Auto Ordinance M1 Carbine

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
colt1rgr
Ranger

Re: Auto Ordinance M1 Carbine

Post by colt1rgr »

mortar_guy78 wrote:I'm not looking for a full-size battle rifle. The way I figure, if I want to shoot something that far away a bolt action or a single shot, breech-loading hunting rifle (see original post about the NEF Handi-Rifle) will do fine. If the SHTF, I don't think I'll be looking at facing off against too many long range marksmen. Hell, I know civilians who consider themselves good shots who can't hit anything beyond 100 meters or so (which always makes me laugh). AR variants don't really do it for me, and the AK is great but from my experience the accuracy is for shit. I'd like to get an M-14 variant, but there are budget concerns at the moment, so I think I can make do with the M1 for now. Besides, I like it. Then again, I haven't tried to fire it when it has frozen.
For what its worth, if a M-14 is your dream rifle (mine too! :wink: ) and its just a tad bit too high at this time I will tell you what I did. I bought a SAIGA rifle in .308, got the one with the long barrell. It comes with an 8 rd magazine but you can now buy 10 and 20 rounders for it. Damn thing is very accurate right out of the box and will shoot and shoot (after all its an AK action. Few after market goodies and its quite a good shooter and makes the local range weanies come running when I uncase it.

As for the M1 Carbine. Good friend of mine was a 18 year old Marine on Okinawa in WWII. As the assistant boozoka (i.e; round humper) he was issued a M1 Carbine. After hearing all the horror stories from older grunts he chucked his soon as he hit the beach and as we use to sing cadence to "Picked up a M1 from amongst the dead". Said he loved the M1 but it was the biggest mistake he ever made cause the carbine was "great in close quarters" and he lamented many times about wishing he had it. As for the knock down keep 'em down aspect he said there were mixed reviews. FWIW.
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Re: Auto Ordinance M1 Carbine

Post by mortar_guy78 »

I've compared the ballistics, and the .30 Carbine round actually has better ballistics than a .357 Mag. I know a bunch of dudes that hunt deer with .357 carbines, and we all know how a .357 performs againt a human body, so I figure I'm doing pretty good.

I looked at the Saiga, and I'd probably prefer the shorter barrel. I wonder if they make a wood stock for the 16" model? I generally prefer wood to synthetic. You never know when a good buttstroke to the head might come in handy. :D
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Return to “Weapons of War”