MEDIC/DOC Question

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

C-MAC
USAF Veteran

MEDIC/DOC Question

Post by C-MAC »

Ok so I am fairly sure I tore a calf muscle near the superficial/gastrocnemius. It exhibits all the classic symptoms including the "pop" when it tore, swelling, subdermal hemotoma (it's a nice color), swelling, etc. I am hoping at this point, it's only a Class II and will just take some time to heal without intervention. This is all self diagnosis, I don't really care for doctors and would rather hear from a medic.

Any advice on how to rehab/treat would be appreciated.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
Nugget
Ranger

Re: MEDIC/DOC Question

Post by Nugget »

RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation)is your best bet, as long as you can bear weight on it. If you can't walk on it, you should go see a physician. Otherwise, stay off of it, ice it 20 minutes on then 20 minutes off as long as you can. Wrap it with an ace bandage and elevate it. I like Motrin, take 800mg after a meal every 4-6 hrs. Some other NSAIDs might work better for you i.e. Advil, Nuprin, Aleve or Naprosyn, each one works differently on each person, everybody's body is different.
A Co 1/75 1996-2000
Class 9-98

"I'm not the best medic, but I'm YOUR medic"
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Re: MEDIC/DOC Question

Post by C-MAC »

Nugget wrote:RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation)is your best bet, as long as you can bear weight on it. If you can't walk on it, you should go see a physician. Otherwise, stay off of it, ice it 20 minutes on then 20 minutes off as long as you can. Wrap it with an ace bandage and elevate it. I like Motrin, take 800mg after a meal every 4-6 hrs. Some other NSAIDs might work better for you i.e. Advil, Nuprin, Aleve or Naprosyn, each one works differently on each person, everybody's body is different.
Awesome and thanks; following this to the letter. Foot is on the desk and Advil is going down with a hot cup of coffee for starters.

BTW I received some other suggestions via email from "friends", although I am not certain how "helpful" they are. I will list them by branch in honor of Veterans Day.

1- Jack Daniels. Rinse. Repeat. (Marines)
2- Shoot yourself in the opposite leg. It will ease the pain from the other one. Wuss. (Army, oddly- old-timer/medic)
3- Go on 5 mile ruck with 50lb pack in a wilderness area with no communication devices. About mile 2 you will realize if you fall down, nobody is coming to get you. All of a sudden the pain isn't that bad and by mile 5 you are cured.(Army artillery officer).

With friends like these....
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver

Return to “The Mosh Pit”