Cannabis bigger cancer risk than cigarettes: study

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Chiron
Ranger

Cannabis bigger cancer risk than cigarettes: study

Post by Chiron »

HONG KONG (Reuters) - Smoking a joint is equivalent to 20 cigarettes in terms of lung cancer risk, scientists in New Zealand have found, as they warned of an "epidemic" of lung cancers linked to cannabis.

Studies in the past have demonstrated that cannabis can cause cancer, but few have established a strong link between cannabis use and the actual incidence of lung cancer.

Full story
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Eating the stuff, however is perfectly safe! (and lasts longer)...:wink:

DId I say that outloud?...
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:Eating the stuff, however is perfectly safe! (and lasts longer)...:wink:

Unless you get busted...
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:Eating the stuff, however is perfectly safe! (and lasts longer)...:wink:

Ha! If I ever do something that retarded, I'm blaming it on you!

"But Officer, Doc D. said I should!"
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Good.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

In the near future we may see an 'epidemic' of lung cancers connected with this new carcinogen.
Hmmmm...........new carcinogen ? There are plenty of Americans who have been smoking since the 60's , so they shouldn't have to look far.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Flesh Thorn wrote:
In the near future we may see an 'epidemic' of lung cancers connected with this new carcinogen.
Hmmmm...........new carcinogen ? There are plenty of Americans who have been smoking since the 60's , so they shouldn't have to look far.
I have a picture of my grandfather smoking "reefer" from back in the '20s.

This information is not new, I remember reading about this during research for a term paper back in the early 90s. This number is often touted in anti-legalization propaganda, and is basically comparing apples to oranges.

With exception of a few serious stoners out there, the average dope smoker doesn't smoke an entire joint a day ,where as the average cigarette smoker is over a pack a day.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Flesh Thorn wrote:

Even with the overall number of smokers dropping, the biggest increase is in the teenage population. That is why you are going to have increase.
In this high-exposure group, lung cancer risk rose by 5.7 times for patients who smoked more than a joint a day for 10 years, or two joints a day for 5 years, after adjusting for other variables, including cigarette smoking.
So, the people in this study were already at risk? And what were the other "factors" that were adjusted for?...

So where is the "new" risk again? I guess 1 in 20 counts as an epidemic.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Another study will come out soon showing that daily dope smoking decreases the risk of cancer. It is always back and forth with pot, coffee, alcohol, chocolate, etc. I wish they would legalize it and just let people make their own choices as long as they are not out driving around or doing brain surgery.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Flesh Thorn wrote:Another study will come out soon showing that daily dope smoking decreases the risk of cancer. It is always back and forth with pot, coffee, alcohol, chocolate, etc. I wish they would legalize it and just let people make their own choices as long as they are not out driving around or doing brain surgery.
Or at least decriminalize it like Canada. Instead of putting a motherfucker away for 10 years for a bag of dope, they now charge him $400 a pop, and can write many tickets over that 10 years..
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

moral of the story............DON'T SMOKE DOPE :evil:
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Cannabis bigger cancer risk than cigarettes: study

Post by Steadfast »

excerpt of Chiron wrote:HONG KONG (Reuters) - Smoking a joint is equivalent to 20 cigarettes in terms of lung cancer risk, scientists in New Zealand have found, as they warned of an "epidemic" of lung cancers linked to cannabis
In my mad '70's I found this exact item causing my asthma & bronchitis/hacking cough to act up. So I gave up smoking cigarettes for three years to cut down on my smoking. When I returned for a short stint of resmoking (for another 10 months) I recalled having stopped smoking the funny stuff 3 to 4 months after I quit cigarettes the 1st time.

When I went back to cigarettes I tried Carlton (1mg tar) then switched to True Menthol (4 MG of tar). 7 True Greens had the same amount of tar that one Marlboro (28MG of tar) cigarette had.

But what is worse than a funny cigarette is a funny pipe unless someone give you a shotgun (from a pipe) 8) since some of the tar actually sticks to the cigarette paper and burns off as the flame reaches it unlike the pipe where all smoke flows freely.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
smokn38
Paratrooper

Post by smokn38 »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:
Flesh Thorn wrote:Another study will come out soon showing that daily dope smoking decreases the risk of cancer. It is always back and forth with pot, coffee, alcohol, chocolate, etc. I wish they would legalize it and just let people make their own choices as long as they are not out driving around or doing brain surgery.
Or at least decriminalize it like Canada. Instead of putting a motherfucker away for 10 years for a bag of dope, they now charge him $400 a pop, and can write many tickets over that 10 years..
Only people I have seen go away for 10 years for a bag of dope had garbage bags.
HHC 1/508th Panama 1989-1990
HHC and A Co 1/505th 1990-1992

Return to “The News Dump”