Information

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

I will get back to you, bro.

I just don't have the time to look into this the way I would like yet.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Things may have changed since 'back in the day' when I was in, but I joined the Army from the National Guard without being considered prior service. When I spoke with the Army recruiter while I was in the NG, he offered me the 'unassigned Ranger' option which is equivilent to todays option 40.

Hope that helps and I hope you find your way to one of the Ranger Bns.
JarHedSolja
Tadpole

Post by JarHedSolja »

Two things:

1. Don't count on getting promoted just because you fill a slot and have time in grade.

2. If you remain on active duty from a deployment you will get put right back into the grinder and sent somewhere as if you had just finished boot camp. A friend of mine did this and got set to 1 ID after our mob orders expired. Another thing to keep in mind - if you demob off of title 10 and try to go active duty afterwards, they will do a grade determination (if you are SGT or above) and unless some criteria are met, you will not retain your rank when you go active duty.
1999-2001 USMC
2003-2006 1-148th INF (M)
2006-2009 585th MP Co
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Both answers are correct. One is if you have never been activated (which you have) on title 10 orders. Ranger Bravo57's course will not work for you now unfortunately because you have federal active duty time.

Jarhed mentioned doing the switch while on active duty as you stated you have thought about. This option will give you a bonus but will not give you the opportunity to go to RIP. You will get an assignment as if you were to PCS like a normal soldier would. My retention buds say that you would NOT be eligible for ABN on this route.

Once you demob, you will have to go through a recruiter. OPT 40 would be a no-go through this route, but since the other routes are non-starters as well his would be the best bet. You could enlist with ABN in your contract, get your grade determination (since you are a SGT) and volunteer for RIP at Jump school.

That's the best COA i can see for you.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Recruitment Process”