Cultural advisers to join 1st AD unit for next Iraq tour

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

By John Vandiver, Stars and Stripes
European edition, Wednesday, March 26, 2008

BAUMHOLDER, Germany — When the soldiers of the 2nd Brigade, 1st Armored Division deploy for Iraq in the coming weeks they will depart with a tool absent from their previous two tours.

Since November, Baumholder’s Iron Brigade has been working with a Human Terrain Team, which is part of an experimental Pentagon program that pairs units with cultural advisers. The teams are set up to provide commanders with information ranging from the potential ripple effects of large-scale public works initiatives to lessons in basic regional etiquette.
Adam Silverman, a social scientist deploying with the 2nd Brigade, said the objective is to arm commanders with “open sourceâ€
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

This is interesting. Of course it’s indicative of a slow down that will and should put the Iraqi government and Iraqi military out front. If it works then maybe we can concentrate on Afghanistan and getting OBL/Taliban.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Want the job? Go to baesystems.com/careers or to where ever 'careers' is on the BAE Systems web page. The first hurdle in gaining employment at this premier technology / defense corporation is figuring out how to get the employment details from their web site.
It's a great company to work for, although this is way outside their normal LOB.
Prior service & educated only need apply for this job.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

Reservists can apply through the Human Resource Command website. They are also interested in LEO's and other civilian professions that are primarily non-kinetic in nature.

BTW I can provide any information someone may have about the program.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams

Return to “The News Dump”