities that I consider to be at the core of a well-rounded, conscious minded, and general law abiding (my father's background in law enforcement helped with this) citizen, and to them I owe quite a lot for the opportunities they afforded me.

As for mentors, at least ones relevant to my recent military commitment, I have none. My grandfathers both served in the Army, one in WWII and the other in Korea, but they have since passed away. Most, if not all, of my current knowledge base that helped me in securing my Opt 40 contract, as well as the wealth of knowledge that will prepare me for OSUT/BAC/RASP, has come directly from my own personal research and this particular forum/website. I have a lifelong friend who has just graduated from BUD/S so having him as a resource has proven, and will continue to prove, to be quite advantageous. However, this website is going to be nothing short of invaluable throughout my own journey to becoming a Ranger because the insight and advice is the best I will be able to find anywhere. The information shared here is unfiltered and straightforward, coming directly from the Rangers themselves. That, again, is why I feel so fortunate to be a member here because it will bolster my preparation immensely.

Why have I chosen to pursue a spot in the 75th Ranger Regiment? Far too many people would foolishly respond with reasons relative to the activities associated with Ranger operations; in my opinion, you can achieve these things through other means. You can jump out of a plane, shoot guns, and achieve physical prowess as a civilian - you don't have to join the military to do any of these. In my opinion, there is nothing more honorable and admirable than serving one's country for the right reasons, and military service has been something I have aspired to do since childhood. For me, it is the type of character, the individual who has earned the title 'Army Ranger', that I strive to be. I want the sense of family and brotherhood that comes with being a member of the elite, being one of the select few who are chosen to fulfill tasks that many others cannot. I am quite familiar with the dynamics of being a part of something bigger than myself and putting the needs of the group before those of my own, so operating in a group setting is something I not only have experience with but also enjoy. There is an immeasurable amount of trust that develops between a group when all members have endured the same hardships together, and that trust is something that is hard to replicate. I want that. I have chosen to enter the military not for the rush or excitement, but rather as a career path. For me, earning the tan beret and scroll is something that will resonate throughout my lifetime, as I intend to maintain a career in the military/government well afterward. I consider myself a very calculated and meticulous person, someone who places much emphasis on precision and professionalism. The Rangers, to me, embody all of these (and then some). I refuse to settle for mediocrity in the face of challenges or risks, and that 'NEVER QUIT' attitude is something I try to incorporate in everything I do.

This decision I have made is not for the bragging rights nor the paycheck; I want to join the Ranger history and legacy for the principles and values they have for so long stood for, and continue to live by to this day. This opportunity wasn't just handed to me, so it is only fair that I treat it with the respect and humility that it deserves.

Thank you again, Rangers, for welcoming me to the site.
Ship date 20120207
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Phil.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Phil, I think you are going to do all right.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Welcome Phil! I wish you the best of luck Brother!
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Post by PerryB »

Phil, Welcome and I look forward to reading more of your posts. I am very new to this site and wish I had known about it as my son prepared to leave for training. One thing he did that really motivated him and put him in the right frame of mind was reading the book Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. Yes, It is about a Navy Seal but very motivating and he was later on rescued by Rangers.
Best of Luck to you in preparing and never ever quit.

Perry
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com. I appreciate your willingness to serve our great country! If you will look, listen and pay attention to detail, you can learn a great deal here.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Phil, please read and heed the ROE PM that I just sent you.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome Papa84.

PM inbound.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Papa84
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Papa84 »

Rangers CharlieRanger1FFV, Jim, colt1rgr, Ranger Ron, & Steadfast - thank you very much. Your guidance and wisdom is second to none, and with that I am confident that any and all information I can accumulate here on this website will benefit me exponentially in the long run.

Perry - thank you as well. I'll put that book on my list, as I am quite familiar with the tragic event that it recounts and would appreciate hearing it from a firsthand perspective. I will be sure to keep this website as up to date as possible regarding any developments pertaining to my enlistment, and I also wish your son the best.

Every day is an opportunity for one to better his/herself, whether it be physically, mentally, or emotionally. I approach each day with this mindset, incorporating the Ranger philosophies and values to the fullest. As such, each day that passes brings me that much closer to my ultimate goal(s). I exercise my body as well as my mind, maintaining a strong focus on what it is I want to achieve. Although I may not get to my computer or this website every single day, its impact still resonates in me as I understand the immense knowledge and experience that circulates throughout the forums. My membership here is absolutely going to be an integral component to my development into a Ranger, and again I thank all of you for that.
Ship date 20120207

Return to “Introduction Archive”