Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Bem
Egg

Introduction

Post by Bem »

Hello Rangers,
I am 17 years old and signed an 11X contract yesterday and ship 20110405. I have wanted to be a Ranger since I began looking into the military about a year and a half ago, and have been reading this site for about a year now. I made a 82 on the A.S.V.A.B. and a 124 on the GT.

Physically I am on the smaller side at 5'5" and 120lbs soaking wet. I am currently averaging 50-60 push-ups and 70 sit-ups, I have not been able to time myself on a 2 mile run as where I run is on a somewhat steep hill. I have no excuses and I realize that these numbers are no where near good enough but I Will be maxing out the A.P.F.T. by time I ship to basic. I do have glasses but my eyes are correctable to 20/20 and other than that I got all 1's on my P.H.U.L.E.s.

I was really hoping for an Opt. 4 or 40 but none were available. My recruiter and the recruiters at M.E.P.S. told me that I would have a better chance getting Airborne and R.A.S.P. by enlisting now and volunteering in basic rather than trying to wait it out, and now I'm not entirely sure how sound that advice was, but it was the only advice I had at the time. Right now the only worry I have is getting into Airborne and R.A.S.P. When (if) I get in I have absolutely no doubt that I will make it through and they might as well hand me that Scroll the first day because it is so ingrained into my body to become a Ranger that if I died half-way through R.A.S.P. my cold dead body would get up and finish. Right now it is my main and only goal in life and I hope to God I didn't screw up it all up by listening to my recruiters and signing straight 11X. My recruiter (again) said that was a chance to re-negotiate my contract but in but I realize in reality the chances are slim to none. My plan now is to work as hard as I can and then some and hope that I am given an opportunity at basic. Once/if I am given that opportunity God himself would have fight to stop me.

Two last things:

If anyone has to tell me not to quit I obviously have not made myself clear.

I would be honored if you Rangers would tell me to do some some push-ups, or use your imagination.
Ship-date: 20110405
Elguapo
Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by Elguapo »

Don't quit. And take a nap while you're at it. You seem all worked up.
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
Bem
Egg

Post by Bem »

Ranger Lunch,
I live 10-15 minutes south of Knoxville, though it's actually Blount County.
Bem
Egg

Post by Bem »

Lunch wrote:Roger that Bem. Pretty country; spent a couple years in Greeneville.

You using your steep hill to your advantage for training, or are you not running because of the steep hill? I'm sure there are HS and/or college tracks within a reasonable distance that could be available to you. You following any of the mentoring advice here to improve your PT scores?

And btw: God told me to tell you not to try him. I'd listen...my experience has been that he fights dirty.
Ranger Lunch,
I have been running on the hill, it just makes it harder to get an accurate 2 mile time. I should be running down at my recruiting station starting next week, and I'm a fairly decent runner so I'm not too worried. As for my other PT scores I have been using all the advice here to my advantage. I've started to plateau on my push-ups a little but I'll have that fixed soon enough. I can do all the sit-ups I want, I'm just trying to fit them into those 2 minutes.

Also, that's good advice Sir, I probably got a little too carried away and in over my head.

Ranger Tater Nuts,
Chances are I've been within a mile of you. If you know where Green Acres Flee Market off of Alcoa highway is, I'm in that area, And Just graduated from Heritage HS in December.
Jgang
US Army Veteran

Post by Jgang »

Eat, train, eat, read, eat, train, and rest when you can. When I say eat, make it healthy. Train to your fullest potential and train some more. You must mix it up. Change routines regularly. Your body adjusts and becomes used to the same old thing. Ranger Lunch is right about a partner. Unless forced, we all perform better at two or more. Good luck and God Bless
25th ID 1988-1989
Harmony Church 1987

Return to “Introduction Archive”