Intro - "Smalls"

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

HooahParatrooper
US Army

Intro - "Smalls"

Post by HooahParatrooper »

Dear Rangers,

my name is PFC “Smalls”. i am a 19 year-old soldier with the 1st brigade combat team 504th parachute infantry regiment, 82nd airborne division. as of right now, we’re stationed somewhere in iraq, and we’ll be coming home some time in the future.

i was raised in a small town about 40 minutes outside of st. louis, missouri in april of ‘91. i ran cross country and track in high school, i loved swimming, and drinking and smoking weed were usually on the “let’s do this fucking shit” list for my weekends. i had a fun time for the first 18 years of my life.

i decided to join the army on september 11, 2001. i was in 5th grade. although i didn’t understand what my teacher meant when he said america had been “attacked,” it became pretty clear when my dad got home and turned on the news. when i asked him what happened, he only told me that bad people wanted to hurt us because of what we have, and that me and my future children are in for a long ride. once again, i was confused, but it took about 2 minutes looking at the burning buildings and the people jumping from them to realize what i had to do.

in high school, i joined a marine corp JROTC. it taught me a lot about the military and discipline, but a family history of soldiers weighed on my shoulders, and i couldn’t bring myself to join the marines. i was “a little PT stud,” as my instructor put it, and i kept it that way the entire time i was in. and yes, it felt good to be fit and representing the army when there were only pepperoni-faced fat-bodies talking mad shit for the marines.

i left for basic on 10 june 2009. after graduating on 25 september, i went to airborne school and earned my wings. then i went to bragg to join the 1 BCT. since i got fucked out of every possible leave opening there was, i haven’t been home for more than a year. that sucks, but i’ve done a bit of growing since then. and “a bit” is a special way of saying “a lot.”

i was immediately disappointed in how little pride the soldiers of my unit had when it came to the 82nd. this disappointment was followed by a desire to go to special forces selection, which was then followed by a want to get my Ranger tab before selection. it took me picking up the Ranger handbook to realize what was in front of me the entire time. i need tradition, i need pride in what i do, and i need those who are around me to be equally, if not more proud, of what they do and how they do it. if there was ever such a thing as tradition or prestige, then the Rangers are the epitome of those, and they’ve proved it time and time again throughout america’s violent history. i need to be a part of that.

i’ve already started the paperwork for Ranger school, and i’m going to request RASP soon after. i’m shooting for the stars, but i’d rather try and fail epically then not try at all. either way, i’m honored and privileged to be talking to real Rangers, and not some RIP baby who talks shit on them because he didn’t have the intestinal fortitude to get in. thanks for all you guys do. you’ve got at least 1 fan in the 82nd.

regards,

PFC smalls
Before Marines go to bed at night, they look under their beds for Rangers.
Bravo57
Ranger

Re: Intro - "Smalls"

Post by Bravo57 »

Welcome to the site. I've moved you intro to the proper forum, as you are currently serving.

Please send me a private message with what you would like your name to be changed to. Since you aspire to be a Ranger, but are not there yet, we cannot allow you to have "Ranger" in your User name.

Thank you for your service to this great Nation.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com and thanks for your service to out great country!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

April '91? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Welcome aboard and thank you for serving in these "interesting" times. This forum is an amazing resource, hopefully it will benefit you in your endeavors.

As for failing epicly, join the SEALs. :twisted: The motto around here is Never Quit.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

If I could get to RIP from 3rd ID in '99 just by hounding people with 4187s (I didn't even have to re-enlist), you can get there from the eightydouche. Keep your spirits up and never quit.

Welcome and thanks for your service.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

Welcome Younster. Thank you for your service to our country. Keep interested in your career, wherever it may take you and always strive to be the very best you can be. I wish you well in pursuing your goals. Never Quit.
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome and thank you for your service.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Welcome young stud and "thank you for your service to our great nation!".
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome and best of luck to you in achieving your goals.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
JustARetiredCommando
Ranger

Post by JustARetiredCommando »

Welcome aboard.
"Re-up, Re-up You're Crazy!"
<Insert 201 File>
B Co. 2/75 79-83
10th SFG(A) 83-86
HooahParatrooper
US Army

Post by HooahParatrooper »

Zonk 1/75 wrote:
garyedolan wrote:Keep interested in your career, wherever it may take you and always strive to be the very best you can be.
Be good at what you do wherever you are.

Goodluck and thanks for your service
i personally wanted to give kudos for the original black beret. i haven't seen a legitimate black one since my dad's buddy (vietnam ranger veteran, slightly insane, earned the purple heart via sniper shot to the chest) came over for a random visit.

rick: "HEY BUDDY, YOU WANNA SEE THE COOLEST PIECE OF HEADWEAR YOU'LL EVER FUCKIN' LAY YOUR LITTLE HANDS ON?!?!"
*small's dad starts laughing hysterically*
baby smalls: "like a hat?"
rick: "EXACTLY! PUT IT ON BROTHER! LET'S SEE YOUR KILLIN' FACE!!"

and that's when i fell in love with the Rangers.

oh, and i realize that many Rangers on here probably have the real black beret, but Zonk has a picture of it up, so i'm pretty turned on by it.
Before Marines go to bed at night, they look under their beds for Rangers.
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

You know, one of the worst things about being a leg now is having to put that fucking thing on my head every day.

I was in Batt. when they announced the whole black beret thing, but I was in Italy when it was actually implemented. About a year afterwards, a buddy and his wife came over to the house. The wife looked at my Ranger plaque on the wall and said, "Why do you have a leg beret on your wall?" I told her to get the fuck out of my house or I was gonna punch her in the mouth.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Bravo57 wrote:

Please send me a private message with what you would like your name to be changed to. Since you aspire to be a Ranger, but are not there yet, we cannot allow you to have "Ranger" in your User name.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Return to “Introduction Archive”