Introduction- Luke

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

68Wrunner
Future Soldier

Introduction- Luke

Post by 68Wrunner »

Hello Rangers,
My name is Luke, I'm 18, and I enlisted in the PA National Guard as a medic about a month ago. A little bit of background, I come from a military family and have an Uncle who is a tabbed Ranger. I was accepted to West Point and was pressured by my parents to go, but I wanted to enlist so I resigned my appointment during CBT. I enlisted a couple months after I resigned and ship for basic training on March 8th. I hope to gain experience in the regular Army before I make any plans for a career. However, I have a great respect for Rangers and all members of Special Operations community and once I gain more experience I hope to join that community in some capacity. Although ever since I was a little kid I have always wanted to be a Ranger and no matter what I decide to do in the military I do want to attend (and hopefully graduate) Ranger School.

I mostly plan on reading and not posting while I'm here. If any Ranger or veteran has any advice it is always appreciated.
Basic at Ft. Benning: March 8th, 2010
AIT at Ft. Sam Houston: May 25th, 2010
PA ARNG 3/103rd Armor
Elguapo
Ranger

Re: Introduction- Luke

Post by Elguapo »

So you gave up West Point to join the Guard and be enlisted with the goal of going to an Army school that you would have a great chance of getting when you finished West Point?
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Well, young man, a man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. So far, it looks like you are about to kick the old hornet's nest. Actually, as a medic in the 28th ID you will have lots of opportunity to deploy. So far, both 2d and 56th Brigades have been deployed to Iraq and 2d has recently been alerted for a second deployment. Where do you live? Have you already enrolled in college? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
68Wrunner
Future Soldier

Post by 68Wrunner »

Ranger Elguapo I suppose the answer to your question would be yes. I decided that I did not want to become an officer, at least not yet. I can always get a degree paid for by the Army and go to OCS at a later date if I decide I want to go that route.

Ranger Jim I live near Harrisburg, PA and I have not enrolled in college yet. The reason I enlisted into the Guard for the unit that I did was for the likelihood of deployment that you were talking about. That is one reason I haven't enrolled in college yet, I was hoping to deploy and then decide if I want to go to college or switch to active duty. I can get the Guard to pay for all of my college depending on the college I go to but as soon as I accept money from them I'm locked into the Guard for another 6 years. So I didn't want to deploy and then decide that I want to go active duty but be locked into the Guard for however many more years.
PA ARNG 3/103rd Armor
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

68Wrunner wrote:Ranger Jim I live near Harrisburg, PA and I have not enrolled in college yet. The reason I enlisted into the Guard for the unit that I did was for the likelihood of deployment that you were talking about. That is one reason I haven't enrolled in college yet, I was hoping to deploy and then decide if I want to go to college or switch to active duty. I can get the Guard to pay for all of my college depending on the college I go to but as soon as I accept money from them I'm locked into the Guard for another 6 years. So I didn't want to deploy and then decide that I want to go active duty but be locked into the Guard for however many more years.
OK, very good logic. Refreshing to see someone who actually did some homework, rather than just show up here and start blowing smoke. Let me know if you need a point of contact in the PAARNG. Never, never quit
Elguapo
Ranger

Post by Elguapo »

Well, at least you made an educated decision. What I would do is not necessarily what's best for you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with passing up college for a year to deploy. It's too bad more dudes your age don't feel that way.

However, I will tell you this. If you're going to be in the Guard, use everything you can get to go to school. Finish it up asap. It's quite the opportunity you get for free or nearly free school. Do it while you can. Good luck.
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
68Wrunner
Future Soldier

Post by 68Wrunner »

Thank you Ranger Jim I will remember that should the need arise.

Thank you for the advice Ranger Elguapo. I have gotten that same advice from several other members of the military so I am definitely taking it into consideration.
PA ARNG 3/103rd Armor
MarineRanger
Ranger

Post by MarineRanger »

The Marines offered me OCS while I was in boot camp. I turned it down.
Too much politics in the Officer ranks for me.

If I had stayed in, I might have attempted to become a Chief Warrant Officer someday.
USMC 77-81
STA 2/9 3rd
Fox 2/9 3rd
RS 8-80 (5-4)

Return to “Introduction Archive”