Movie Reviews

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Scoty
Ranger

Post by Scoty »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:
FireFinder wrote:I watched The Kingdom last night. Pretty good flick IMHO. For those of you that have been to Saudi before, how accurate is it as far as the compounds, etc.?
The civilian compounds must be different, because (sp?) Eskan Village, PSAB, and Al Karj didn't look like that. Eskan Village (Riyadh) is pretty huge, and all the buildings look exactly the same; there were not any little houses like what was shown in the movie. The buildings looked more like beige condos or something. Al Karj was all tents, and I didn't see any Patriot batteries set up on PSAB in the movie.

Again, the civilian compounds could be different, and I havn't been there for 10 years.

What did look accurate was Riyadh, the compound entrances, and the road systems; although, the movie did not depict the crazy fucking drivers, and the junked cars all over the sides of the highways.
They filmed most of that shit here in Peenix....out near Jurena's new compound.
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Scoty wrote:
ANGRYCivilian wrote:
FireFinder wrote:I watched The Kingdom last night. Pretty good flick IMHO. For those of you that have been to Saudi before, how accurate is it as far as the compounds, etc.?
The civilian compounds must be different, because (sp?) Eskan Village, PSAB, and Al Karj didn't look like that. Eskan Village (Riyadh) is pretty huge, and all the buildings look exactly the same; there were not any little houses like what was shown in the movie. The buildings looked more like beige condos or something. Al Karj was all tents, and I didn't see any Patriot batteries set up on PSAB in the movie.

Again, the civilian compounds could be different, and I havn't been there for 10 years.

What did look accurate was Riyadh, the compound entrances, and the road systems; although, the movie did not depict the crazy fucking drivers, and the junked cars all over the sides of the highways.
What/where is Peenix and the Jurena compound?
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:I am Legend was great except for the very end when a grenade exploded like an atomic bomb. I have not read the book, and don't remember Omega Man much at all, so I can't compare the current movie to its predecessors.

I Am Legend......finally saw it. Nothing like the book at all. The Last Man on Earth starring Vincent Price was a pretty close to original story.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:
Scoty wrote:
ANGRYCivilian wrote: The civilian compounds must be different, because (sp?) Eskan Village, PSAB, and Al Karj didn't look like that. Eskan Village (Riyadh) is pretty huge, and all the buildings look exactly the same; there were not any little houses like what was shown in the movie. The buildings looked more like beige condos or something. Al Karj was all tents, and I didn't see any Patriot batteries set up on PSAB in the movie.

What/where is Peenix and the Jurena compound?
I think I figured it out (I so we Todd did): Pheonix and/or Ranger Jurena, who is in Texas, right?

Well, I thought it looked authentic, or at least what I remember it looking like.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

I just checked Fandango, and there isn't shit playing this weekend... :x
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Shoot 'Em Up:

I just watched it on ppv. It's totally unrealistic bullshit; but, fun to watch...until, that is, I realized it's anti-gun propaganda.

Fuck this movie. I should have continued watching the Futurama marathon.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:Shoot 'Em Up:

I just watched it on ppv. It's totally unrealistic bullshit
I rented it and just could not maintain any interest.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

I just watched it on ppv. It's totally unrealistic bullshit; but, fun to watch...until, that is, I realized it's anti-gun propaganda.

The wife rented "Shoot em up" this weekend and we couldnt stop laughing the whole way through. This movie was "Cranked" on steroids.

Where'd you get the anti-gun message? Seemed pro-violence to me..
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

GSXRanger wrote:
ANGRYCivilian wrote:Mr Brooks was awesome.
I second that. Awesome movie... LOVED the ending!!! 8)
Finally saw it, bitchin movie.
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

BruteForce wrote:

The wife rented "Shoot em up" this weekend and we couldnt stop laughing the whole way through. This movie was "Cranked" on steroids.

Where'd you get the anti-gun message? Seemed pro-violence to me..
It was pro-violence, but there were little things, like how Smith's family was killed, the comment about hunting deer with an uzi, making a martyr out of that senator or whatever he was. It's just the vibe I got from the movie.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Bond. James Bond scheduled for wide realease this Nov. 7th 8)

New Bond girl is Olga Kurylenko who was smokin' hot in the recently realeased 'Hitman' :D

ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Death Wish. This is one of my all-time favorite movies.

RIP, Charles Bronson.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Sunshine.

I found the movie very deep and almost spiritual (in a geeky sort of way).

It also had awesome sound on 5.1 surround sound.

I started watching 3:10 to Yuma last night and will provide a review once I've finished it. Thus far, not too bad for a western.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

Sweeny Todd
Pretty good if you can tolerate Johnny Depp.
Take the wife/girlfriend and tell her its just a musical. :D

Oh, and Shoot em up, most definitely pissed me off. Here is a producer who glorifies violence and then condemns private responsible gun ownership. The king of all Strawman arguements in a politically motivated movie.

plot... Look how evil and violent gun owners and manufactures are... Bang kill murder bang bang kill kill kill murder bang kill... This is why guns should be illegal. end plot. Fuck that movie. plus it really sucked.
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

RTO wrote:Bond. James Bond scheduled for wide realease this Nov. 7th 8)

New Bond girl is Olga Kurylenko who was smokin' hot in the recently realeased 'Hitman' :D

that lying bitch, she told me she was going to grad school.
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself

Return to “The Mosh Pit”