My introduction/ First question

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

The_Irishman
Egg

My introduction/ First question

Post by The_Irishman »

Hi my name is Patrick I’m an 18 year old college student from Ohio. I want to serve my country and I always figured if I was going to do something I should always try to be the best, whether it was sports in high school or academics. And from what I’ve read Rangers are the best and I’ll give it my best and then some to become a Ranger. I’m interested in the ROTC especially the ROTC program at Norwich University, but I also have an opportunity to attend Clark U Worcester, Ma which is a very good Liberal Arts school and has a kick ass Psychology program. The downside is it’s a very Liberal school, and I have to go a neighboring school for ROTC, and I don’t know how good the ROTC program is there. I did my research and I know Norwich has a well known and extremely good ROTC program, but I was wondering do any Cadets/ Servicemen/ Rangers have any insight what ROTC programs are like at liberal schools and what would be the better transfer to make. Ultimately it’s the service to the country that’s important, but I would like to get my education out of the way first. Sorry for any arrogance and/or disrespect I may have shown in my post.
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: My introduction/ First question

Post by Earthpig »

Welcome to the site, Irishman. I never did the ROTC gig, so I can't give you any info there.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome and thanks for your desire to serve our country. Other than the service acadamies, about the only college in the country that is not left-leaning liberal is Hillsdale. There are a couple of Rangers on this site who are ROTC instructors and can probably provide you some insight.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com and thank you for your desire to serve our great country.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
JarHedSolja
Tadpole

Post by JarHedSolja »

Ohio State has a very reputable ROTC program as does the University of Cincinnati.
1999-2001 USMC
2003-2006 1-148th INF (M)
2006-2009 585th MP Co
BMAN1/75
Ranger

Post by BMAN1/75 »

I now work at ROTC up in Cleveland so i can answer some questions for you
I like you, I'll kill you last

B1/75, A1/75,RIP,A2/75,HHC1/75,A1/75
93-08
RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

The_Irishman wrote:Hi my name is Patrick I’m an 18 year old college student from Ohio. I want to serve my country and I always figured if I was going to do something I should always try to be the best, whether it was sports in high school or academics. And from what I’ve read Rangers are the best and I’ll give it my best and then some to become a Ranger. I’m interested in the ROTC especially the ROTC program at Norwich University, but I also have an opportunity to attend Clark U Worcester, Ma which is a very good Liberal Arts school and has a kick ass Psychology program. The downside is it’s a very Liberal school, and I have to go a neighboring school for ROTC, and I don’t know how good the ROTC program is there. I did my research and I know Norwich has a well known and extremely good ROTC program, but I was wondering do any Cadets/ Servicemen/ Rangers have any insight what ROTC programs are like at liberal schools and what would be the better transfer to make. Ultimately it’s the service to the country that’s important, but I would like to get my education out of the way first. Sorry for any arrogance and/or disrespect I may have shown in my post.
I'm not trying to influence your decision but we have a fire team size element of "Future Soldiers" in our mentoring program that have some ROTC experience. Quite a few of them cashed in their chips and have enlisted with an Option 40 contract. Many of them are currently working their ass off in the "About Physical Training" Forum. Look for the daily work out thread. I'm sure they would be glad to give you their take.

There is much to be learned from this site and many of your questions can be found via the search button. Read the ROE PM I'm sending you.

Good luck in your journey.
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?
Ranger

Post by CardiacKid »

I'm an ROTC grad and the only constant about ROTC programs is that what was good a few years ago may not necessarily be as good anymore and vice versa. My school (it's already been mentioned here in this thread) used to be stacked with outstanding cadre members. Leaders and warfighters that embodied every word of the Ranger Creed. The type that would drip more knowledge in a bead of sweat while they PT'd with you than you could expect to learn in a career. Unfortunately, most of them have moved on or will be moving on here shortly and they've left some awfully big boots to fill by some others that really aren't up to the task.
If ROTC is a big consideration for your college choice, you definitely have to go and visit each campus and speak with the cadre. If you show up one morning and they're all standing around in their PTs eating donuts and drinking coffee without even a hint of exercise in the air, you're probably going to get the bare bones basics from the textbooks. (I'm just waiting to for an NCO to chime in here about this being perfect training for officers :) )In other words, it's going to be difficult to learn about "be, know, do" leadership from people who aren't setting and maintaining the standards themselves. On the other hand, if you show up and see professional, physically fit, soldiers that are still striving to set the example, you can most likely bet that you're going to receive pretty good training and guidance from them.

Personally, I lucked the hell out with one of the instructors I had back in ROTC. He is a retired 1SG with 23 years in Ranger, airborne, and light infantry units and hands down the most professional soldier I have ever met. He worked for the ROTC department as a civilian contracted instructor and put more effort into that program than handfuls of other instructors combined. I sponged every bit of knowledge I could from that man during the 2 years I got to spend learning from him and continue to seek his advice to this day (I've been out in Big Army for almost a couple of years now). Should you choose to do the ROTC option, I hope you will be as lucky as I was to have someone like him as a mentor.
MCCC/SFDOQC (2011-present)
2-502 IN (2008-2011)
RS Class 8-08
The_Irishman
Egg

Post by The_Irishman »

RangerJurena thanks for the advice, and I know ROTC is the right path for me. And thank you Ranger CardiacKid for the advice, ROTC is a big factor in my decision and from what I herd Norwich is one of the top schools to attend for ROTC. While in ROTC I would like to volunteer for basic training, because I think it would be good experience and opportunity to prepare to be an officer and Ranger.
Ranger Andy
Ranger

Post by Ranger Andy »

The_Irishman wrote:While in ROTC I would like to volunteer for basic training, because I think it would be good experience and opportunity to prepare to be an officer and Ranger.
Good luck with your ROTC program! During one of your summer training periods, be sure to sign up for jump school...
Ranger Class 6-73 & 7-73
C Company, 75th Infantry (Ranger)
The Ranger Department (City Team)

I Hope They Serve Cold Beer in Hell...
CardiacKid
Ranger

Post by CardiacKid »

Irishman: Going to basic training is usually the path for cadets wanting to enroll in the Simultaneous Membership Program with the National Guard or Army Reserves. There are some great additional benefits you can obtain by doing so . I have been out of the ROTC admissions/recruiting area for a little over a year now and I know some policies have most likely changed, so your best bet is to talk to a recruiter from the respective component (Guard or Reserve). The ROTC program you choose to enroll in should also have a Guard or Reserve liaison or at least be in good contact with a recruiter that can provide you all of the information about the SMP.

And as Ranger Andy said, definitely shoot for any training opportunities you can during the summer months. Knocking out schools like Airborne will save you time when you go back to Fort Benning for your additional infantry officer courses (you do want to be an infantry officer right? :) ) and that will get you to Ranger School and your unit a month faster.
MCCC/SFDOQC (2011-present)
2-502 IN (2008-2011)
RS Class 8-08
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Well, Pat, there are endless possible answers. For some of us, enlisting, serving several years and going to OCS was the answer. Others did ROTC or USMA. There are trade-offs for each. Serving your country is key and critical to all that we do. Please take a moment and read the Ranger Creed and think about all it stands for. It remains central to how I live my life. If you want to serve in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site; we take pride in the number of fine young men who have come through this site on their life journey. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
The_Irishman
Egg

Post by The_Irishman »

Good News! I recently received my letter of admission to Norwich! I'm planing on visiting the Campus April 9Th. I researched more into Norwich and other USMA, and I think USMA like Norwich would be a better fit than traditional colleges. My next goal is to get back into shape, I let my self go after I graduated High School. I don't want to do what some of my friends did, they said they'll let the Army get them into shape, and basic was difficult for them. So I guess I'm going to be looking at Nomads thread for a while.
The_Irishman
Egg

Post by The_Irishman »

The_Irishman wrote:Good News! I recently received my letter of admission to Norwich! I'm planing on visiting the Campus April 9Th. I researched more into Norwich and other USMA, and I think USMA like Norwich would be a better fit than traditional colleges. My next goal is to get back into shape, I let my self go after I graduated High School. I don't want to do what some of my friends did, they said they'll let the Army get them into shape, and basic was difficult for them. So I guess I'm going to be looking at Nomads thread for a while.
*Edit Ranger Nomad
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Make the choice that's best for you. Don't just look at Ranger Nomad's Daily Workout thread, do the program. You don't want to show up for ROTC as a wuss.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “Introduction Archive”