Introduction-Randy

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

brewerrs
US Army

Introduction-Randy

Post by brewerrs »

Hey whats up everybody? I couldn't find a category to fit me because I'm already in the Army but not a ranger. Anyways I am a newly commissioned 2LT (22 years old) and currently in OD BOLC and graduating 3MAY. I am looking at getting a slot to attempt Ranger School. I have a few concerns however because I am pretty small. I am 5'10 and between 140-145 pounds on a good day. Here are my results from my last PT test in mid Feb:

PU: 76
SU: 80
2 mile: 12:52

I am a decent runner and pretty good at situps, however my upper body is my weak point. I am not too good at pushups. I can only do between 6-8 good pull ups as of right now.

I want to go to Ranger school and I think I can pretty much get the slot in my OD BOLC class but like I said I am rather small and I feel like the heavy ruck and the long movements may break me and I am not sure if I would even last.

I am currently focusing my workouts on building upper body strength such as bench press, lat pull downs, pushups, pull ups, etc. I am also doing ruck marches once or twice a week adding 2 miles each week with about 50 pounds in my ruck. I am running twice a week anywhere between 3-6 miles. I am looking at going to the late April class so I only have about 6 weeks to get in good shape. Not sure if this is even possible given my body structure. Any thoughts, ideas, tips, prayers?

Thanks and thanks to all of those who have made in through RS and served in the varying Ranger BATs.

Randy
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: Introduction-Randy

Post by K.Ingraham »

A newly commisioned 2LT might arguably be considered a 'future soldier', but the 'Rangers & Veterans' forum is where you should've posted. As the header there reads:
"If you are a Ranger or are serving or have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info"

I was taller & skinnier than you went I went & managed just fine, in fact I actually gained weight. If those are honest PT scores, then your only real concern is if you have the determination for it and can learn fast enough.

Welcome to the site LT. Pull on some high boots because when the rest of the predators realize that there's a cherry in here, it'll get deep fast! :P
Last edited by Steadfast on March 14th, 2011, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: bold adjusted
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
brewerrs
US Army

Re: Introduction-Randy

Post by brewerrs »

had a ranger pre-test pft today. I have a lot of work left to do.

pushups: 60 (had about 10-15 counted off)
situps: 82 (all counted)
5 mile: 36:10
pullups: 6 (could have done about 2 more)

still work to be done.

Return to “Introduction Archive”