Does anyone here remember this fast roping incident?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Re: Does anyone here remember this fast roping incident?

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Bravo57 wrote:
RangerJurena wrote: Oh Oto..I tried this same approach in one of the first posts in this thread....

Apparently, the Palace Guard is easily confused and decided that my comments / post which included some millions of candle watts used while roping was obviously how we did things and needed to let the young cadet called Trigger know that ..yes, people get hurt while sliding down a rope during hours of limited visibility and apparently its only conducted in the 3rd Bn.
Hey...... Oh wait, I walked right passed that one.
Yes....and all of us from 1st Batt. are humbled and have our heads down looking at the ground.............................................laughing. :lol:
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Well then, If there is/was/or ever will be anything called a Fast Rope (I still claim plausible deniability)...

Tie a drunk hockey lovin' noobie on the end of it and ******** (unit deleted by poster for OPSEC purposes) can find that sumbitchin' end in a heartbeat...or so I have been told. 8) 8) 8) :roll: :roll: :roll:
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

arms crossed............hmpf

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fucking Jurena, use a smiley. :D I hate it when I miss the easy stuff. :lol: The fucking internet should talk............
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Bravo57 wrote:
Fucking Jurena, use a smiley.
Yep. he's just mad that he's not as cool as we are.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Ranger Luna wrote:
Bravo57 wrote:
Fucking Jurena, use a smiley.
Yep. he's just mad that he's not as cool as we are.
Yea...I just know he's mad about THAT. All of us stand in amazement at your Cat IV classifications.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
troll
Ranger

Post by troll »

vossman wrote:Actually, when I fast roped naked I clamped on with my butt cheeks. Screw the guy behind me I always said...

Good way to avoid getting Kiwi on the rope....
Bco 1/75
'92-'96
Rgr Class 1-95
troll
Ranger

Post by troll »

Trigger wrote: Ranger Cams,

Just a cadet looking to soak up as much information as possible. I've always thought fast roping was one of the coolest things done in the military, and meeting that (now a 2LT) who was hurt doing it had peaked my curiousity on the subject. I figured here was the right place to learn more.

I apologize if the NV thing is something that shouldn't be asked, I felt it was "discovery channel" level stuff.
- Trigger

Grabbing onto a Rope 2 feet outside a moving bird, then Sliding down a rope 50', at a 20 deg angle, with a prop blast, 60 pounds on your back, and a 60 gunner coming down after you, "cool"? Maybe hardcore but, I'd choose another adj.
Bco 1/75
'92-'96
Rgr Class 1-95
undergoodcanopy
Ranger

Post by undergoodcanopy »

I was an O/C (JRTC) on the Chinook that night that Ranger died fast roping and like 25 others were injured!
I wish I could remember the name of the plt/SGt that was on the bird I was on, becqause of him several more Rangers were not injured or killed!
during the rope he could tell something was not right, and stopped any more Rangers from going down the rope!
82nd Abn Div 2/325th A.I.R.: 89-94
JRTC TF2 (observer/controller)_94-97
RS 8-92 (LAST HARD CLASS)
JohnDowland
Ranger

Post by JohnDowland »

undergoodcanopy wrote:I was an O/C (JRTC) on the Chinook that night that Ranger died fast roping and like 25 others were injured!
I wish I could remember the name of the plt/SGt that was on the bird I was on, becqause of him several more Rangers were not injured or killed!
during the rope he could tell something was not right, and stopped any more Rangers from going down the rope!
I'm pretty sure that it was SSG Wright from 1st plt. of C co. Skinny, white, country-boy type with a somewhat protruding Adam's apple, sharp features, and blond hair (not that you could tell with a K-pot on). I wasn't on that JRTC (in pre-Ranger at the time if I recall), but heard word from a fellow FIST-mate that he was the man.
3/75 '93-'95
Operation Uphold Democracy '94
OIF '10
OEF '10/'11
USASOC Chaplain

"Let not him who girds on his armor boast as he who takes it off!" - Ahab, king of Israel
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

JohnDowland wrote:
undergoodcanopy wrote:I was an O/C (JRTC) on the Chinook that night that Ranger died fast roping and like 25 others were injured!
I'm pretty sure that it was SSG Wright from 1st plt. of C co. Skinny, white, country-boy type with a somewhat protruding Adam's apple, sharp features, and blond hair (not that you could tell with a K-pot on). I wasn't on that JRTC (in pre-Ranger at the time if I recall), but heard word from a fellow FIST-mate that he was the man.

HEHEHE you said fistmate
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
JohnDowland
Ranger

Post by JohnDowland »

Baseplate wrote:
JohnDowland wrote:

HEHEHE you said fistmate
Sheesh. I almost changed that as soon as I had finished typing it, but figured that I would leave it in there just to see who got their giggles off of thinking about gay stuff :roll:
3/75 '93-'95
Operation Uphold Democracy '94
OIF '10
OEF '10/'11
USASOC Chaplain

"Let not him who girds on his armor boast as he who takes it off!" - Ahab, king of Israel
Speedracer

Post by Speedracer »

I was covering down on a RGR platoon doing a live frie that night, when we got shut down for a dust off

Next morn we were told the guy got killed along with a few other getting hurt

The helo came in over a small open area and the team dropped there rope, back then it was a SOP to put one on the bottom so you could see if the rope was all the way down, Well the helo didnt stay in one place it backed up during the hover which put one side in the trees, the rope only went half way down, which put the kimlight seating on a limb, the guys thought it was down, they exited the helo

The ones that got hurt fell off and missed the tree limbs, the RGR that got killed, his miles got snaged on a limb

The method worked for me one night, came in over a building, dropped the stuff, then noticed one side was over the roof, made the pilot shift back over, dam glad...it was a 3 story bld

Return to “The Mosh Pit”