Books

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Seabass1-4 wrote:Not Ranger history, but check out Pamwe Chete. History of the Selous Scouts.

Group of SOF in Rhodesia who had the huevos to pull of incredible missions with severely limited resources

The history of that entire WAR is pretty damn facinateing.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
F50LRRP
BANNED

Post by F50LRRP »

TRLewis wrote:SOG was the one with the red cover in paperback? Had a bunch of over the border missions? I love the mock movement they created, and the ammo problems that made letters from Hanoi come down.

Speaking of SOG, these books are good too:

18 months in SOG
Blackjack 33 and 34

SOG were some real professionals, I wish they could get more credit than they have. But these guys wouldn't care if they got credit for what they did, its not in their character.
Blackjack 33 & 34 were not SOG! They were SF missions performed by B-36 (3rd Mobile Strike Force) Mobile Guerilla Force.

Mike
F50LRRP
BANNED

Post by F50LRRP »

FireFinder wrote:
Joseph PrettyDeepWater wrote:Can anybody recommend any good books on Ranger history.
From the beggining days of the Rangers until present would be great.

Thanks.

~Joseph

Rangers at War: Combat Recon in Vietnam by Shelby L. Stanton
To me, this is the definitive book about LRPs, LRRPs and Rangers in the Vietnam War. I'm even in the book.

Mike
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I strongly urge you to read:

The Truth about Muhammad

The Looming Tower

Infiltration: How Muslim Spies and Subversives have infiltrated Washington

A must read for todays Warriors. Period.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

Boyd "The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War"
Great book about an unsung hero. John Boyd has likely saved thousands of US military men through direct action and the influence he has had on others. I was amazed at his achievements and ashamed that he has not been given the recognition he likely deserves. An interesting, entertaining and worthwhile read.
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Check out my book and my website!

Post by garyedolan »

As the author, I am certainly prejudiced. However, I have received nothing but praises and accolades from all who have read my book (Of Their Own Accord) and responded to me. For thirty years, my kids never heard me even mention the words, "Viet Nam," in my house. I simply got mad about the false image perpetrated by the media and entertainment industry and all the talk about "The Greatest Generation," so spent a cathartic 40 days penning my book and an additional 5 years finding an agent and a publisher. Everything but the names are the truth---as I lived it. To see pictures of the people, places and events that inspired my writing, take a look at my web site. I am also proud that Gary Linderer wrote the foreword (which the publisher made the afterword.)

By the way, no good officer I ever knew could "manage" or "administrate" soldiers in combat; a good officer can only lead his soldiers into combat..........
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

I just finished:

- The Night Stalkers (missions of the 160th) <Okay>
- Not a good day to die (Battle of Takur Ghar) <Excellent!>
- The Bitter Woods (by John D. Eisenhower) <Analytical>
- Roberts Ridge (another story of the Battle of Takur Ghar) <Excellent!>

And I'm currently reading:

- Roughneck Nine-One <uh..so, so read>
and
- Darby's Rangers (We led the way) <kinda boring so far>
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

The Black Tigers

The Black Tigers: Rangers of the Second Indochina War: Biet Dong Quan; Compiled, Written and Edited by Command Sergeant Major Michael N. Martin and Lieutenant Colonel McDonald Valentine, Jr.

and available from our own Ranger Quartermaster.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

JLTW!!! wrote:
Abell9 wrote:I just finished reading Generation Kill by Evan Wright. I would very much suggest this read for several reasons. Wright is a free lance writer for Rolling Stone Magazie and you would think his slant would be very much "anti'. War. Not the case. About the 1st Recon USMC. Good look at the mind of our young warriors.

I realize this post is just under 3 years old; however, HBO is apparently making a show along the lines of Band of Brothers, about this book. Not sure when it will be filmed, completed and aired.
The guy who was the PL of the Platoon Wright was imbedded with wrote a pretty good book as well. Nathan Fick I believe the name of the book was "One Bullet Away".

Here's the link for the movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0995832/
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

Mao

Che
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Reading "Terror at Beslan" right now. Should be done shortly. Some very interesting lessons in regards to the ease with which the topic could become reality in our own country.

Other books I read this year included:

"Inside the Jihad", "Gates of Fire", "Global Financial Warriors", "Killer Elite", "Understanding Terror Networks", "Social Intelligence", "Jawbreaker" and a few others I missed.
RTO
BANNED

Online Library Offers 1.5 Million Works and Counting

Post by RTO »

Online Library Offers 1.5 Million Works and Counting

The Universal Digital Library, a book-scanning project backed by several major libraries across the globe, has completed the digitization of 1.5 million books and on Tuesday made them free and publicly available.

The online library offers full text downloads of works that are in the public domain, or for which the copyright holder has given permission to make available. Having the backing of prominent institutions such as the Bibliotheca Alexandrina in Alexandria, Egypt, however, the collection goes far beyond the widely available classics, though those are there, too.

Link To Article Here...

Online Library Link Here....
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Tenn-RGR wrote:I just finished "Of Their Own Accord" by our own Gary Dolan. I got the book on Wednesday and just finished it 10 minutes ago. WOW!! Great book, sir. I hope to meet up with you one day and buy you a drink. I've got a million FNG questions for you. :lol:
If you're reading this thread, run out and grab this book, you wont be disappointed. Thank god for Airborne Rangers!!

Edit to add link:
http://oftheirownaccord.com/Book_Page.htm
Couldn't agree more. It was a great read.
Scout
Embryo

Post by Scout »

Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides was by far the best book I've ever read. It is a brilliant account of the WWII "Great Raid" liberation of the POW camp at Cabanatuan in the Philippines. It's told following the 6th Rangers Battalion under the command of Colonel Henry Mucci. It also details the lives over two years of the POWs surviving the camp. It's truly a great read.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”