Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Free tool I have used-

http://dban.sourceforge.net/
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Draco
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Draco »

Good points all, esp EC about degaussing.

Like was recommended, just remove the HD and smash the hell out of it. (Unless you have some serious stuff on there, chances are no one is gonna try to restore it. (Yes, you CAN restore stuff off a physically destroyed disc, just takes talent, patience and the right hardware.))

Just my $.02.
1/10th SFG(A) Bad Toelz, FRG 85-88
Co. G/143rd INF (LRRS) 89-91
Rgr Class 6-92
Jack of all trades 92-present

"Hope and pray that you'll never need me,
But rest assured I will not let you down.
I'll walk beside you but you may not see me,
The strongest among you may not wear a crown." 3DD
VengefulIcebox
Tadpole

Post by VengefulIcebox »

I've used CCleaner Link for awhile with good results. I've never depended on it to erase sensitive information though. Just remedied Spyware and so on.

From their website:

"CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware! :)"

Good luck.
War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over.
-William Tecumseh Sherman
KeyserS175

Post by KeyserS175 »

Well, after getting great advice, it doesn't really matter now. For some reason, last night my computer just CRASHED!!! I'm going to try and get it up and running tonight, but it looks like I may have lost everything anyways.
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

KeyserS175 wrote:Well, after getting great advice, it doesn't really matter now. For some reason, last night my computer just CRASHED!!! I'm going to try and get it up and running tonight, but it looks like I may have lost everything anyways.
Well, the good news is, now you *can* protect your data by smashing the hard drive into pieces.

Just make sure that when you're doing it, you actually break the platters and not just the casing. The platters will look like 3.5 inch diameter copper disks.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
KeyserS175

Post by KeyserS175 »

Just got my new computer today. It is amazing how much one can miss this place after not having access for a few days. My Brother-in-law still has my old computer to see if we can get anything off of it, but so far it doesn't look to good.
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

RangerX is on the money. DBAN is pretty useful. Though, the older the system is, the longer it takes.

You can also use debug.exe to write zeros to the drive. Google using debug to wipe a disk, and you'll find a ton of links.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)

Return to “The Mosh Pit”