Intro-----Trevor

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

shootingman99
Embryo

Intro-----Trevor

Post by shootingman99 »

Hello,

My name is Trevor. I have always been interested in a career in the military, particularly in the higher challenge of some sort of special ops. I had considered enlisting for quite a while, and particularly with Rangers in my intent. However my parents have pushed and pushed for me to go to college and I was awarded an army ROTC scholarship and they think that is my best option. If I go to college I want to study kineseology and health and fitness. But more and more I have been realizing that it is much harder to become a Ranger as an officer from ROTC than as an enlisted guy. And honestly in addition I am tired of school and not sure I could take college, even though I would be studying something I am much more interested in. So basically I am looking for help as to what option i should take, either take the scholarship and do college or enlist. If I enlisted I was thinking of going army infantry or 82nd airborne and after a year or so going out for rangers. Physical fitness is a passion of mine, but right now my "army" style fitness could use some improvement. I used to be around 6 foot 170, and was running a 5:14 mile, doing 96 solid nose touching the ground pushups in 2 minutes, a good amount of situps. However I have really gotten into lifting recently and it is a passion of mine, I am now 6 foot 190, so still pretty skinny but definitely bigger. My best lifts are as follows:

Bench: 235x3, 255x1
Sqaut: 290x3, 275x5 (well below parallel)
Deadlift: 360x5, 365x4
Military press: 150x5, 155x3
Barbell Row: 190x5
1 hand deadlift: 205x3 without straps, 255x3 with straps
Front squats: 225x5

My recent pt score I tested myself at was :

Pushups 2 minutes: 78
Situps 2 minutes: 68
Run time: 13:48 2 miles
Pullups: 14 deadhang

Obviously I need some big improvements here, as I want 100+ pushups 2 minutes, 100+ situps, and 2 miles in well under 12 minutes. My problem with situps is not strength, as my core is pretty strong, but speed.

However I tend to improve very quickly at pt scores, that was last saturday, 3 days before that I did the pushups and situps and got 68 and 53 respectively so I tend to improve quickly. Anyway I need to make a decision regarding the scholarship by this saturday, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has any ideas about how to balance running and lifting that would be great. I have been working out for about a year now. I'm thinking about lifting 3 days per week, running 4, and doing pullups 6 days a week, with pt on off lifting days. I also enjoy ruck marching very much, and my best time is 6 miles in 1:47:00 with 105 lbs on a 900 foot elevation gain local trail. Rucking is awesome, 100% mental, and slower paced than running so I can last quite a while. My ultimate goal is to ruck march half-dome with 50+ pounds in 4 hours, that would be pretty insane :twisted: I LOVE the outdoors so that is a big passion of mine too.

Respectfully,

Trevor
Bravo57
Ranger

Re: Intro-----Trevor

Post by Bravo57 »

Welcome to the site. Make sure to read the ROE that I sent you via Private message before you post again.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome. Your interest in Army Rangers is appreciated. If you truly want to serve as a Ranger, the route to take is an Option 40 enlistment contract. That gaurantees you a shot at RASP (Ranger Assessment and Selction Program).
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome and thank you for your desire to serve.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

shootingman99 wrote: If I enlisted I was thinking of going army infantry or 82nd airborne and after a year or so going out for rangers.
Really bad idea. DON'T DO THIS. You will not be able to just up and walk away from the 82nd after a year or two, especially if you are still a private. You will end up in the wash and be one of those NCO's down the road who says, "I should have tried when I was younger...". You will get complacent and just let RASP go to the back burner and that will be that. I've seen enough E6's and E7's tell me that exact same sob story. As Ranger ZoneIV put it...why are you so intent on being a Ranger but then going to enlist without a Ranger contract?

It's best to just pipeline through and get it done from the beginning. If you still want to be an officer, go green to gold or something and come back to RGT later in your career.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

shootingman99 wrote:I also enjoy ruck marching very much, and my best time is 6 miles in 1:47:00 with 105 lbs on a 900 foot elevation gain local trail. Rucking is awesome, 100% mental, and slower paced than running so I can last quite a while. My ultimate goal is to ruck march half-dome with 50+ pounds in 4 hours[/i], that would be pretty insane :twisted: I LOVE the outdoors so that is a big passion of mine too.

The Expert Infantry Badge standard is 12 miles in under three hours, with a 70-pound weight (includes the rifle). That is the minimum you can expect if you earn your place in the 75th Ranger Regiment. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
shootingman99
Embryo

Post by shootingman99 »

Thanks for all the replies! The reason I was considering doing 82nd or infantry first is I thought that was best option to get used the army, get get things sorted out, then have a little more experience before going out for Rangers. I would of course much prefer to go option 40, but I thought perhaps it was a better option to go infantry first. Sounds like going straight out is the best though.

Jim: I heard from a park ranger that the search and rescue team at Yosemite gets to the base of the cables at half dome in 2 hours 20 minutes, and that is 8 miles, but with a 4800 foot elevation gain. The 12 miles in under three miles with 70+ pounds is on flat terrain? I have never done a flat march before, always on a local trail with an old school back and a bunch of weights and concrete. The trail I do has a 900 foot gain in elevation over 3 miles, so it is not exactly flat. The ROTC guy I stayed with rucked 12 miles in an 1:30:00 with 60 pounds, which I would consider pretty damn good. I don't want to sound arrogant, but I'm pretty sure i could nail a 12 mile march in under 3 hours with 70+ pounds as long as it was flat terrain. However I do want to do some flat road marches to see how I stack up.

One question: Don't know if this has been asked before but just how hard is it to go rangers after ROTC?

Respectfully,

Trevor
shootingman99
Embryo

Post by shootingman99 »

JLTW!!! wrote:Trevor, I have three pieces of advice for you:

1) Utilize the search button. Just about any question you can think of has already been answered, to include your question about ROTC and Rangers

2) Re-read and heed the ROE you were sent. Specifically where it covers how you address members here on this site. You just disrespected one of our most esteemed Rangers on this board, with your last past.

3) Fuck all that "get experience, blah, blah, blah" stuff you were thinking. You can gain experience like EVERY OTHER PRIVATE DOES, at his unit. So why not learn at a Ranger Battalion instead of the 82nd or 1st Cav or something? Believe me, as Snafu said, you WILL grow to regret that decision in time.

That is my 2 pesos....ultimately, it is all on you.
Thanks a lot. I understand what you are saying about the getting experience in the Ranger regiment. It's just that I hears about all those 18 wannabe rambo's who try out for special forces selection right off and fail, just guaranteeing the army more infantry soldiers. I've decided to accept the ROTC scholarship for now, as it doesn't actually take affect till I step on the campus of the college, which I did not know. I just searched how to address members on this site, and see that I made a mistake.

Sorry Ranger Jim :oops:

Trevor
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

shootingman99 wrote:It's just that I hears about all those 18 wannabe rambo's who try out for special forces selection right off and fail, just guaranteeing the army more infantry soldiers.

This shows me you are just not getting it. Look, you can't compare 18X to 11X/option 40s. It's like apples and oranges. The two units have completely different missions. Why are you talking about going Ranger and then backing out because of what 18X failures do? That's like saying you don't want to go to college because the Denver Broncos didn't win the Super Bowl...it just doesn't make any sense. Same with the whole "gain experience" thing.

If ROTC is what you want then go for it...more power to you. If being a Ranger is what you want then sack up and quit making all these weak ass excuses.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
shootingman99
Embryo

Post by shootingman99 »

Ranger Zone IV:
You made a quote from the first post, I am not bringing up the ROTC thing anymore and will use search function from now on. I'm sorry for sounding "wishy washy," it's just that to be honest I don't know a ton about my options and wasn't sure if rangers was like 18x where many people are unprepared for it. Also, within the next week I'm going to do a 12 mile march and post my time, I'm just going to do it on the track no matter how boring it is to be sure of my distance. Should I carry 70 pounds?

Ranger Snafu:
Thanks makes since option 40 is the way to go

Trevor
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

shootingman99 wrote:I'm sorry for sounding "wishy washy," it's just that to be honest I don't know a ton about my options and wasn't sure if rangers was like 18x where many people are unprepared for it.
Yes, in that regard they are similar. It is common to have 35-50 studs quit on Day One of RASP......before they even reach the compound. It's not so much that they are unprepared, as it is they lack to total desire and intestinal fortitude to continue in their quest.

By the time they get to RASP, they have endured the boredom of OSUT, the repetition of Jump School, and have just recently been afforded some freedom to leave post, drink beer, chase girls, etc. Most guys taste that freedom, weigh it, and decide that they'd rather relax and continue those freedoms instead of kicking up the discipline and hardships a hundred notches to get to a Ranger Battalion.

It's the same with any Special Ops unit: Special Forces, Navy SEALs, Force Recon. If it was a cakewalk, everyone would be doing it. These units are called elite for a reason. It takes a very special, very motivated individual to successfully live that life. The "fun" doesn't end when you graduate RASP. SpecOps life is a hard life, and it's not for everybody.

My advice would be to thoroughly research your options. Look at the missions of the various SpecOps units, as well as those of regular units. Take a hard, deep look at yourself....beyonf your surface ego....and see if you have that desire, that dedication, and that motivation. Then, reassess your situation. \

Welcome to the site.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
shootingman99
Embryo

Post by shootingman99 »

EarthPig wrote:
shootingman99 wrote:I'm sorry for sounding "wishy washy," it's just that to be honest I don't know a ton about my options and wasn't sure if rangers was like 18x where many people are unprepared for it.
Yes, in that regard they are similar. It is common to have 35-50 studs quit on Day One of RASP......before they even reach the compound. It's not so much that they are unprepared, as it is they lack to total desire and intestinal fortitude to continue in their quest.

By the time they get to RASP, they have endured the boredom of OSUT, the repetition of Jump School, and have just recently been afforded some freedom to leave post, drink beer, chase girls, etc. Most guys taste that freedom, weigh it, and decide that they'd rather relax and continue those freedoms instead of kicking up the discipline and hardships a hundred notches to get to a Ranger Battalion.

It's the same with any Special Ops unit: Special Forces, Navy SEALs, Force Recon. If it was a cakewalk, everyone would be doing it. These units are called elite for a reason. It takes a very special, very motivated individual to successfully live that life. The "fun" doesn't end when you graduate RASP. SpecOps life is a hard life, and it's not for everybody.

My advice would be to thoroughly research your options. Look at the missions of the various SpecOps units, as well as those of regular units. Take a hard, deep look at yourself....beyonf your surface ego....and see if you have that desire, that dedication, and that motivation. Then, reassess your situation. \

Welcome to the site.

RLTW
EP
Ranger Earthpig,
Thanks great post! Since I was young I have wanted to be in some sort of special ops.
For a while it was Navy SEALs, when I was more into swimming, but now I am more interested in the rangers. I enjoy fitness and the outdoors a lot, and I feel that I would fit in well with people who have that desire and motivation, as I am pretty dedicated when it comes to things I want to do. And no I didn't get my idea to go rangers from call of duty or something like that :D

Trevor

Return to “Introduction Archive”