Mumbai Terrorist Attacks

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
allmylife
Tadpole

Re: Mumbai Terrorist Attacks

Post by allmylife »

I'm still shocked that a lone gunman could survive that long.
It makes me also wonder what kind of combat load these guys were carrying.
I'm not so sure they planned to survive for a few days.
Operation Enduring Freedom (OCT 09 -AUG 10)
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

allmylife wrote:I'm still shocked that a lone gunman could survive that long.
It makes me also wonder what kind of combat load these guys were carrying.
I'm not so sure they planned to survive for a few days.
I think the passive mentality of the general Indian populace, the poor quality of their police and AT forces, the crushing beuracracy of their government, and the unbelievable throng of humanity in Mumbai added to the body count just as much as the terrorists combat load and training.

You could walk into any market in India with 100 rounds and score 100 hits.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

British soldiers faceing Francis Marion considered him "cowardly" due to the fact the he would hit and run away without giving the Brits a stand up fight.

I am sure that southern civilians burned out by Sherman during the civil war considered it "cowardly".

German civilians living in Dresden probably considered the firestorm created by the 8th airforce ...."cowardly"

Japanese civilians in Nagasaki and Hiroshima, ....those that survived....probably saw a nuclear weapon as "cowardly".

Stupid "cowardly" people do not fly and navigate a modern airliner into a building. It makes no difference if you agree with the idology or not.

Taliban fighters consider a B52 extreamly "cowardly".....

I belive that warfare prosecuted by any means available is desirveing of grudging respect. There are literally millions of people in the world that are celebrating their glorius Martyrdom as I post this.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

rgrpuck wrote:British soldiers faceing Francis Marion considered him "cowardly" due to the fact the he would hit and run away without giving the Brits a stand up fight.

I am sure that southern civilians burned out by Sherman during the civil war considered it "cowardly".

German civilians living in Dresden probably considered the firestorm created by the 8th airforce ...."cowardly"

Japanese civilians in Nagasaki and Hiroshima, ....those that survived....probably saw a nuclear weapon as "cowardly".

Stupid "cowardly" people do not fly and navigate a modern airliner into a building. It makes no difference if you agree with the idology or not.

Taliban fighters consider a B52 extreamly "cowardly".....

I belive that warfare prosecuted by any means available is desirveing of grudging respect. There are literally millions of people in the world that are celebrating their glorius Martyrdom as I post this.
Very good points, I firmly believe our county is hamstrung by our ethics sometimes. If we are going to war then we should look at what our enemy considers normal and at what scares them. Also finding out where these guys come from and making their whole home town disappear would be a good start. We have countries that support so called martyrs families with cash payments; well we could just kill their whole family.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Gordo173
Ranger

Post by Gordo173 »

If you win the fight, you're a 'Freedom Fighter'

If you lose, you're an 'Insurgent', a 'Rebel'

History is written by the winner!
Wpns/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
1/1/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
C,HHC,D/3-6(INF)(Mech)
HHC/2-504 PIR
A/1-504 PIR
HHC/1-82(ABN)
Oopps almost forgot Class 4-84

"Always with the negative waves Moriarity!"
RetPara
Ranger

Post by RetPara »

Regardless if it was cowardly or anything else, the Mumbari attacks have in one violent, absolutely ruthless, well planned and prepared action:
-destabilized the growing peace or at least lowering of belligerence between India and Pakistan.
-Will incite the anti-Islamic Hindu's in India to some kind of violent reaction which will fuel more reaction in the Islamic world.
-puts the one of the more junior Al Quieda franchisees in in a 'higher' order in the terrorist food chain.
-played the anti-Jew/Israeli card by hitting one of the largest Jewish centers in that part of the world.

A LOT of planning and prep in this one. This gives a good bench mark of how LEO's would react to a multiple target terror raid; which provides insight to T&P that would be used. This is generic information that could not of been otherwise gleaned. Also note that one of the senior 'SWAT' leaders were killed early on in the fighting. I have to ask if that was 'leading from the front' or part of the plan.

There were probably a number of observers 'blending' on the outskirts observing the LEA\SOF\Mil reaction. The poor crowd and media control showed in the news footage made target damage assessment pretty easy.

Can you imagine a similar attack in NYC or DC, hit 9 or more targets at the same time. The attackers knew this was a one way trip, but stayed in the fight to the end.
RS2 84-86

Intelligence in a person can be measured.... Stupidity is a bottomless pit which is beyond measure....
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

Rock Island Ranger wrote:Going into a situation where you KNOW the end result is your death...call it what you will and label it anyway you like...I call it bold.
I see your point - the bad guys put their own asses on the line. But against who? Civilians? Screw them they're still cowards. The commandos that ran in after them on the other hand... those cats showed some sack.

Just my .02
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

TC204 wrote:Knowing the end result being their death is what they're trained for, but I can't respect that. I more respect a soldier that fights to his last breath to try to preserve his own life, and the lives of his comrades.
Blowing up a bus full of civilians, shooting unarmed civilians, flying airliners into towers full of civilians, this is a cowards act. Absolutely no honor in my opinion. It's their twisted ideology that makes them believe what they do is honorable.
Then we should give back the US to the Bristish because we fought a cowardly fight. Call it what you want \, label it anyway you want...war mutates as need dictates. Should we say that Air Force bombers are cowards when they kill innocent civilians. And when our guys happen to give some community an enema and women and children die....that cowardly?

I dont buy it nor do I buy how we deal with it. To win, an Army has to be willing to do what the other fears the most. Many have brought that up. So if we go further in that pursuit....are we cowards?

I understand the disgust about killing innocent people. I get it. But...its the way of war now. And yea....we have done it. And in the words of a famous ex leader of mine..."If you aint cheating while fighting, you aint trying hard enough". I adopted that saying and it works. Call me a coward and Ill rip your ears off. 8)
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Gordo173 wrote:If you win the fight, you're a 'Freedom Fighter'

If you lose, you're an 'Insurgent', a 'Rebel'

History is written by the winner!

Yep no truer words.....

General George Washington would have been hung as an insurgent if he had been captured or defeated.

Francis Marion would have been killed as a bandit, history would have forgotin him.

Beneidict Arnold Would have been lauded as a great hero had the British won.

Most people still belive that the American civil war was fought to abolish slavery and see the emancipation proclimation as a majical document......not for the lie that it was.

History is a fickel lady .....
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Our opponent is crafty and committed. I have been subject what could be considered as "cowardly attacks" and on more than one occurence I would have issued the bad guys a posthumous ARCOM/V if I could have.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “The News Dump”